Gizmodo iPhone 4 theft investigation closing, charges may be next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smithrh, Mar 18, 2011.

1. smithrh, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

2. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Bottom line is receiving stolen property is a crime. Freedom of the press does not immunize anyone against criminal prosecution when a crime exists.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

But they didn't find the iPhone 5 prototype (final design) yet!

4. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I posted this in the original thread but all 3 parties are at fault here

1) The police did an illegal search

2) Hogan sold stolen merchandise

3) Gawker purchased stolen merchandise

The appropriate thing would have been for Hogan to turn in the phone to the police, and then wait 30 days for it to go unclaimed. It's clear that Apple would have contacted the police the next day and had their stolen merchandise returned

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I was just thinking about this today... I really don't care about Gizmodo but whatever happen to the guy from Apple that left the phone at the bar? Does he still work for Apple?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think if I ever found a prototype iPhone, I'd .... throw it in the fireplace.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I'm sure I read somewhere that he was on the development team which creates the phone app. I'm sure he still had his job after the story broke. I'm not 100% though, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also do Gizmodo get invited to Apple media events? I'm guessing not.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

From the article:
    "Powell's LinkedIn profile says that he's still employed at Apple. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak publicly came to Powell's defense last year, saying "it's a bad accident that could happen to any of us."

9. syc23, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011

syc23 macrumors member

Gizmodo and Hogan should be jailed for 5 years. Or at the very least they should pay Apple compensation for profitting from stolen goods.

Gizmodo and Hogan should be jailed for 5 years. Or at the very least they should pay Apple compensation for profitting from stolen goods.

Or am I being harsh? :D

10. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I still read gizmodo (in classic-guise), I think its an entertaining tech blog.

The whole lost iPhone 4 malarky didn't prevent me from purchasing one, so I don't really see the harm done... if anything it created MUCH publicity.

I believe they're still uninvited from Apple events.

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yep. I think the demand for the iPhone 4 would have still been very high, but I think Gizmodo's leak pushed it to unchartered territory. EVERYONE was drooling over that thing and chomping at the bit to get one.

12. redhead42 macrumors newbie

redhead42

They weren't even invited to the Verizon iphone announcement. That's the only time Verizon snubbed them.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you know why;)

14. greg555 macrumors 6502a

It kind of funny that that was some of the proof that Verizon was going to be announcing getting the iPhone.

15. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

I have to wonder how they're doing over there at Gawker Media...

They've had this case over their heads for nearly a year.

Then a month or so ago they had a severe format change, which I suspect has driven quite a few people away from Engadget, Lifehacker and the other sites.

I know that I certainly go to those sites much less often than before. Heck, I can't even render some of their pages now on Firefox on an older PC.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think there's an option you can click to have it display the articles in the old way.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I didn't think that their search was illegal, but if it was, Gawker can't be prosecuted. If the police violate a law in gathering evidence, that evidence can't be used to convict the person. Unless they have enough without the search, they won't be able to do anything

18. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

They had a warrant

19. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Someone should be locked up for that bad redesign...hey-oooooo! :D

20. rrandyy macrumors 6502

There are a handful of exceptions to "the fruit of the poisonous tree." More than one of them likely applies here, as it does in many other cases.

21. Interstella5555, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Engadget isn't on Gawker, they did their own funky change a while ago which is why I hardly ever go there anymore. Giz is a bunch of ass hats who think they're the best thing to happen to tech blogging ever, they deserve everything that happens to them.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, and Gizmodo did Apple a favor in at least one other way:

The leak gave people time to get over the dramatic style change.

Hard to forget how many fans were convinced that "Apple would never design anything that looked like that!"

23. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

That is absolutely true...I remember everyone saying that it was too blocky, too different, and that those "seams" were obviously shoddy workmanship. I think people would've bought it regardless, but could you imaging the iPhone 4 designed by customers who were used to the iPhone 3G/3GS? Rounded off bar of soap with a better camera and front-facing camera...maybe a higher-resolution display, but nobody really was thinking in terms of 300+ ppi.

24. Shenaniganz08, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

the problem is that the early leak of the iPhone 4 caused many people who would have otherwise purchased an iphone 3G or 3GS to see what the next phone is going to look like = lost revenue in those people that would have purchased an iphone 3g/3gs + iPhone 4

The warrant was illegal, and it was eventually withdrawn

http://www.geekosystem.com/gizmodo-iphone-warrant-police/

best explanations of why it was illegal found online

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

I cant believe he sold it for $5000

I bet you could of got a lot more than that out of another company developing phones.