Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
ipad compared to an MBP is a toy

Kind of a useless statement, and without any context.

When you're talking business use, the main thing that matters is usefulness.

I don't buy a device because it is new or shiny, I buy it if it will help me do what I do better. That's how I make professional purchase decisions. Personally, I try to determine if it will help me enjoy my life more and if it fits in with the calculus of how I conduct my personal affairs.

The iPad is useful in ways that have nothing to do with processing power, operating system, etc. So if you use it as a "third device" and use it to it's strengths, it can dwarf the MBPRO. I know, I own both.

But if you look at just processing power and file structures and snow leopard and etc... then sure, the MBPRO is a desktop, something the iPad was never DESIGNED to be.

Based on usefulness, though, they both swing for the bleachers according to their designed uses.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
I guess you aint read the Lion preview (scroll to the bottom of Apples Lion Preview page)

File Sharing for iPad
Lion Server delivers wireless file sharing for iPad. Enabling WebDAV in Lion Server gives iPad users the ability to access, copy, and share documents on the server from applications such as Keynote, Numbers, and Pages

But it wont be comptible with the first ipad baccording to an IGN rumor and preview a while back. The first iapd may not be poerful enough for lion or have the memory.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, here it is: The iPad isn't a computer ... at least, not as you obviously define the term. Instead, the iPad is a device designed to promote content consumption.

I also happen to use it to make sales presentations and to facilitate clients I've sold, but I'm a very niche user. As a personal computer, the lack of a genuine keyboard and very few professional application options render it almost useless.

I also own an Air ... and a MacBook Pro ... and an iMac. I use them all for different things. The fact that your iPad didn't do what you wanted it to do doesn't mitigate the worldwide success of the device; instead, your expectations were either unfounded or unrealistic. Which was the case?

An all-in-one it ain't. But whether I'm headed across the pond or across the city, the iPad is typically the device I carry with me. 99% of the time, it suffices ... which is all I can ask of any device created for content consumption.

Whats the difference between content consumption devices like the ipad and an all in one entertsinment device like the ngp or psp With music and games being the focus? On psp you can watch movies as well, play games, surf the web, etc. Just really crappily but on the ngp it may be good.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
And that's a bad thing how?

People complain the ipad is a big ipod touch all the time. That's like people getting on a 747 airplane and saying, "this plane sucks, it's just a giant cessna! look they both have wings! they're the same."

The hardware may be a big ipod touch but that big screen makes a big difference and completely changes the usefulness and scope of many applications and the whole point behind the ipad is the apps.

Its not just the hardware, the os and apps are identical. In fact theniphone probably has more apps.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Its not just the hardware, the os and apps are identical. In fact theniphone probably has more apps.

Really? Show me pages on the iphone. Even when there are apps for both the ipod/iphone and the ipad the ipad versions are generally noticeably better. and still, you're missing the point. How does them being similar equal it being bad? Why does it have to look totally different just because it's a tablet?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

apps in common isn't a bad thing. where they are, I certainly don't use them on both. iPhone apps have a place for their intended use as do iPad apps. I have both are have maybe 3 in common on both devices. I use them differently just as they were intended to be used differently.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
apps in common isn't a bad thing. where they are, I certainly don't use them on both. iPhone apps have a place for their intended use as do iPad apps. I have both are have maybe 3 in common on both devices. I use them differently just as they were intended to be used differently.

Its a bad thing because most ipad apps like games are just upscaled iphone ports. Even ign wrote a recent arricl about it on ign wireless how crappy many o them are. Heck nba jam still isnt ported.

And other apps like art studio are designed to be universal so they wont put in More work or make the ipad version better and what it could be due to the backlash and elienation they fear from iphone owners. For example, why dont they allow art studio hd to select the edges precisely and make the pen tool better Because on the iphone predision woule never work so they dont bother.

Imagine how good art studio could be if all the effort went into the ipad version. It could literally replace photoshop.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Its a bad thing because most ipad apps like games are just upscaled iphone ports. Even ign wrote a recent arricl about it on ign wireless how crappy many o them are. Heck nba jam still isnt ported.

And other apps like art studio are designed to be universal so they wont put in More work or make the ipad version better and what it could be due to the backlash and elienation they fear from iphone owners. For example, why dont they allow art studio hd to select the edges precisely and make the pen tool better Because on the iphone predision woule never work so they dont bother.

