Gizmodo did not have the new iPhone. (I hope)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamvk, Apr 21, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I really don't think that iPhone 4g will be similar to what Gizmodo had.

My reasoning for this:

1) Apple is OCD about design, and having those "grooves" around the side of the phone annoys me, which means it would really annoy Apple. I would expect it to be one flush piece around the side.

2) My biggest reason is Apple needs a radical change. The iPhone is losing its tread. Android is catching up, and catching up fast. The iPhones hardware is super outdated compared to phones like the Nexus One, Motorola Droid, HTC HD2, Sony Xperia x10, and more and more are coming. In order to get people back on the Apple wagon, I am expecting a huge difference in design. The "leaked" iPhone has the same boring dimensions and ratios as the first iPhone from 2007. I would expect AT LEAST a 3.7" screen on the new iPhone.

3) I don't think Apple would go "flat." The leaked iPhone is completely flat on the back, which doesn't look good. It doesn't seem like something Apple would do. My first reaction when I saw it was that it doesn't look nice. I am considering switching to iPhone when the new one comes out this summer, but if that is what the new iPhone will be, I will NOT be getting it. The HTC HD2 will be my new phone.

4) Phillips screws? Why on earth would they make those visible right by the dock connector? It practically goes against all of Apples design commandments.

For people who don't know what the heck I'm talking about:

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone?skyline=true&s=i

2. SongtotheKing macrumors member

SongtotheKing

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Yes, I agree that it probably is an iPhone prototype. I just don't think it is close to what will be released in the summer. I'm expecting more from Apple.

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone?skyline=true&s=i

John Gruber has said that "N90" is the internal code name for the next gen iPhone. He has known this for months.

"DVT" stands for Device Verification Test...once step right below the production model. Very VERY close to production

http://5by5.tv/conversation/12 17:00 mark

5. SongtotheKing macrumors member

SongtotheKing

i dont think its ugly (although, i know a lot of people do), i just find the rockers odd.....

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

also, phillip screws - already on current 3g and 3gs phones, not a new design decision

7. machacker macrumors regular

First I just want to say how much I love the new design. I hated the rounded back since it was released that way. I find the flat phones much more appealing and modern.

Also, I don't think this the final version, I think the final version will have the grooves removed, and the volume rockers changed to match the iPad, but for the most part, I think this is the phone we will be looking at this coming summer.

That being said, I can't wait for it to be released. I have wanted a move back to the aluminum body for 2 years now.

8. BobRichards macrumors regular

The rockers are strange, but the rest of the device looks nice

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

They're there on the 3G and 3GS too. They just can't be recessed like on those models because of the metal frame.

I personally think the bottom looks better than on the 3G/3GS. The silver frame with the silver screws and screens make it look more uniform.

[​IMG]

There are no rockers. Rockers pivot in the center, and can be activated by pressing the above or below the pivot point, rocking the switch. Those are buttons on the new iPhone.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think this whole leak think runied everything! It sucked all the fun right out of the wait to WWDC..........:rolleyes:

Thanks a alot Gray, the guy who sold it, and GIZMODO!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    1) this is a prototype, not the exact final design. I'm willing to bet those two seams along the side will be gone in the final product. That doesn't disprove the authenticity of this iphone.

2) radical change?? No. They aren't going to change the dimensions much, and why should they? They are great. Screen increase? possibly, but I doubt it. There is no real need for it. The current screen is large enough and to keep the same dimensions the iphone would need to get wider. front facing camera and a flash aren't radical enough for you?

3) I don't see what's wrong with flat. I think it would feel more sturdy and durable and it loses that slight rocking effect of the 3g/3gs.

4) as pointed out both the 3g and 3gs have them in the exact same spot.....

It's pretty legit. It may change slightly before production, but I think this is the basic idea.

12. awesomator macrumors regular

I would suggest also reading http://gizmodo.com/5520876/the-next-iphone-dissected?skyline=true&s=i

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The did have an Apple owned device. Possibly a prototype of the next iphone. Thats a fact.
    Apple already requested it back and they send it to Apple headquarters.

14. The General macrumors 601

I hope the seams stay. I like the look of this prototype. Looks like a Braun shaver from the 70s or something. I approve.

15. thelosmos macrumors newbie

thelosmos

Has anyone considered that this was just a "publicity stunt" from apple? Why on earth would apple, being as "secretive" as they are allow a developer to leave the apple premises with a prototype of their next big release. This is the product that way to many competitors are fighting beat. If you ask me this was a stunt to get all the hype up about the future release. :D

16. SongtotheKing macrumors member

SongtotheKing

not agreeing or disagreeing...

http://gizmodo.com/5520746/apple-didnt-leak-the-iphoneand-why-that-matters

17. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

i really doubt that this was the exact thing we are gonna see at WWDC

18. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

None of us can really say whether the design changes are good or bad until we hold one in our hands.

Personally, I find the previous iPhones to be difficult to hold. Too bar-of-soap-ish. Too thin, too un-grippable.

When I saw the photos of the Braun-like prototype, my first thought was: "I bet that's easier to hold."

If I'm right, in a few months we'll be looking at the earlier iPhones the way folks looked at the stupid hemispherical mouse that accompanied the first iMacs: fetching in its day, but ergonomically rather lousy in the hand.

Oh: also, I expect the outer rim is steel, probably a matte finished stainless.

19. awesomator macrumors regular

Because the iphone must be tested in different areas to test how it holds up with att around the country. It probably has to do with software 4.0

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry but I seriously doubt that whatever annoys you is what annoys Apple.

What you expect and what you get aren't going to be one in the same.
    Then go buy another phone. /shrug BTW, the flat back appeals to me so it will appeal to Apple.

Really? Phillips screws? Like the ones on my iPhone now? :rolleyes:

21. thelosmos macrumors newbie

thelosmos

I can see your point. But at a bar?? Something tells me if they really wanted to test this thing for coverage or even gps capabilities they would not allow it to be brought out to public places. Just something else to consider....prior to the release of the iPad Andy Ihnatko (journalist) was given a "review version" of the iPad under strict guidelines that he was not to use it in public.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple employees many many people.
    Theres many prototype iphones given out to engineers disguised with that rubber case on to look like iphone 3GS or 3G models.
    And in the end they are human just like the rest of us.....

23. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea I know. It's just going to be very annoying hearing people refering to it as the final product for the next 2 months.

WWDC is going to have more of a "let's see if Steve brings out the phone we've been seeing for months now" feeling instead of the normal "Omg Steve...quit talking about all the iPhones sold and show us the new stuff!" feeling.

24. awesomator macrumors regular

I completely see your point but you never know. The new iphone was actually in a special case to make it seem like it was a 3g/3gs

25. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I'm sure that's pretty much the final version. There will probably be minor tweaks but this is it folks. It's kinda growing on me. I hated it at first.

I'm sure Steve is super pissed about this leak, totally destroys the WOW moment when they first show off there product.