Giving up on MBP--Going with MP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basqarl, Feb 20, 2008.

1. basqarl macrumors regular

Since Sept '07, I have been 'this close' to purchasing a new, 'loaded' MBP 17" but have been waiting for the upgrade as have many of us. I am tired of the waiting game, and at this point in time, because my old Dell is quickly approaching its demise, I need to move on.

Because having the laptop vs. desktop has been more of a 'want' than a 'need', I am planning on going with an MP. :( I know that I could go with the current MBP, but it irks me to purchase something that will be so shortly updated whereas the MP is new. That may or may not be logical, but frankly I'm angry and do not want to be taken advantage of by the big :apple:. (And forget the MBA---it's a lightweight --no pun-- in terms of my needs.)

That all being said, I need advice on what options to select for the MP to match (or exceed) a fully loaded MBP without breaking the bank. Obviously I will need a display, but I am not technically savvy enough to select the other features such as the processor(s), memory, graphics cards, hard drive storage, SAS hard drives, a Mac Pro RAID Card (?), SuperDrives (?), and/or other options.

(I think that this is the correct forum in which to post this thread of inquiry-- or should I be posting this to the MP forum?) :confused:

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you have...

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The Mac Pro is a whole different beast. If you are doing any video work, there is not a portable on the market that compares.

The MBP is a great laptop, but the Mac Pro is a true workstation. You can't expect that kind of performance from a portable ...yet.

3. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much. I am an amateur in terms of video editing at this point, but with the MBP I would have needed to max out on RAM, etc., in order to be even close to what I need(ed). Perhaps things 'happen for a reason' and the MP was truly more of what I need.

Do you know what the 'minimal' features I would need to get with the MP to meet or exceed those of a fully loaded MBP? I really don't have the technical savvy to make that sort of decision, and I would prefer to get the viewpoint of someone with experience rather than trusting a salesperson who may or may not have the background/knowledge. (Have walked into Apple knowing more than some of their salespeople, which is rather scary knowing how 'little' I feel I know...)

Thanks!

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

angry? being taken advantage of? who exactly is doing this? Because a company does not bring out the product YOU want, when YOU want it (to hell with engineering and software deadlines etc etc etc!!) they are taking advantage of you?

I can see plenty of problems with Apple, but not updating a particular product especially for you is no reason to get so dramatic. woe surely is you, right?

once again, so many forumites here are:

[​IMG]

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well..the base model will crush the macbook pro at pretty much anything except portability

the base model that you can order from the online store comes with a single quad core 2.8ghz cpu for $2299

only has 2gb of ram though, buy some third party ram, dont pay apple 500 bucks for an extra 2gb

6. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

That picture made my day. I must copy it later.

7. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

:eek:

I did not mean to raise anyone's ire-- I am just stating how I feel and what I've decided to do in response to the present situation regarding what is available from :apple:.

I am not 'paranoid' enough to take the actions of :apple: personally, but conversely, given my wants and needs at this point in time, I am not going to purchase something I feel I will regret nor am I going to wait any longer for :apple:. I will say, however, that if :apple: respected the needs of its customers enough to provide some information as to the release of its newest version of MBP, I would have the necessary information to make an informed decision as to whether I can wait until then or make a purchase now. I have chosen the option to proceed and not wait, week after week... month after month.

8. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Just ask yourself this questions: If you get the MBP, will you be happy with everything it comes with currently? If yes, get it. Having a laptop is so much nicer than being stuck at a desk, especially when the power difference, based on what you want to do, isn't worlds apart. I would definitely get the MBP now and just do what I'm going to do, sell it if a new MBP comes out and you start feeling regretful. I doubt this will be the case though. So that is my advice, get the MBP. Take care and enjoy whatever you get.

9. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, squeeks!

I am smiling at the visual I'm getting.....MP crushing MBP. Not a pretty sight! ;)

I will order the model and any options through the educator's store with their discount (such that it is) as a teacher. Is there anything else you would recommend given the fact that I will be working to develop assistive technology to be used with students with significant disabilities and will be doing more video work and a significant amount of photography-- including editing?

10. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

You do make a good point, Cyroceon. That is exactly what has been holding me back from making my purchase thus far. My frustration is that as an educator (a cash-poor one, mind you) working for a local public school system, the outlay of cash will be my own, and I am terrible (yes, terrible) at returning/selling things; I can't tell you the number of purchases I have made in the past year that I just cannot get around to selling or returning.... with 3 kids and the long hours of work that I put in, I would not count on purchasing something to later sell it. But I do very much appreciate your suggestion. :)

I would LOVE to have the portability of the MBP, though, rather than having to save things on memory devices and then trying to transfer them to PCs which is all we have in the school system. :(

Thanks, though!

11. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Don't let the "pro" thing confuse you. If you want a desktop machine equivalent to the MBP you can get such in an iMac or even a mini (well not quite, but pretty close).

But I gotta say the current MBP is a great machine.

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

If portability is a big deal to you, should you reconsider getting a MBP? It doesn't make sense to get a big machine now, that ultimately doesn't meet a core need.

I don't know your needs: I view the Mac Pro as a high-end analysis machine. If you're not doing academic research or professional video editing, I don't know why you'd get that instead of the more affordable iMac. Especially as an "cash-poor educator", you could save potentially yourself $1000+.

Can you describe your real uses and needs for a computer; there might be a better choice than the pricey and high-end Mac Pro.

13. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

I know, brilliant isn't he?

you claim to not know very much about computers? so what exactly are you waiting for? What could steven jobsingtons possibly announce that would make you happy? Why will you regret buying something? If it does what you expect of it when you buy it, what is to regret? Play the game of 'but they might release something newer and shinier and more likely to impress my friends!!' and you'll always regret every single thing you buy. Who's to say whether Apple 'respects' its customers? Who's to say that's even their job, or that they even owe anyone that. They are a corporation who will release whatever fancy things they have when they have them. Or after they have them. their perogative.

You have the necessary information now. You have a website that details the specs of the available machines, and you know how much you need a computer, what you need it for, and how much money you have to spend. It doesn't get any easier than that...

14. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

So getting a Mac Pro for my needs may very well be overkill?

The main reason I wanted to wait for the upgraded/refreshed MBP (in addition to the available options I decided I wanted/needed) was that I thought the 45nm 2.6/2.8 ? GHz Penryn MBP would run cooler in relation to the GHz vs the current model. My son has an older, less powerful, MBP and complains of the heat it puts out. I never thought of an iMac (because I was concentrating so much on the MBP). That's another option for me to explore. Thanks.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Don't buy a Mac Pro and cripple it.

Get the Octo for sure. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Get 4x2GB sticks of qualified RAM from OWC.

You'll want to change the drives at some point. I added 2x750 Samsung Spinpoint F1s (reasonably priced if you hunt around), and am still considering what to do about the boot drive. It is the bottleneck at the moment.

If you aren't doing much video and don't need precise colour reproduction (say, if you do a lot of photography), then the current iMacs are very good too, though again in a totally different class from the Mac Pro when processor-intensive tasks wait to be done.

16. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I know what I want to accomplish with the computer, but I really don't understand the details/specs of the available machines, which is why I am asking the questions.

I won't argue with you as far as whether or not Apple respects its customers or whether it even should, but I do vote with my $$$. I don't need the shiniest or newest for the bling factor, it's because I work hard for my $$$ and want to maximize what I get for my hard-earned cash. I also tend to research things until I'm satisfied I am making the correct choice; some people feel more comfortable making purchases more impulsively (not a criticism, just a fact).

Regardless, to each his own.... clearly you and I have a difference of opinion in terms of what one should want or should spend.... so unless you have anything positive to add to this conversation, I would appreciate your keeping your insults, rants and assumptions to yourself.

17. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

You make some great points, but what I think some of us are trying to elude to, is basically the fact that you initially signaled that portability was important to you. I personally don't think that I would sacrifice that because of some gripe I have with the company because of an artificially inflated important event that MIGHT have an update in it. Again, I would still go with a MBP. Be smart and go with MBP refurb and then just sell it. You mentioned that you don't have time. That is fine, you save $400 by going to refurb MBP instead of new. Take some of that saved money and just pay one of those "sell on eBay" stores to sell it for you. They only charge a few dollars.

18. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, netdog.

I do quite a bit of photography and photographic editing and would need precise color reproduction. That was one of the features I was considering in the MBP.....going with a matte high resolution screen for accuracy in color representation.

I need a tremendous amount of RAM because the way I work I keep multiple programs and windows open/running as I bounce back and forth between applications, etc. I really know nothing about the iMac but had assumed it would not meet my needs (and of course, I wanted a desktop replacement that would provide the portability when needed, but wanted the 17" screen due to my 'multitasking' with so many windows open.

I really appreciate your feedback---thanks!

19. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

1) If you don't understand the details and specs of the current machines i can't understand why you are so bothered about a release that will no doubt have more stuff you don't understand?

2) How hard you work for your money has nothing to do with whether an update is impending or not, and whether apple are keeping it a secret for any reason. If you really work hard for your money and want value, i'd suggest not buying a Mac, unless the OS is really important to you.

3) i don't care what people spend or don't spend. I just find language such as 'angry' and 'being taken advantage of' to be hyperbolic and over-the-top

4) I have not insulted you, or made assumptions. Nor did I rant. I merely suggested you don't go overboard about something you seem to have picked up on a forum but don't really understand what it means. the cult of the update seems to have got many people in a complete tizz for no real reason.

20. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Cyroceon. Perhaps I was a bit rash and overreacted to the tone of the previous post by 'tremendous.' Your recommendation is a good one and I will take it under serious consideration. I guess I am just so 'tired' of waiting and am becoming more and more frustrated with this whole process. In fact (smile) I have already purchased some software for my new Mac (whatever it ends up being)....which is probably a good thing, because my frustration was growing to the degree that I have actually been thinking that perhaps I should just go back to a PC and forget the whole 'Mac' concept....

If I go with a refurb, should I get all the 'bells and whistles' that I was originally thinking of getting, or should I get something a bit more basic (which, with upgraded RAM would probably be enough....) and when it's time, resell it using an eBay store and getting what I really want (the refresh)?

21. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Go ahead and buy a Compaq or HP and get a lot of power for not much $.

Max it out to 4 GB RAM. Be sure to get Windows XP, not Vista.

22. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

As I stated earlier, the main reason I wanted to wait for the upgraded/refreshed MBP (in addition to the available options I decided I wanted/needed) was that I thought the 45nm 2.6/2.8 ? GHz Penryn MBP would run cooler in relation to the GHz vs the current model. One of my sons has an older, less powerful, MBP and complains of the heat it puts out. The other has a Toshiba Satellite; both have had high-end Dells (and mine is dying a slow death), my husband has a 'bells and whistles' Lenova, and the folks in our IT department have all sorts of variations of devices/brand names.

I have spoken to a number of people in a variety of tech-related fields including those in our organization (not just in this forum), and have consulted with my two sons (both highly intelligent -- in college-- and facile with computer technology) and with their friends who are tech-savvy, and they all have advised that based on the type of work I plan to do with my computer, the Mac would best suit my needs. And this is from both PC and Mac users.

I do appreciate your sharing your views, and I, too, become weary of some of the seemingly shallow reasons that people decide they want the latest and greatest. But in my case, as someone who does not understand the machinations of the technology but who does know what she wants and needs feature-wise, I am trying to gather as much information as I possibly can before making my purchase. It's really that simple.

23. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but for the reasons I've outlined in my previous post, I really need to go with a Mac.

Thanks, though!

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Any of the Mac Pros will be faster than MBP, because Mac Pro is a desktop work station, while MBP is a laptop.

store.apple.com

Refurbished Mac / Apple Certified Mac Pro

Different models come and go (sometimes refurb are sold out), but for example:
    $1999.00
    Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
    Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

You can get a refurb cinema display
    20" $499.00
    23" $749.00

Depends on the type of video work, a better graphics card may or may not help. i.e. motion would benefit from a upgraded graphics card, while non-3d video apps probably won't benefit.
    barefeats.com has good info on benchmarks, etc.

25. dj420118 macrumors regular

well its good to hear your at least "staying in the club." Enjoy ur new mac