You're just making random obtuse assumptions, (without even using spell check, come on) Why don't you actually contact the developers and ask them why things are the way they are. Most of them are very nice and have very good reasons for why they do things a certain way or why a certain feature isn't out yet. Remember, the iPad has only been out for less than a year. People act like companies have spent the last 10 years developing for it.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Its not just me read ign articls like this:
http://wireless.ign.com/articles/115/1153269p1.html

Its a known fact they just upscale iphone ports most of the time.

That article doesn't say most games are ports.

A. Just because it's the same game doesn't mean it's a "port"
B. They're pointing out drawbacks of overall gaming on an ipad, doesn't mean there are no good games. Every system has good games and bad ones, good ports and bad ones. That's how the world works.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Then blame the app developers not apple for the iPads design. What you're describing is not device related or apple doing at all. Personally I don't play games on either so I really don't care what shortcomings the game developers take. Mine are business tools.

And other apps like art studio are designed to be universal so they wont put in More work or make the ipad version better and what it could be due to the backlash and elienation they fear from iphone owners.

Imagine how good art studio could be if all the effort went into the ipad version. It could literally replace photoshop.

Again, not really most relevant as I don't see the iPad as an artistic creative medium of choice. I do my Photoshop work for my studio in my studio on a computer. The iPad is a display tool for my gear only.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
One other thing that could make it more useful for work trips is utilizing remote software apps (there are several). I can access my work computer, write a document, and email it from my computer while sitting at the airport using my ipad. There are still some limitations to how easy it is to work with, but I am sure it would get easier as you use it.

I still have issues with the size of the screen as it pertains to the type of work I do. However, I think the remote software apps are pretty good for solving a lot of other issues.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The iPad cannot replace a laptop (i.e., a "full computer") for everything.

Neither can a Xoom, or an HP webOS tablet, or a Samsung Tab, or any one of the other tablets currently out or coming out this year.

But eventually they will.

That said, I love my iPad and use it several hours per day doing real work. Used it today to give a one hour lecture in Keynote via the VGA adapter, send & read about 35 emails and do some web-app-based business work (works perfectly on the iPad's Safari).

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
Then blame the app developers not apple for the iPads design. What you're describing is not device related or apple doing at all. Personally I don't play games on either so I really don't care what shortcomings the game developers take. Mine are business tools.

Again, not really most relevant as I don't see the iPad as an artistic creative medium of choice. I do my Photoshop work for my studio in my studio on a computer. The iPad is a display tool for my gear only.

The ipad is perfect for art, its one of the things tablets work best on. With a stylus you can directly interact with the canvas like a digital version of real art creation. Way more personal and intuitive than any fiddly mouse. Have you seen some or the stuff people created freehand with a stylus on the ipad? Did you know they make wasco tsblet just for photoshop? How are tablets not potentially useful for art?

Plus shouldnt a tablet at least allow basic blogging and dont blogs need photoshop type work and cutting and pasting images? What do you useit for if you dont even think tablets have use in art or web creation? If you just want an entertisnment device why not get the ngp? Just because the ipad has all these shortocmings doesnt mea All tablets do or that it isnt apples fault.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
That article doesn't say most games are ports.

A. Just because it's the same game doesn't mean it's a "port"
B. They're pointing out drawbacks of overall gaming on an ipad, doesn't mean there are no good games. Every system has good games and bad ones, good ports and bad ones. That's how the world works.

Read the comments on here then:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/28/your-first-five-ipad-games/
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/27/the-games-we-want-on-ipad/

"It's not really an either-or situation. Both the PS3 and the iPad are overpriced at $600.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 3:29PM
Kid Icarus said

this is Apple's PSPGo.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 3:32PM
Chibi Chaingun said

iPad starts at $499. It essentially is Apple's netbook. Not a bad route, imo.

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 3:44PM
beano311 said

It's not Apple's netbook, or it would be running OSX and have a keyboard. It's Apple's tablet. $500 for a glorified iPhone without the phone (read iPod Touch), that's pretty much as powerful as the much smaller Nexus One (but without flash?), I'll pass. At least put an OLED screen on it...

Posted: Jan 27th 2010 3:48PM
HTCEVO said

@ Kid Icarus

No, it's Apple's DS LL.

PS, I love Apple products, but this really takes the bag o' poo. Seriously, it's just the iPhone's OS stretched which is exactly what you DON'T do with tablet OSes. Didn't they learn from PC Tablets that just shoved Windows on those things? It doesn't work."

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
What do you useit for if you dont even think tablets have use in art or web creation? If you just want an entertisnment device why not get the ngp? Just because the ipad has all these shortocmings doesnt mea All tablets do or that it isnt apples fault.

