Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Can it be done? I've been reading some studies lately on cancer associated with cell phone use. I'm thinking about giving up the cell phone for 3 years to be exact, and getting my own phone line in my house.

So my question is, can it be done? Should it be done? How did people survive without cell phones? Ahh! Help : )

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
It certainly can be done; it just depends on your individual circumstances.

If I didn't use mine for my business I'd consider ditching it. $15 a month is $15 a month I could easily spend it elsewhere.

I do believe that extended use or consistent use causes cancer or damage of some kind (since they have been banned or severely limited in some countries) but I only use mine sporadically so I can justify it.

It's handy at times, too..

stoich

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
It really depends on whether or not you need it. This isnt a general question it is an opinion. For me there is no way in the world I could be without it. But if I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere then I probably wouldnt need one :D

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
$15 a month is $15 a month I could easily spend it elsewhere.

$15 a mouth, that's cheap regardless of what type of plain you have.

I could not give up my Blackberry, not because I am addicted. But it's saved my sorry ass so many times, plus we don't have a home phone.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
$15 a mouth, that's cheap regardless of what type of plain you have.

I know; I threw that in there on purpose. :) I really do spend $15 a month on it (it's the ooooold Verizon Prepay plan, and since I haven't upgraded or lapsed they keep it going. Mwahahaha!) but the cost isn't really an issue for me.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I don't even understand what people did without cell phones. It's crazy how dependent I've become on it. With text messaging, email, voicemail. It's the only way people can get a hold of me. Ahhh what to do!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I think it's kind of amusing, in a way: I see kids all over (well, mostly kids) biking, blading, razor-scooter, mall shopping, all talking on their cell phones.

Kind of creepy, actually now that I think about it. Big Brother is listening or something..

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
there is a forum member here that i know that doesn't have one. never has had one. he gets along just fine.

but it all depends on what you want and need.

they are very convenient. if you're willing to forgo that, then sure why not?

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
I know; I threw that in there on purpose. :) I really do spend $15 a month on it (it's the ooooold Verizon Prepay plan, and since I haven't upgraded or lapsed they keep it going. Mwahahaha!) but the cost isn't really an issue for me.

I have Verizon and my Unlimited Blackberry data alone cost double your monthly payment. May I ask how many minutes you have and what phone?

(Not that I am complaining about what I pay, since I decided to go all out. Just curious)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I get 1.5 hours a month for $15, doubled on nights and weekends (I think... I may be a bit off.. but not by much tho'), and after that it's $0.15 per minute I think. I also get sms and some other stuff, but no web, email or photo txting (which I don't use anyway)

Sorry, It's been so long since I signed up I've forgot the details. They stopped offering it like four years ago and kept me going.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
I get 1.5 hours a month for $15, doubled on nights and weekends (I think... I may be a bit off.. but not by much tho'), and after that it's $0.15 per minute I think. I also get sms and some other stuff, but no web, email or photo txting (which I don't use anyway)

Sorry, It's been so long since I signed up I've forgot the details. They stopped offering it like four years ago and kept me going.

1.5 Hours?!?!?!? Damn, that's little.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
FWIW, the prevailing view, backed up by the majority of studies conducted on the subject, is that cell phones and cancer are not linked. In fact, reported brain tumors in America declined slightly from 1996-2005 (per here).

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
Sure its possible... but.. why? The cancer thing, as I understand it, is only an issue if you use it a lot. If you use it a lot and are worried about the cancer thing, just get a bluetooth headset or other hands free device so the cell transmitter isn't against your skull - problem solved. No need to live cell-less.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Yep, plus you will be glad you have it in case of emergency. My car breaks down all the time!

But on a serious note, if you do go cell less. Keep your old cell phone with a charged battery in the car. Because even if you don't pay for services, it will still dial 911.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
More power to you man. Even if the job didn't require it - I'm not sure that I have the willpower to give up the Crackberry.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Can it be done? I've been reading some studies lately on cancer associated with cell phone use. I'm thinking about giving up the cell phone for 3 years to be exact, and getting my own phone line in my house.

So my question is, can it be done? Should it be done? How did people survive without cell phones? Ahh! Help : )
Yes it can be done.

Not easy if you are used to a cell phone, but doable.

I once when a year without any phone (land line or cell). It was an amazing experience.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I once when a year without any phone (land line or cell). It was an amazing experience.

A couple of weeks back I spent four days in an area of Montana that had no cell phone coverage. Because I was out there for work to begin with, it wasn't a problem for me to be 'out of pocket'.

