Give the Apple Watch a chance please

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EvilManatee, Mar 31, 2015.

1. EvilManatee macrumors member

EvilManatee

It seems to me for every person on this site who is excited about the Apple Watch there is another who wants to list all the reasons they think it is dumb and will not succeed. Kind of reminds me of the people who bashed the iPad before it came out. In case you don't remember, just google "Why the iPad will not succeed" and have fun reading articles from authors who now have egg on their face. Here's one.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/te...ad-will-fail-to-win-significant-market-share/

I for one am personally super excited about the Apple Watch and think it is a bit premature for people to write it off as a failure. Having owned both a Pebble and a Nike Fuel Band I can see the utility of wearables. I am looking forward to one device that will replace both my Pebble and Nike Fuel Band.

While it is true Apple was not first to market with the smart watch, I really believe the Apple Watch will be the best Smart Watch on the market. Everyone raves about the Moto 360 but honestly to me it feels cheap. The Pebble was a nice smart watch but the small monochromatic screen that would look horrible when viewed through polarized sunglasses also did not scream quality.

I really don't understand why people need to come on an Apple fan site and berate an Apple product that they have no hands on experience with and frankly do not understand. I think the Apple Watch is going to transform the smart watch market (much like the first iPod transformed the MP3 player market).

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Most of what has been said will all go out the window on April 24th. Everything will reset and we will begin again. Don't get too worked up about what people say right now. Only a handful of people in the world have actually used one.

3. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I definitely think we should give it a chance. But personally, I wouldn't buy one at this price until at least the second generation--because then I'll know how it works, Apple will have fixed a ton of bugs and new features will be added.

So while I do think it deserves a chance in theory, I won't give it a chance with my wallet just yet.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sorry, but the AW haters are more likely to give peas a chance.

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

And I don't understand why someone would join a site just to beg people to give the :apple:watch a chance.

That said, people will make up their own minds. The pleas of a newbie will not be considered.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sure, people do that. You did something similar in your post, listing things you didn't like about the Moto 360 and Pebble. Others like them.

I'm with you on this part. People who've already experienced some of the advantages of wearables will be first in line, and help spread the word to friends and family.

Best in the iPhone market, anyway. And Apple will keep it that way by keeping some APIs private, a practice that people used to bash Microsoft for. It'd be better for everyone if Apple had competition in its own market, but we all know that they don't play that way.

Looking through the threads, it looks like many/most of the people who aren't infatuated by it, are Apple fans who have belonged to this site for years. Many predate the iPhone era. Fans don't have to immediately love everything Apple makes. Sometimes it takes a while :)

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I agree. It is my Pebble that has shown me why I know I will love the Apple Watch. It will be nice to ditch the black plastic for something that looks great and is more of a smart watch than a smart display.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Same. Can't wait to ditch my pebble for a apple watch.

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I think the competition is rooting for Apple more than they admit.

There were a lot of failed smartphones (I know I bought them) before the iPhone showed the world why we needed one. Now there is a lot of good competition and everyone (well the good ones) is making money.

There were tablet computers out there before the iPad. Now the public has embraced them and most households have one.

The same could happen with the Watch. Yes, there are a lot of them out there but the public has not noticed. Just us geeks. I see thousands of tourists every year and in the last year and a half I have only spotted 2 Pebbles and one Android (and at least 50 Rolexes).

If the Apple Watch does not get noticed by the public then I think it will be a while before they take off.

The great thing is that if it DOES take off then the research focus will be greater like with the phones and in 10 years the choices will be AMAZING.

10. EvilManatee thread starter macrumors member

EvilManatee

I didn't just join to beg people to give the watch a chance. I've been a longtime Apple fan and longtime reader of this site, but felt it was finally time to contribute to the conversation. Being a big watch geek and Apple guy, I am super stoked for this product. Thanks for being so welcoming to the new guy. Maybe you will begin to consider my opinions after I have a few more posts under my belt.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have seen many posts that start out exactly like yours. Until we have the product in hand, no amount of discussion is going to sway people one way or the other no matter how many posts you have under your belt.

Sorry for the negativity, it just seems that there are way too many threads started that could easily fit inside an existing thread.

12. EvilManatee thread starter macrumors member

EvilManatee

Thanks. I guess my point was just that so many people are quick to write this off without even having used it because they cannot understand how it would be useful to them or they compare it to existing smart products. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do love coming here and reading the forums because when I talk to my wife about the Apple watch she pretty much just rolls her eyes. #

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Don't worry if you are new here. At first it is a bit of a shock to see some of the negativity. After a while you learn who to just ignore because they are determined to undermine just about anything. I stopped replying to most of them because it is just a waste of time.

Luckily most of us here are truly trying to learn something about the product or are just excited because we love trying new technology. This happens with every new Apple product. I have not checked other forums. Not sure if the Apple fans spend a lot of time posting on the Android forums to put it down.

14. hemolyzer macrumors member

Really now.

People berating new tech is nothing to get worked up over.

This thread is not going to change the minds of anyone who doesn't think spending hundreds on a smart watch is a good investment. This forum is full of autistic people freaking out over nothing and asking the same questions about stuff nobody has the answer to over and over.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

My husband was the same 'at first'. Then I was told I was absolutely not allowed to get one right now because we could not afford it (because he had no idea it was not available yet and wanted to get me one for Xmas). Once the full announcement and dates came out he insisted I get myself the SS with Link instead of starting with SS with Black Sports band.

Now he is probably going to get one himself (after we see mine). :D

16. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Best quote from this article:

"In the end, I think that the iPad will eventually be regarded much like Apple TV – a product that Jobs should have left on the drawing boards."

:D

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Neither have the people who are sure it is going to be an amazing success. ;)

I'm still not convinced by the need for smartwatches but I'll be taking notice of the feedback and reviews once they are in the hands (and on the wrists) of the public. As kdarling wisely says...

18. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

19. Quijano187 macrumors member

Why do you care so much what other people think ? SMH ... Be a leader not a follower.. my 2 cents ;)

20. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

The marketplace will decide if it's worthy. Simple as that.

And even if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it still could bomb.

As far a haters go. If everyone was all smiles and positive, now THAT would be nightmarish :D

21. EvilManatee thread starter macrumors member

EvilManatee

damn my cover has been blown LOL

22. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

I personally do not care what people think. I am buying the AW and going to have fun with it.

Remember, Apple was not the first to have smart watches. I had a Motorolla smart watch and didn't care for it. When the I received the first iPhone I loved smart phones again.

Apple wasn't the first to make desktop computers, they made them simple to use. We didn't have to know DOS code.

Apple wasn't he first to have tablets, I played with one and I didn't care for it. When I bought my first iPad, it was amazing.

I think Apple isn't e first to come out with new products, they just make them better.

23. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

YEP. (We all know you meant to say smart phone) :D

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

At every new Apple product release, we always get naysayers who'll eventually sing a different tune after debut. I just dismiss them as a temporary lost cause because I know they'll eventually cave in so I don't waste my time with them.

25. VFC macrumors 6502a