I use my iPad and iPhone in a sales and sales management capacity within the Medical Device Mkt. I can go into detail but will leave it at that. In terms of my reply that you're referencing, I also own and run a photography studio whereby my Photoshop work is done on a computer not a tablet or iPad device.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
"http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=samsung+q1u&hl=en&cid=11502102628545497230&sa=title#p

Just wanted to share, the above is an analog joystiq/mouse on the left and a full keyboard split across the top of the device. It also run full tablet version of Xp/vista/7 and does both stylus and finger touch navigation. All of the above include all professional art aps and the usual tablet apps handwriting rec. that comes with windows."

"Wrong because as much as I enjoy apple products, this one is a flop. I dont even use the windows world anymore with both a mac desktop and laptop, but there's absolutely no reason to use this product.

It has no pen, so anyone who is a mac fan but use tablets for art cant turn to this. It's not nearly as portable as an ipod touch or iphone. You're basically paying more for a larger screen and less portability."

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
"http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=samsung+q1u&hl=en&cid=11502102628545497230&sa=title#p

Just wanted to share, the above is an analog joystiq/mouse on the left and a full keyboard split across the top of the device. It also run full tablet version of Xp/vista/7 and does both stylus and finger touch navigation. All of the above include all professional art aps and the usual tablet apps handwriting rec. that comes with windows."

Sorry but the Samsung Q1U XP is the biggest pile of fail I've seen. My bet is it will end up in the discontinued pile before the end of the year.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
Again Click on the links and read thecomments to the threads I posted. i didnt write about it or know it existed until imopened those threads up, i was just quoting the general consensus about the ipad among people on those sites. Notice the quotation marks, someone else wrote thst i just posted it here.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Again Click on the links and read thecomments to the threads I posted. i didnt write about it or know it existed until imopened those threads up, i was just quoting the general consensus about the ipad among people on those sites. Notice the quotation marks, someone else wrote thst i just posted it here.

I'm not interested in going into detail on the 234,543 footprint of a another machine trying to be an iPad. The problem other manufacturers have trying to claim top spot in terms of following that Apple has avoided is having so damn many varieties of hardware to run something on. There are tons of Android based phones and little pad like devices that even the developers are going bat crazy. Apple is keeping it simple for a reason and that reason I've already noted.

Apple isn't successful because of "what they sell" it's because of "why and how" they sell it. Everyone else is focused on the hardware and the "what" People don't buy "what" you sell, they buy it because of why you sell it and how they will use it. People can knock Apple all they want, but they have mastered the understanding of that marketing and sales concept so well that others are giving away devices in BOGO Free deals just to even be considered. Apple charges $29 for a charger for Pete's Sake! and people wait in line to buy the device that goes with it. I'm sorry, but that defines success to me, not yet another model of some stupid device that a designer somewhere thinks will fit my needs.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
More evidenceni just randomly right now ran into when browsing for brand new ipad games:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=86782

First comment on the thread of this just-released game in time for the ipad 2 launch by none other than disney:

"I was kinda hoping that this would be a better game than the iphone version, perhaps even more like the PSP version, but alas, it looks to be an upscaled iphone port.

I bet I still buy it though "

Yea the ipad gets so much exclusive content and apps, not downscaled iphone ports at all :rolleyes:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Yea the ipad gets so much exclusive content and apps, not downscaled iphone ports at all :rolleyes:

you seriously expect a game developer not to jump right on the iPad with a simliar game as they have already invested development time and money into? Hell, even Nintendo Wii has Black Ops available. It's not great, but hell, it's already done so why not make it available on every system.

again, you're missing the point, the iPad and all of Apple's iProducts are success because of what they are intended to be used for. Unlike all the failures around them trying to compete and be all things to all people, Apple is targeting specific groups of users with very reliable products that tie together extremely well so they can be used for specific uses.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
Its the same app but bigger, there is no difference nor does it cater to its strengths nor does it take advantage of the larger screen in any way. Most ipad apps are jsut upacaled iphone ports not apps made with it in mind. That was the point i was trying to make that its not just a big iphone in hardware but fsoftware as well. And at least black ops on the wii was built with motion sensors in mind and catered to the wiis strengths.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
Oh and your analogy was wrong. Black ops never had a ds or portable version. What disney and most ipad app makers do would be akin to nintendo releasing a straight up upscaed port of the nintendo ds mario bros game and sold it as the new mario bros wii instead of the one wth new levels, graphics, gameplay, etc. Sony actually kind of did this with the psp to ps2 ports and vice versa but due to hardware and single analog they were never this similar. (and the psp failed in software anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.