Give the Storm some credit, guys.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanshor, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shanshor macrumors regular

In no way do I want to bash the iPhone, because i have the iPod touch and love it. I am merely trying to get this community to see the other side of things. First off, that review of the Storm on Digg was HEAVILY biased. When he is talking about memory expansion, i remember that was one of the main things hindering the iPhone. RIM also listened to frustrated iPhone users when referring to the keyboard. To solve the problem, they added a 'click' mechanism to it. From the people i know who have it, they can type at a very good pace with it. Give RIM some credit. They threw in the glass touchscreen, something many competitors do not have. Multi-touch for copy/paste, and RIM said they were finding more ways to use the multi touch.

Again, I know the iPhone deserves credit as well, but you need to give credit where credit is due. I love the OS of iPhone, the look and feel, but a also feel the Storm will really give it a run for its money, especially when RIM starts reeling out the App Store and other software revisions.

Throw in the ease-of-use and the Blackberry gold standard to email and business, it could be a real competition. Let's face it, the Storm has its flaws like iPhone and every other device, but the deciding factor will be the type of consumer. The iPhone is more of a 'toy' than anything else.

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

You were going really well until the last sentence ;)

iPhone isn't really a toy ... its a very powerful device but the storm is a worthy oponent and if it does nothing else it will help to drive the iPhone forward

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

4. me2000 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry.. but the iPhone is definitely not a toy. It has A LOT of uses that make life easier and more fun.

And still... no phone (even the Storm) can match the iPhone's safari browser.

5. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

My opinion?
    In the end, they are all just phones. I'm sure the Storm is a nice phone to use, and the iPhone is nice to use as well.

6. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Forgetting the iPhone altogether.

Blackberry's are renowned for their email capabilities and ease of use for emails and messaging.

Blackberry's newest handset (The Storm) is not currently easy to use for that one thing, after calls, that people historically choose to use Blackberry's for. Emails and messaging.

The click screen and inaccuracy of typing makes things far more difficult than they need to be.

7. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

A phone is a phone

To be quite honest with you

If it can make calls then i dont care really.

In the past when i have had nice phones i have never used half of the features.

I would love an iPhone but i dont really think i need all that

ML

8. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

IF it isn't a toy, geared towards consumers and not business people, shouldn't they advertise that instead of their app store

Inaccuracy of typing?! LOL that is exactly what RIM was fixing by adding the SurePress

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So every product not peddled to the business world is a toy?

WTF kinda thinking is that?

As for the click, well thats just a little metal plate with a dimple for people who are blind apparantly. You see the letter on the screen, it means it registered the click, why do we need some sort of halfway system for people who cant get over a physical response to keys?

Any way the only real qualm i have about that phone is a biggie, NO FREAKING WIFI!

I sure as hell wouldnt use the internet on it without wifi cuz i dont want to be raped by data useage bills (sure theres "unlimited" but that has a cap on it!).

Somethings seriously wrong with these companies if they think copy and paste is more important to the consumer than wifi.

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I know, but on the current launch release firmware it's backfired on them. Go and try it. I've played extensively with the Vodafone UK one's.

11. camarobh macrumors 6502

The iPhone is most certainly not a toy. The app store is full of non-game apps that are extremely useful. The iPhone was absolutely aimed at consumers at launch, and improved with Exchange support for business users.

I hope that the Storm does well as that will push Apple to continue to improve the iPhone. Competition is a good thing.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've read, the Storm's nice-looking OS is just a candy shell on top of their same old system. Scratch more than the surface and you're back into the 'old' system. Kind of like how Windows 95 was just an interface on top of DOS.

So I'm not saying this is bad, but it makes me wonder how much the Storm will be able to challenge the iPhone's OS when it's not actually a brand new system, but just a spruced-up old one.

Again, I don't know. Maybe it's great. But this is something I want to know more about.

Also, the lack of wi-fi is a pretty big deal. I don't know if Verizon actually blocked it or if it was RIM's idea. But either way, that's not good. Even if you don't use wi-fi it makes you wonder where else they cut corners, hm?

13. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I believe 'The Network' blocked it. Why would they allow you to get free internet, when they can charge you $49/mo + Tax/Fees, and cap your data after a certain amount of usage?

It's happened before, and it will continue to happen. Look at AT&T's Curve vs. T-Mo's Curve.

14. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

As I said in another thread:

"As with everything at this forum there is very little objectivity towards anything non-Apple. "

Im a Mac user, I used an iPhone for a year and a half, have had iPods forever, but I dont profess everything Apple makes to be the end-all, be-all of that particular product. I know there are others that think the same way, but overall at this or most Mac forums its either Apple or its crap.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I was thinking the same thing.

And I think that the Storm is doing fairly well for itself, but in my eyes the iPhone remains superior.

16. pintnight macrumors 6502

17. efice32 macrumors 6502

careful, your blackberry fanboy-ness is showing ;)

18. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

I personally have nothing against the Storm. However, I always tell the truth.

RIM cannot take over a market Apple already had control of long before the iPhone. For them to do that, the Storm would have to be much better than the iPhone.

Don't forget, it's not only the hardware but the software as well. There's no competition for iTunes at the moment. Not so much for design, but in terms of sheer popularity.

The Storm will help Verizon retain its customers, nothing more.

I would like to see how the Storm fares out in 6 months to 1 year. Remember the Voyager?

19. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

What market are you talking about?

20. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

true, there are many non-game apps in the app store, however, there are more games than anything else.

And i think its great that apple has tried to improve exchange. with the launch of their background notification service (2 months behind as of now) it will really help the cause.

21. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

MP3 / media player market.

22. bklyn bruiser macrumors newbie

This is an iPhone forum... I say we string him up guys....

23. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Good one!

24. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

So how is RIM trying to take over the mp3 market? Thats like saying Apple, with the release of the iPhone, tried to take over the email market from RIM.

I really, really do love Apple products but the fanboyism is just completely out of control around here.

25. ignus graius macrumors regular

Brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.