gizmodo previews new 2012 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nychot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

New title:
    Gizmodo Journo SPECULATES on new 2012 MBP.

This article has no more credence than any other predictions of any forum members on this site. (Except maybe the really stupid ones)

I could go through and comment on all the features of this 2012 MBP speculation, but I couldn't be bothered.

All I feel is apathy.

3. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Why does everyone think they are going to remove HDDs? Really? Are you insane? I sure can't operate on 256GB or even 512. I need at least a 750 + SSD.

4. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Apple uses AMD Radeon graphics in all their MacBooks now...

These things will have a super-slim wedge profile. Perhaps even more so than the Macbook Air, given that they will have a largest surface to spread the components.

I find it odd that speculators seem to always forget the bastard child of the MBP line... the 13".

6. that1guyy macrumors 6502

I like this article. It fits most of what I'm looking for. But two things make me scratch my chin (is that a phrase?!).

1) I don't think its going full SSD. Its probably going to be a SSD + HDD combo like in the Mac Mini and iMac. They might go full SSD in the end of the year spec bump because its possible SSD will be cheaper by then.

2) Thinner + lighter is nice, but full wedge and thinner the Air? Hell no.

7. jsolares macrumors 6502a

How will they fit a larger battery if they're making them thinner? even with removing the dvd if they make them thin like an air it just won't have the space for a bigger battery.

I find some of those comments funny, they want the bigger battery but they also want the thinner and a second hard drive...

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Indeed.

Some people clearly do not understand the concepts of compromise and optimisation. They simply clump everything they want with what everyone else wants, and hit "publish". Journalism in today's age sucks.

I believe it is a result of people's need to feel accepted and conforming. People would rather post unrealistic bull that others are likely to respond positively to than reflect a more realistic scenario that people will hate. Even if the second is far more likely.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This article reads like it was written by a twelve year old on this board.

Case in point:

"We know this not because of the usual rumors, but because there is no way this will not happen."

Completely stupid sentence, means nothing. If this article had been posted here, it would be thumbed down to the seventh circle of hell.

10. gpat, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

gpat macrumors 6502a

It's all about how safe they want to play it. For all we know, they could keep the same products as now and add a 15" Air, leaving the rest as they are now + speedbumps (Ivy Bridge, bigger HDDs, 4GB RAM standard) and truly innovate next year or in 2 years, when battery technology will be more advanced, SSDs will be cheaper, Retina Displays will be more viable, Intel CPUs will receive a stronger improvement, and Apple can make some use of that Liquidmetal patents bought some time ago.

If I ran Apple, I would keep the 17" Pro with the current form factor and Ivy Bridge for the ones that need a full-fledged laptop, discontinue all the other MacBooks, and release only two models:

13" MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro.
    Zero bezel around the screen (13" and 15" screen in 12" and 14" chassis)
    Flash-only storage
    User-replaceable RAM
    Standard voltage CPUs (Voltage can be tuned down on battery and brought up when charging, actual Ivy Bridge feature)
    Retina Display (1440x900 and 1680x1050 scaled *2, so 2880x1800 and 3360x2100)
    Only Intel Graphics (AMD/nVidia will become pointless as soon as Retina Displays are introduced, as Intel can handle Retina resolutions fine for all but gaming, and games literally kill discrete GPUs on Retina resolution, so they will be pointless anyway. You can expect this to happen)
    Slightly heavier than 11" and 13" Air for 13" and 15" form factors
    Some kind of battery technology (Liquidmetal fuel cells?)
    Air-like I/O (Thunderbolt, USB, SD, MagSafe, audio, amen)
    Prices are driven down to $999 for 13" after a year due to product streamlining, mass economy on SSDs
    iDocks starting at $199 all the way to $999 (iDock Cinema 27") to give back I/O, SuperDrives, storage, dedicated GPU to professional customers.
    17" Pro gets discontinued after a year.

But of course I don't run Apple, so they will surely have something different in mind :p

11. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Very sensible dissertation. Especially the bezel elimination and subsequent smaller footprint of the machine itself.

13. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Please don't discontinue 17! If you ever do run apple.

14. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I think they should build a SuperDrive into the Thunderbolt Display. If the ODD goes away, buy an external or an ATD, for a true docking station.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If they keep the discrete GPU, the bigger battery is needed for that power so I have no clue how a thinner profile will help.

