Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I don't know how many of you venture over to Gizmodo much but while I find my tech home to be MacRumors, I do make my daily rounds of Engadget, Gizmodo, AppleInsider, TUAW amongst others. Ever since the whole lost iPhone 4 prototype story and the legal consequences Gizmodo has been experiencing I have noticed a dramatic shift in their reporting on Apple to be increasingly negative. I find this to be very poor and irresponsible reporting, but it may just be my bias towards Apple products.

What do you guys think?

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, i noticed this as well. What the hell did they expect? It's very immature and has caused me to lose quite a bit of respect for them...they are obviously butt hurt.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they've always been an immature bunch. which is why i've really never bothered to read them and bother with their stupid antics. a shame to legit bloggers and journalists everywhere.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Maybe they can go drinking with the Psystar gang, and tell war stories of their fights with Apple.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
they've always been an immature bunch. which is why i've really never bothered to read them and bother with their stupid antics. a shame to legit bloggers and journalists everywhere.

Agreed. I've visited their site a few times, but didn't like it so I just don't go there any more.

Saikou

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
NE
I agree. It's pathetic... Journalists shouldn't take bias either way, they should present the facts and let their audience choose a side based on their findings.

Also, has anyone else noticed the unbelievably high amount of BP oil spill related posts on gizmodo? All of them take a very negative stance against BP. I agree it's a tragedy and everything that can be done should be done to clean it up. But... why gizmodo? you're a gadget blog for crying out loud. report on the robots trying to fix the spill, but anything beyond that is out of your territory, giz!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with BP. But anyone believing they aren't doing everything they can to fix this (gizmodo) has a screw loose. I'm sure BP isn't too thrilled with the lost oil profits, much less receiving the worst publicity any company has seen since dare I say enron??

A high percentage of my portfolio is in offshore oil (not BP specifically, but you can bet your bottom dollar that entire industry, BP or not has been affected negatively) so i'm as unhappy as the next guy - BUT what the hell is gizmodo doing reporting on it every 3rd post? Why is this irking me so much? Maybe it's because I once liked Gizmodo. Ugh.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I agree. It's pathetic... Journalists shouldn't take bias either way, they should present the facts and let their audience choose a side based on their findings.

"Journalists" shouldn't be purchasing stolen merchandise, the legal ramifications of which they should have understood before trying to hide behind the law themselves.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I just went over and checked out two of their stories about the re-revealed and the retina display. They both come off very brash and you can sense some hostility towards Apple. The comments on the articles are just down right rude and anti Apple. Good lord.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
it wasnt gizmodo that hijacked a lot of tv sets during some electronic show a few years ago was it?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Well maybe, but very very few of them manage to do that.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
They spat there dummy and now there throwing a fit.
Shouldn't steal other kids toys especially if the other boy is older than you.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
it wasnt gizmodo that hijacked a lot of tv sets during some electronic show a few years ago was it?

Yep it was.

Gizmodo shows perfectly how our generation act today. They believe they can do whatever they want without consequences.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised given the recent banning of them at WWDC

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Giz has lost a lot of credibility. Some may feel they never had the credibility to lose. I used to consider Giz and Engadget as essentially the same. Now I don't even bother going to Giz because I don't trust that their information is correct because they became part of the story and now have an agenda.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I felt hurt at Gizmodo. They might be immature, but it's obvious that Apple could handle the situation better too.

One is immature, the other one is an immature bully.

Also, the general tone on Macrumors is changing and there is growing concern about Apple's practices, so I suppose, there must be some justification at least to a certain extent to Gizmodo's issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Expecting maturity from a tech professional is pretty funny. Steve Jobs is one the most powerful men in the industry right now and look at the state of him.
Exactly, we see a mix of arrogance and immaturity from him, and likewise many tech sights exhibit similar qualities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.