Giving in.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jman800, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jman800 macrumors regular

Had an Android since day 1 of the Smartphone era, (Droid X)-(Not my first Droid either) Now im becoming sick of the bad battery life, bug-iness and the overall messy UI.

I was going to wait until the iPhone 5, 4S, whatever you want to call it.

But with more and more rumors pushing it to September, I don't think I can last all summer with this phone.

So now its between the 16GB or the 32GB, (iPhone 4)

I have an iPad 2, I have about 1.5k Songs, and ALOT of games and Apps on the iPad, so maybe that will in turn will lower my Apps on my iPhone? Im not sure.

Whats your suggestions? Does having an iPad lower your desire for Apps on your iPhone? is 16 not enough?

Any insight is welcome!

2. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Ah the rumors got you in their claws.
    I'd say wait for WWDC, if we don't hear about the iPhone 5, then go for the 4. But usually the iPhone comes out in June/July, what's a 2 month 'delay'? Also, the iPhone 5 seems to be looking like a great upgrade. It's definitely Apple's top secret since the last year's slip up.
    So wait it out, i think you can survive until WWDC in June, it's almost May anyway.

3. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I usually don't fall victim to them often, however this one seems pretty legit to me. I suppose, you are right. But then again, if the the new iPhone comes out, the question still remains how much memory should I get?

4. wxman2003 Suspended

I got a 32 gb model. I'm starting to add more and more to the phone. Movies, music and pictures. When I go on the road, I hook my phone up to an HDTV with the AV cable, and can watch any movie I want. Nice to have that extra space for that purpose. And eventually i plan to sell it next summer (2012) when there will likely be a 4G iphone coming out, and will be easy to sell. Although not as easy to sell as a GSM model since mine is a CDMA model, so market much smaller.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I always advocate the lowest memory model (16gb currently)

I'd rather save my $100+tax and simply manage my phone's memory on iTunes.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just go 32. I figure if I actually plan keeping it for a while, oh just hell with it :D
    Plus it sounds like you'll actually use the space

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Im listening to music on my iPad while typing this and my iPhone is in my pocket. But I would say I use my iPhone more, I don't carry my iPad with me and it's more convenient to just use my iPhone, but sometimes the iPad is the best for the job. There is no straight answer lol

8. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense. I had an iPod touch 8GB and that was no where near as much memory.

I'm not a movie guy- don't have any movies really. I'm more of a App and Music Person, with a side of photos. Im trying to get a picture of how much memory 16GB actually is.. Songs/Photos/Apps

9. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yeah I find myself using less and less apps on my iphone now that I got an ipad 2

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Some apps take alot of space. I have Navigon for example and it's about 2GB. Add all of the other apps I have plus some music and I am over 16GB. Go with 32GB just to be safe.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd always advocate exactly the opposite. It's only a $100 difference and since you can't upgrade the storage it makes sense to get 100% more storage for only 33% more money.

I'm not sure if having an iPhone and iPad makes me want any less apps on each one. It definitely means there's more that I want on both and there are a few that once I have on one I feel like I don't need on both.

12. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

16GB = Holds about 3,500 songs or 20,000 photos or 20 hours of video.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I wanted to get a 16 gig iPhone 4, but when I went to get one a month or two after launch, they were still super scarce and the only one I could find was a 32 gig so I snapped it up.

14. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Get it now!

Get the 32GB IPhone 4 now. The 4 will run the new IOS 5 and the incremental difference between the 4 and 5 will be small. Get the 4 now and later get the 6 which will have LTE.

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just a word to the wise, Apple is well know for disseminating false information to find leaks. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole September release thing was due to that, and also to boost end of cycle purchases which tend to weaken. At the same time, that could be considered a rumor that I made up.

When it comes to memory, I was happy with my 8GB iPhone 3G and my 32GB iPod Touch for a while - I would just be disciplined in keeping only the music I listen to most and the apps I use most. I now have a 16GB 3GS and easily filled up most of it (I have 1.9GB left) - but I honestly rarely use most of the apps I have on here.

It really comes down to personal preference and how you intend on using your space. The answer truly is different for everyone.

16. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I'll put in another vote for waiting for WWDC, and when you do get a phone, go with the most storage you can. 16 gigs really isn't that much.

17. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Go for a second hand one off ebay. That way you won't lose to much when iPhone 5 comes out.
    That's what I've just done :D

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'd say go with the 16GB and save the money. Who wouldn't like an extra $100 in their pockets?

I simply just manage the apps on my phone. If you have, lets say 30 games on your phone, but you only play 10 of them. Is there really a point in keeping the other 20 on there? Just keep them on iTunes and sync them if you ever feel like playing one of those games.

19. allen2oo3 macrumors newbie

i was in a similar situation. had the original moto droid. got the incredible on day one. then i had the thunderbolt. tons of issues with the thunderbolt so i returned it and went back to my incredible (which i love). since i returned the thunderbolt, i had an upgrade sitting there not being used. i decided to get the 32gig (100$ more for double the memory was a good option for me) iphone and play around with it. if i didn't like it, i would sell it on CL and gain a nice profit. If i liked it i would keep it and sell my incredible.

so far i am pleased with the iphone. the build quality compared to every android phone i've owned is amazing. very sold. another thing i also like is the amount of accessories it has. there are so many cases once can pick from that you're sure to find something you like. apps are EXTREMELY polished compared to the android market (this is a huge plus for me). games (if you care) are the same...100x better and 100x more polished.

a few things i miss from android:
    - extreme ability to customize (jailbreaking will help but still not as much as android)
    - native navigation through google maps (not a huge deal. garmin gps is $35 tomtom is $50)
    - true multitasking
    - i miss the back home menu and search buttons (no big deal, ill get over it)
    - native push gmail

i'm still a huge iphone noob (4 days) but i am really enjoying it so far

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Couldn't agree more.

I have podcasts on my iPhone, and i just remove the ones i already saw instead of storing it.
    Having less makes you use only things you actually need. For example, do you really use that Translator app on your iPhone everyday unless you're going traveling?

But then again, if you're willing to go for the 32, then do it.

21. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I totally agree with this. 100 more for double the space is a no-brainer.

22. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I say get it now. You wait 2 months for WWDC and then it's only 3 more months until the more probable September release date and now you've waited 5 months and who know what September holds. Just get the 4, you won't regret it.

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'd go with 16GB and white if you can. White will at least make it seem like you bought a newer device?

16GB and do all of your media in the cloud and save the $100. I've only used 6GB total and use a lot of cloud services for other media.

Pandora, Crackle, etc.

24. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Get the 16bg and the StreamToMe app for 2.99.
    I have access to my 65bg itunes library from everywhere now.
    Works on iPad, too, including movie streaming and pictures from iPhoto.
    I use this more than pandora now.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get the 32GB! My 32gb is pretty full. 1/3 music 1/3 apps 1/3 photos and videos.