It was glorious.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
it can be done. a friend of mine resisted until after college to finally get one. another needed one for job interviews to be a professor at universities, then i think she promptly ditched it.

if you really need to make a call everyone else has cell phones. and generally if people wanted to call you they can just leave a message at home.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
A couple of weeks back I spent four days in an area of Montana that had no cell phone coverage. Because I was out there for work to begin with, it wasn't a problem for me to be 'out of pocket'.

It was glorious.
Surprising isn't it?

In this day and age it is so easy to become dependent on communication devices. The key, I believe, is to remain independent of these devices. It's almost like an addiction to some it seems.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
It is worth re-iterating, so far there is no link between mobile phone usage and cancer. However if there were it is possible that bluetooth would be a worse offender than the phone itself (due to wave length). Try a wired headset, if any causal link is found then a wired headset is likely to be your best option. I am not a doctor / scientist, don't take my word for this et cetera. But then most of the people who claim there may be a link are not scientists either...

There was a study a few years ago indicating wired headsets were worse, but a) there is no demonstrated causal link to cancer and b) that experiment could never be replicated, to the best of my knowledge.

Having the phone sit in your jeans front pocket all day could be a problem, due to the excess heat so close to one area of your body that is known heat sensitive :eek:

But - down to your original question, should you go without? Turn it off for two weeks, give the phone to a friend or colleague for two weeks (possibly without battery), and see how it goes. I'd expect the first week to be a nightmare, and the second to be easier.

Maybe get rid of the phone, and get a pager? Can you still get those? From my understanding pagers saw far wider use on the US than Europe, but even here I had a few friends who relied on pagers.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
All of the talk about cell phones causing brain damage, cell phones causing sperm damage, cell phones distracting us on the road, cell phones changing our language into txtspeak... it's all secondary to the nature of being able to be contacted in real time by anyone at any time, for any length of time, about any number of things on any level of importance, without regard to what we are doing at that moment--and the issues that presents.

Ubiquitous mobile realtime omni-distance telephony is a concept still in its infancy compared to, say, writing a letter or having a conversation; mobile pseudo-realtime short-distance telephony is slightly older (radios), as well as ubiquitous realtime long-distance telephony (POTS), but those are not quite as impacting because of their nature. If we do not start to incubate ideas about priority, valuing time, and use of a communication medium as means to an end (rather than the end), we will end up in a deluge of endless phonecalls and texts and emails and notifications and ads and reminders and video messages and gossip phone chains and voicemails. I imagine it not unlike the future as portrayed in Disney's Wall-E, where it seemed 95% or more of the time was spent talking to a screen portraying a videoconference of another person talking to a screen, talking about minutiae and gossip, leading in turn to more talking... up to the point of almost nothing else being done, or perhaps the reality of nothing being done where constant realtime communication interruptions were not omnipresent.

To me, while I have to have a cell phone for practical reasons, it is a ball and chain attached to me so that I can never leave the whims and self-interests and random interruptions of others, even when I do leave the house, with no screening or warning, no time to digest, and guilt if I press "ignore," with the taunting voicemail icon left to sit there and remind me that now I have one more thing on my "to do" list that will at least take up a minute to check my voicemail, a few minutes to call that person back (if not much more), and another 5-15 minutes to get back in focus and back to work! It's terrible.

Now, how a split home/mobile phone with caller priorities, need priorities, time- and context-sensitivity, selective do-not-disturb, contact-information-referral ("work question? go ahead and email blah@blah, no voicemails accepted. goodbye!"), and time limits, which would not impose on my ability to always make emergency-type calls whereever I went, location data (for myself, destinations, and friends/family--how many times have you called someone to say 'hey, where are you?')... I have no idea how that would work at this point, and my concept is undoubtedly a little off, but it's only meant to illustrate some of the finer needs of my desired connectedness.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Id love to give up mine...At this point I find it to be a total invasion of privacy. Thanks to the cell phone, people now expect you to be available 24/7.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
I have a pre paid as I never use it have about 250.00 on it, it stays in the car and maybe use it once a month. I don't use it in school or at home.I was almost crushed by a DB7 as the guy was texting and driving.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Id love to give up mine...At this point I find it to be a total invasion of privacy. Thanks to the cell phone, people now expect you to be available 24/7.
I turn mine off, not manner mode, when I don't want to be disturbed. :)

Sometimes I go for a week without turning my cell phone on. Freedom! :D

At first some friends complained, but after a while they got used to it. Now they know to e-mail me.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah, I'm a total email junky. Most people email me as I'm not super talkative over the phone. Too bad I can't get just a data and sms plan :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.