Given up on iPad as work solution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by liquid stereo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. liquid stereo macrumors regular

I consider my iPad purchase as a laptop replacement (for Keynote and such) to be a failure. I've had it with file size, image/movie format (codec) issues. I'm done. Its great as a reader but all else is severely compromised.

I'm now looking to purchase a MacBook Air.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple never said that the iPad would be a replacement to your Laptop/Desktop. They both offer different functionality and its obvious that an iPad doesn't meet your requirements.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They did say that it was meant to slot between a laptop and a smartphone in capability. Sounds like you needed a laptop the whole time.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Its effectiveness as a "work solution" really depends on the type of work you do. I know contractors, lawyers and physicians who find it to be very effective for their needs. But it's clearly not a perfect solution for all.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Didn't you see the keynote and the iPad 2 video? According to Steve Jobs and the Apple Vice Presidents, the iPad very officially is a "post-PC" device. I think it should be safe to assume that a "post-something" device should easily be able to replace its predecessor.

And where does an iPad offer different functionality than a laptop? It has a different form factor and a touch interface instead of a mouse, that's it.

You know what the real reason is why an iPad cannot compete with a notebook? It's because of its castrated and artificially restricted operating system. Jailbreak the device and it can very easily replace a notebook for most tasks.

7. Lonectzn macrumors member

Having an android mobile and the iPad I can say that Apple is going to have to make some massive improvements in iOS 5 to be able to keep up.

The lack of basic things like a file system and inter-App communication really show how unfinished iOS is. Too often I find myself having to switch to my phone for simple things because the iPad just can't do it. Try posting an item on eBay (flash file uploader) or uploading an image on imageshack or posting an ad on gumtree (HTML file uploader). I can do these on android but not iOS.

Not to mention how chained it is to iTunes. I don't even bother taking it with me these days, it just sits at home controlling apple tv and browsing the news, which are about the only things it handles beautifully. I can't imagine anyone using both android and iOS for a serious length of time without getting frustrated. The novelty of the beautiful interface eventually fades as you keep hitting wall after wall of missing functionality.

8. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

It's a new idea with limited capabilities so far, to me it just seems still a bit half baked for anything other than email, surfing and play. I'd much rather type a long email with a proper keyboard or a short email on an iphone. I do think a refurb macbook air is a better buy personally but then you lose some of the nice and core features of the iPad like ease of use and built in 3G. Getting out a laptop and opening it up and balancing it on your hand is more problematic that just whipping it out and glancing at ut and those 3G dongles for laptops are useless, at least in the UK they are. I wish I could tether a camera to an iPad and use it to shoot with but that's a long way off. It all just seems a bit too embrioic or even mickey mouse still for me. Gonna wait and see I think.

9. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I think as others have stated it's obviously not supposed to completely replace a laptop. for instance you can't transcode video on it.

but what did you mean by
    "I've had it with file size, image/movie format (codec) issues. "

what were the file size issues? image issues? codec issues i get.

I think computers will always be around as the kind of do-it-all devices. Whereas apples idea of "post-pc" focuses more on how *most* people use a computer vs how *everyone* uses it.

for instance, most people never deal with any image format other than jpg. which the ipad handles just fine and will pull of cameras, the web, emails, your computer, etc.

Apple is pushing people to download video/music from itunes, so there's never compatibility issues there, and the industry as a whole is moving towards digital downloads and streaming. I don't think netflix is gonna pop up on your ipad with a codec error. (though ya, if you downloaded the latest episode of house off of bittorrent you're gonna have to convert it or stream it)

Though I hear lots of good things about the macbook air (minus raw power) so I hope that works out well for you.

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

+1. It was never intended to be a perfect solution. In many ways Apple created the need for this device, but only after careful analysis of the market, specifically at netbooks and laptops and why some people chose netbooks over laptops.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Hello McFly? It's a big iPod Touch. What did you expect?

12. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I think Apple are on the case

The recent Lion OS preview shows u that there will be a file system and we will be able to access wirelessly folders on our Macs via the iPad and vice versa.

I think business requirements such as this will be coming very shortly

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you bought the iPad. If it doesn't meet your needs then you are smart to move on to something that does.

14. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

how does lion show us there will be an accessable file system on the ipad? not saying there won't be but I don't recall them pointing that way.

15. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

They also said the iPod and iPhone are "post-PC" devices, does that make you think they replace the PC?

16. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Steve also said WAY back when, that we'd get multi-language audio+ soft subtitles on the iphone. I've still yet to get multi-audio tracks to work.

17. deadwalrus macrumors regular

I would suppose that a lot of people could use the functionality of being able to upload a file from a browser, or use track changes, or view footnotes in Word documents, or drag a bunch of PDFs onto the iPad without having to stumble through iTunes. Given that they are unable to do these appallingly mundane tasks, however, they will simply use it as a big iPod touch. Which it is. Which is fine, for now -- because Honeycomb is currently half-baked. But when it is not -- if Honeycomb can function as an actual laptop-replacement and the iPad cannot -- Google will eat Apple's lunch.

I would prefer for Apple to get their **** together. It's really not that far off -- a simple file system and the ability to plug in the iPad and treat it like a USB dongle instead of having to go through iTunes would go a long way to plug the holes. What I really want is to not have to drag my laptop with me on short business trips. If, in a year, Google gets me there and the iPad is still a web-surfing toy, I will reluctantly get a Honeycomb tab.

18. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Any system is always a trade-off. It'd be nice if MICROSOFT got off their butts and made office for ipad, but that's not gonna happen either. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it as an exclusive feature for their tablets as a big fat bullet point on the sales slides.

There are lots of ways to get files onto the ipad without itunes. dropbox for instance. though I do agree with you that they need to work on better ways to pull content from other apps like trying to upload a picture through the browser. you can't even pull a picture into an email without copying it first or doing it from the photo app first.

the problem is that no other tablet system does it better. you can always go back a computer for the ipad's shortcomings, but you could make tons of complaints about that too. "why isn't my laptop lighter and more portable? how come the battery only lasts 2 hours instead of 10?"

portability and convenience will almost always equal reduced functionality (and security)

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Perhaps you'd like to share with us what it is that you'd like it to do for you as a business tool?

I use Keynote to give presentations and Good Reader to hold most of my folders and files that I need to take with me. Wifi transfer of files is a snap.

Keep in mind, the iPad sits between a Smart Phone and a Laptop not as a replacement for either. The apps I have on my iPhone are completely different than my iPad with maybe 2-3 of them the same.

I'm still investigating new uses of the iPad as a business tool as well, but in the mean time, I'm using it as a very effective one right now.

Just share with us what you need it to do and a little about your market.

20. observer macrumors member

I had hoped to use the ipad for three things: general daily web browsing, reading, recreation; showing photos and videos; and replacing a laptop for travel, specifically to grant review meetings.

Recreation: This was easy from the beginning. It's much more convenient than even a laptop, and is just overall great.

Photos and videos: it took me a long time to discover how to get videos onto the ipad. The only way that works (for me) is to take the SD card out of the camera and stick it into the Camera Connection adapter -- usb didn't work, and going through itunes didn't either, I forget why. But, now that I know to use the SD card, it works great. I suppose it would be nice to be able to edit videos on the ipad, but it's not worth upgrading from the ipad 1 just for that.

Travel: It took a couple of trips to collect what I needed -- I have to read and search a few dozen largish password-protected pdf files, and write comments in .doc files. GoodReader and Pages filled the bill. The file system is a limitation here -- I can't dump a pile of files into the ipad, and it takes some thought to make sure I'm bringing along everything I need. But the system is still developing. If it's possible to have a big music collection (and it is), then it should be possible to have a big pdf collection, and be able to locate what you want within it. It's ok now, and I expect it to get better. And it is simply wonderful to have such a light and compact thing, and not have to lug around a laptop. Even a 13" Macbook gets heavy.

It looks like I'll be able to use the ipad for presentations as of the next iOS upgrade. It's getting there.

21. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I think that it's clear that Apple is trying to reinvent the idea of the file system. The iPad does have a file system, it's just hidden right now, unless you JB and install ifile.

Currently, from the user perspective, files are exclusively associated with apps. This breaks down when you want to, for example, edit a photo in an editing app then view it in the photo app. Right now, the solution is to pull the photo from the photo app, edit it, then save it back to the photo app. It is, to say the least, a bit clumsy. And, of course, it's even more problematic when an app doesn't have the capability of accessing any files when it needs to, such as Safari.

I'd agree that the iPad needs some kind of file storage system that can be shared in some sense. I expect that, just as iOS didn't originally have cut and paste functionality while Apple figured out the best way (in their opinion - and I think they did a pretty good job with it) to implement it, Apple is currently working out a new paradigm for a filesystem. As their current approach is pretty clearly based on an application centric position, I expect that what they eventually deliver will build on this. Perhaps there will be a method for apps to report the files that they "oversee", much the same way that pictures can now be pulled into other apps. Whether they end up choosing to allow some kind of central file repository where app-neutral files could sit remains to be seen. But, even if they don't, if they provide better inter-app communication, something like what I outlined above, then an app like GoodReader could easily become something like a central repository for files that are, essentially, app-neutral.

22. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I love my iPad, but if I travelled for work, I would also have a laptop. The ipad, because of it form factor, is better for consumption. I don't think that it is limited to reading the news, but it is limited when compared to a laptop.

I would suggest that people read about products before they buy them based on a company's marketing. Especially if they have a specific use. (BMW M3 may be billed as the "Ultimate Driving Machine", but I don't think it is the ultimate driving machine for every situation...a Jeep might be a better driving machine in many specific situations).

Get some real reviews, post questions online, etc.. With all the information available on the web today, it is really sad that people don't take time to do their homework.... but somehow seem to find a lot of time to complain.

23. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

While I certainly agree that the iPad has limitations, I would put a caveat on what you said. If I travelled for work, I might want to bring a laptop. It would all depend on the nature of my traveling needs.

This reminded me of Jobs' analogy of computers being like trucks and iPad and other "post-PC" devices being like cars (or perhaps motor cycles or mo-peds, etc, as the case may be). I mean, could you imagine the ridicule that someone would face if they bought a BMW M3 and then complained that they couldn't fit a stack of 4x8 sheets of plywood in the trunk? But, to that end, people understand the difference between cars and trucks. They are still coming to grips with the difference between PCs and "post-PC" devices.

Well said.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the iPad is a great work computer ... if you have a job playing Angry Birds

25. lilo777 macrumors 603

No surprises here. Phone OSes (be it iOS or Android) obviously are not good replacements for desktop OSes. You can try Windows tablet. Those probably should do better.