Give Psystar its own sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by godslabrat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

As these Professionally-made hackintoshes gain more publicity, would the mods consider making a seperate forum for them? Or, would that depend on the results of the legal battle between Psystar and Apple?

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I hope not. The day that happens, this site should no longer be called 'MacRumors'.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

it's not out of the question but I don't think there's enough traffic to warrant a dedicated forum. how many people here own one?

arn

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

<cricket>
    <cricket>
    <cricket>
    There's your answer.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68020

no way, don't do it. We are here not to encourage doing illegal stuffs. I don't mind hackintosh because its more like a hobby thing but totally no to Psycrap, any topic related to Psycrap that is not published by MacRumors should be locked, deleted and burned!!1 :mad:

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Violating Apple's EULA is not illegal, because it's only an EULA and not a law. It's not even yet proven if Apple's EULA itself is legal. In many countries, it probably is not.

On the other hand, the worst "crime" the Psystar people have ever committed was to sell stuff that people actually want: A mid range tower capable of running OS X.

I'm only an Apple customer and not a member of the "Holy Church of Apple". Apple is yet another corporation, just like Microsoft, Dell or Sony. If you define yourself through the products that you purchase, you have a serious problem.

In any case, let's wait for a court decision before we publicly burn Psystar at the stake for heresy.

In the meanwhile, yes, a forum for Psystar would be a good idea because it seems to be something folks here are interested in.

A pure Hackintosh forum is also a great idea. At the moment, my Mac Pro is still fine, but when I take a look at the current developments, I'm becoming a bit concerned. Apple's hardware portfolio increasingly sucks (no Firewire, no matte screens, no 23 Cinema Display anymore, no mid class towers) so it begins to make perfect sense to build an own computer to my own specifications that can still run all the expensive software that I've bought.

And if Apple wants to sue me here in Germany, I'd love to hear what German courts will have to say about Apple's EULA. They've already declared Microsoft's OEM bundling policies and end-user EULA illegal, and I doubt that Apple would get a thumbs-up from them. The only reason why Apple can still have that "for Apple-labeled computers" phrase in their EULA is that their market share is so insignificant here in Germany that nobody actually cared to take legal steps and Apple, on the other hand, would be foolish to sue somebody here for putting (and selling) OS X on non-Apple hardware.

But Apple's still mostly a US-only company, and there they might have a good chance to enforce their anti-competitive EULA - which is a bad thing for their customers in that country.

Anyway. Let's wait for the court(s) and let's hope that they will rule to the benefit of the customers and not to the benefit of a corporation.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Its an agreement, when you click "Agree" that you will abide by, and that is as a law or contract. That is why people can be prosecuted for breach of it.

As for wanting a forum to discuss it, let those users create their own somewhere else. This is a Mac sight, and support should be to it and Apple, not a company that chooses to not follow what's right and what's wrong.

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Never mind Apple in the plystar thing. What about the people's code they stole that said it was never to be used for commercial use and whom they don't even credit for it.

All they have done is stole one company product, tacked on a hack that has conditions against commercial use onto some of the shelf cheep computer components inside $13 chassis and slapped a sticker on it to sell on there site.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Almost needs it's own sub-forum just for the legal talk.

But of course it gets as heated as the political forum, so sticking Psystar in as a Political sub-forum might work.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It may be a contract.
    It is not a law.

arn

13. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

We don't need a psystar forum, we just need a general hackintosh forum, I mean, if you were going to get into that stuff here.

14. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Erm no. that is you being ignorant. The worst crime Psycrap done is using people code provided free and commercialize it.

Oh yea, and if you guys want to make a hackintosh forum, any post related to Psycrap should be deleted and banned cause hackintosh is for people who transform their own ordinary PC into running OS X not buying a rip-off product from a company which claim there is an OS X market.

Die Psycrap, DIE!!!

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Calm down, killer.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree it would be nice to have a hackintosh forum like we have an iphone hacks forum

17. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Whats the click-through rate for Hackintosh-related adwords?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's the main reason why I wouldn't want to see one. ;)

A slippery slope.

19. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

20. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

The official Hackintosh thread now has over 1000 replies to it. It's definitely time for MR to start a new subforum dedicated to non-Apple-hardware Macintoshes. This would include Psystar machines, and all the myriad hackintosh machines that have OS X running on them like the MSI Wind, etc.

It's time.

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1000 posts out of the 6,600,000 posts on MR. I think if there is to be a dedicated forum then I would want to see a repair permissions one first. :p

When you look at the number of people who have posted, only 241 unique posters with 110 who have posted more than once.

17 posters who have posted 10 or more times and these account for 57% of all posts in that thread.

Hardly a massive amount of post/ers when you look at the numbers.

If there is consideration for hackintoshes/osx installed on other computers I would want to see a linux subforum as well. After all we have a windows forum yet no linux.

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I say we wait for a year.....

No point in making then deleting a whole forum after the Courtroom war late next year!

23. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

In a way, it is Law, in that with companies, if you breach a contract, you go to court. The laws regarding Contracts, if i remember right, agree that a breach would have consequences, and it is Law that backs up contracts in court and their enforcement.

Not looking for argument here, :p just think that when a person agrees to something, they are obliged to honor it. There fore, it wouldn't be possible to use OSX on another machine other than an apple one.

24. wheelhot macrumors 68020

No, MR should definitely not support illegal stuffs.

If you guys want to have psycrap forum then there must be an iPhone hack forum.

I'll say lets vote for a Linux forum!!!.

People who made their own hackintosh (buying/build their own PC rather then buying one from Psycrap) would know the risk they are getting into and why support a crappy company with crappy build if you can get a better quality and better build if you build you own? Its pretty easy, there is a guide to do that.