Give son my iphone 4 as his "new" ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nyexpat, Aug 26, 2011.

1. nyexpat macrumors newbie

Just trying to save a bit of money and possibly just make an upgrade myself to the iphone5 when it comes out! ;-)

I promised my son an ipod for his birthday (8/3) and haven't yet made the purchase. Was wondering if my iphone 4 (without a phone contract attached to it) would be a decent replacement for an ipod??

I don't game, etc. and that's really all he'd use it for in my estimation, besides music, which he doesn't have a ton of.

Any thoughts?

Also, I've heard of people getting iphone/ipod replacements when they purchase directly from the apple store?? i.e. my iphone screen got cracked and I know from AT&T when I purchased it that the screen wasn't/isn't covered??

Thanks for your help!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

An unlocked iPhone is close to $700. a 32gB iPod touch is $299. You still need some kind of sim to get the iPhone activated to do anything. If your son gets an iPhone he will be begging for a phone contract, which runs about $ 70 per month.

3. DaREdBaRoN, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

You could certainly do that. If you leave it unactivated he would still be able to use wifi and do evertything an iPod touch will do. And with iOS 5 and iMessage he would be able to send text messages to other people with iOS 5 devices. He would obviously not be able to make calls or anything like that, but it would work.

As far as replacements go, I've heard the apple store will sometimes replaced a damaged phone. However, damage isn't something that the warranty covers, so I think it's a case by case kind of thing.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I agree. Using the iPhone would work, but he will end up begging to get it activated.

I think you should buy an iPod touch, keep your iPhone 4, and later sell the iPhone 4 to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Since you're considering giving the iPhone, then you could even sell it now before the iPhone 5 launches and get more $$$ for it. An iPhone 4 will sell for a lot more than a new iPod touch would cost.

5. CrzySausageBaby macrumors newbie

I used to have the iPod Touch 4th gen, but I returned it and bought an iPhone 4 instead.....I still haven't gotten a service plan for it, but using it as an iPod is amazing! I think that you'd do just fine giving your son your iPhone 4 and upgrading to the iPhone 5! :cool:

6. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

iPhone 4 has better battery life and also looks better (IMO)

7. nyexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice

I think I'm actually going to try it, i.e. upgrade my iphone 4 to an iphone5 (for me) and then give my son the un/deactivated iphone 4.
    Yeah. He'll ask for it to be activated, but he'll have to just get used to it. ha!

Also, that way, he can upgrade the iOS on it (correct?) and eventually use it as a phone when I think he's ready. (which in my opinion, is never.) '-)

He just turned 11. Can't believe all the kids out there with all the gadgets.
    And parents wonder why they get into trouble. :eek:

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Before you do this, you might want to check out how much you could get for the iPhone4 on Craigslist or eBay. You might want to sell the iPhone4 and buy an iPod touch for your son.

9. nyexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

my phone's screen is cracked, therefore, can't sell

After reading other posts, am gonna go to the Apple store to see if they'll do one of those courtesy replacements.

(fell out of my bag and perfectly on the cement) :(

10. WLS macrumors 65816

Yes give him the iphone if you want to put it on a data plan or get him a limited voice plan that's good but unlimited messaging that would be a great idea too. Plus and this is a biggie you can use the Find my iPhone app to locate where he and the phone is at any time. If he gets lost or gets taken on a joy ride by someone you can go right to where he is.

11. tablo13, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yeah, without the phone part, IMO iPhone 4 is better than iPod touch in every aspect(screen, design, camera, speakers...) and best of all doesn't have the extremely easy to scratch polished stainless steel back.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

And is a lot more fragile.

13. nyexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Like that find my iphone part!

Forgot about that one.
    Am gonna get a pretty intense protector for his (now mine) phone, too
    as it IS fragile and am pretty sure he's not concerned about its slim appearance. ha!

Just hoping the iphone5 comes out quickly! :p

14. Des Zac macrumors regular

Don't forget it will have a built in microphone, much better camera, much better quality all around, and some apps that only work with the iphone! I think that is a generous and great idea!

15. hayesk macrumors 65816

Get a case.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'll have to put in an active/inactive at&t sim in it. For your son, the inactive sim or at&t's pre-paid sim is your best bet.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd personally prefer an iPod touch than an un-activated iPhone, but that's just me.

18. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Same here. It's really hard to do anything on an un-activated iPhone. =\

19. brendu macrumors 68020

I would sell the iPhone on ebay, buy an iPod touch and still have some cash to put towards the iPhone 5

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yup, and not only that, he could buy an iPod touch with a higher capacity than his iPhone 4 if he sells the iPhone 4 and puts money towards an iPod touch.

21. radiohed, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

radiohed macrumors regular

So you get a new iphone and your son gets a hand me down non activated iphone for his birthday. :confused: What a good dad :p When he pulls out his iphone and has to explain to his friends that it doesn't actually work...well poor kid.

22. kailibur macrumors member

otterbox. is. the. best. defender. ever. <see! theres the period there

----------

if you had any listening/reading skills, you would notice he was ONLY 11. i believe thats way to young to actually have a data plan and iphone. and im a 13 year old gadget head. and i still dont believe even i need it.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If the op can't fix/replace the phone, he probably will have a hard time selling it, right?

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPhone 4 makes a better iPod Touch than an iPod Touch does. (better screen, faster, better camera, better speaker, so on).

25. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Agreed! The iPhone 4 would be much better than an iPod Touch (camera alone makes it much better). Plus, you'd save yourself the hassle of selling the iPhone 4 or having to buy the IPT.

Now, if your son doesn't want, I'll take it!

Wish I had such gizmos at age 11-- I was out snow shoveling neighbors' walks to earn enough $ to buy a 3" telescope-- a whopping big $29. That was the biggest item I even had as a kid.

Do let us know what you end up doing!

Of course, there could also be an IPT 5G which would mess all the advice!