16. Ridley macrumors regular

I feel like everyone is insane! Its a PRO computer and people want small storage space, and limited ports!? On a related note, i feel like people's perception of thunderbolt as this magically, be all end all, port for everything is literally ruining Apple computers. It is NOT a replacement for USB 3 or USB anything. Thunderbolt is plain and simple Display Port + PCI express... Intel couldn't make this more clear http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html

You know what else was based on PCI express? Expresscard! If you want to know the uses and devices that will likely make use of thunderbolt, look at what macs with expresscard can do. External GPU's, eSATA drives, etc. However it is extremely limiting to combine these two functionalities into 1 port. It means that if you EVER want to use an external display and have highspeed IO, that external display better be an Apple Cinema for a couple grand so it has a thunderbolt pass thru. That's a gouge to say the least. Especially now that they stopped making 30 inch monitors. I'm a professional and i had to get a 30 inch screen from Dell, which means no thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is faster than expresscard for some technical reasons. However you still need USB. Thunderbolt has essentially a direct route to the CPU which is cool and makes it fast. It also means that any device that uses it needs its own controller! That's expensive, and made more expensive by how Apple is jamming and restricting the supply chains. Your computer has a USB controller and so USB devices are dirt cheap... people give out free usb drives at career fairs, HDD enclosures add USB 3 ports at little cost, etc.

I'll stop ranting but suffice to say people are insane. Apple is catering to a crowd that wants to use 1 app at a time, in full screen, with 1 screen, and 1 port at time, with 1 peripheral at a time, like we were back in 1999. Then they'll also decrease storage space so they can use SSD on the marketing materials and have higher margin. And forget about Blu Ray, its not like pro users work with content beyond 480p and even if they do we all know the best way to share a professional video is heavily compressed on youtube and facebook (sarcasm).

I don't understand why people are asking for all these things? My guess is they just aren't pro users.

17. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

What a load of crap imo.

No one uses Ethernet? Every gamer I know uses Ethernet. Or at least those that require fast input/output.

Sure many people use Wireless now, but it still isn't as fast as mainlining it.

It seems that Nvidia is likely to be the latest provisioner for the upcoming MBP according to Apple Rumours and Nvidia. I guess we will have to wait out on this one.

I will be quite surprised if they go only SSD without offering consumers the ability to have more storage than 256GB...... This might be different if it was a MBA we were talking about. But this is a MacBook PRO. So unless they drop the PRO title and disable this as their workhorse portable I don't see it happening.

18. ET3SW macrumors regular

I agree. Gizmodo is probably one of the crappiest tech blog's around these days.

19. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

it's just a compilation of all rumors

it's ridiculous

they forgot to mention that this surreal machine would also be priced $4000

Gizmodo... what else :rolleyes:

----------

they just published a review of the PS Vita

i'm pretty sure they only copy and paste other websites and never really tested it :rolleyes:

20. Mjmar macrumors 65816

After thinking about it, a retina display in a Mac would be more hurt than anything at this point in time. OSX is not as easy to transition since it is not a one app at a time OS like iOS. Apple will probably have no problem updating all of their apps to natively support a retina-like resolution, but the big problem is 3rd party apps. If you were to open something like Photoshop on a 300 ppi display, everything would be 1/3 of the size that it is now, resulting in you needing a magnifying glass to see anything. I just can't see this working, especially when Mac developers are not locked into something like the app store, where Apple has complete control. PC's in general are not going to be able to make the jump to retina as quickly as the iPhone, and probably the iPad. It will be more of a gradual change, like the MacBook Air which went from 1280 x 800 resolution to 1440 x 900 in 2010. Developers will slowly but surely update their apps to support the evolving resolutions of displays, it's just not going to happen overnight.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

This is all just rampant speculation. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they got rid of the firewire 800 port and came out with a thunderbolt dongle instead.

22. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Not to mention thta the human eye cannot distinguish between those resolutions on the small screens of laptops.

Retina display just helps with preserving detail of zoomed in images, nothing more nothing less.

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sorry I stopped right after it said Gizmodo in the title.

But, seriously, ethernet cable is necessary because while there is wireless everywhere these days, the cabled connection is the most stable you can get. I would like more USB ports instead of having to use a hub and much more storage than 256GB. That is a Pro computer.

However, I can see Apple combining the 13" Air and MBP to one computer.