Glad I didn't upgrade my iPad1

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kevingaffney, May 6, 2011.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Stayed with my trusted iPad1 and glad I did. The reviews from the "upgraders" would suggest the difference in iPads are a long way short of mindblowing. The suggested glut of apps that would arrive, that would only run on an iPad2 don't seem to have materialized either. Will have a good look at next years offering and may take the plunge then. Mind you, it's a credit to Apple that this first gen iPad is so good it's difficult to improve on

2. brettatk, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

brettatk macrumors regular

I'm glad I never bought an iPad 1 and waited for the iPad 2, it is far superior. Now would I have upgraded if I had bought the iPad 1? Probably not because $500+ is a lot of money. It's not the same as upgrading your iPhone every year.

3. msduncan macrumors 6502

I'm glad that you are glad.

But I'm glad I upgraded. Speed is noticeably better, memory is better and makes a difference, and the form factor is much more pleasing.

But then again I'll upgrade to the 3 next year, so I'm not the one to comment on this. :apple:

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Unless you have a need for the cameras (and yes they are poor for still images), there is no single big reason to upgrade. Personally though, I think it is a sum of all the improvements and for me was a worthwhile upgrade - the biggest contributers being the increase in RAM and CPU performance. Everything just seems that little snappier, smoother and generally more rewarding.

5. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was my point. Just to get things a little snappier and smoother, and to be honest, I don't notice those problems on my ipad1, it's an expensive upgrade. As for the cameras, they should be on a par with the iPhone4 but they're sadly inferior. The iPad 3 should hopefully be a worthwhile upgrade though

6. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Heh, I never understand these threads. Almost seems like someone trying to justify to *themselves* why they don't need the new toy.

iPad 2 is superior to iPad 1 in every single way. I have both, I use both, and the iPad 2 is much better in every possible way. It feels better, it runs faster, and there are some apps (games in particular) that are starting to take advantage of the increased hardware power already (see: Real Racing 2 HD)...

I'll be going for iPad 3 as well. :D

EDIT: My only lament (thus far) is no jailbreak for iPad 2. But it's coming...

7. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it's so much better, why do you still use your ipad1 at all?

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Had a 1, sold it on eBay and got the 2. I think though marginal, the 2 is in fact better.

Thinner, faster lighter!! :apple:

9. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Indeed, if you already have an iPad 1, there is no reason to upgrade to an iPad 2. However, those of us who did not have an iPad 1, it makes sense to get the iPad 2 instead of the iPad 1.

10. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

It is an expensive upgrade but you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. I think iPad 2 is totally worth it for those who sat out the iPad 1 and waited for the iPad 2.

I think even the speed upgrade is great, especially those of us who read large PDF books (especially PDF reference books).

11. matt90036 macrumors regular

Yeah really, superior in every way? How about the screen quality? And dont tell me it is only at full brightness and a dark room because there are numerous reports of people unable to watch movies on a plane or at nigtpht because of the yellow bleeding. Im staying with ipad 1 until apple gets its quality control together. For me 100% screen quality on a devic that is mostly a screen in itself is a must.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Extremely happy I sold my iPad 1 and got the much better iPad 2.

13. kevingaffney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why is it so much better?

14. rew4946 macrumors newbie

My ipad is the first one

I went to frys looking at tablets, I asked to buy a windows tablet but it was sold out. The guy said buy a ipad, It was $399 same price 16gb. I purchased but had a bad experience with the iphone so really did not want Apple. Well it is pretty neat and I still enjoy it. Don't need a camera and the speed, I got a computer if I need something faster. I wonder if people use them more than they talk about them. I purchased a Imac instead of a Windows machine to go with it. Really made a big mistake with that one. Well I use my Windows Vista again with Itunes a thing that I hate about Ipads and Iphones and Imacs. Just don't like giving a company like Apple my credit card. Oh well I still like the Ipad and I hope that it last a long time. I will never buy another Apple product because of Itunes.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

the answer is in red

You said
    You think Apps will happen over night? they will come in time.

16. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

The reason there are not many iPad 2 focused apps, because its still a growing market (tablet/iPad) and to shun those iPad 1 owners would be suicide.

The iPad 2 is better in every way than the original. If you were to set both of them side by side, the speed, the cameras, the form factor would all lean people to the iPad 2.

Having said that, I own the original iPad from day one, and while the increases are nice, I cannot justify the upgrade. I love the original iPad. I am not going to hate people who bought it, or upgraded from iPad 1.. Do as you wish. We all have an incredible device. Personally for me, I know that I will be buying the next iPhone later this year to upgrade my 3GS, so thats my one apple hardware purchase a year! haha

17. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I wish I had the money to upgrade to an iPad 2. The insufficient ram in the original iPad annoys the hell out of me. Atomic browser closing when I open a few tabs, and certain apps always closing after using them for a while is horrible. I will probably end up dealing with it then upgrading to the iPad 3

18. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

When I tried Atomic it crashed after opening a number of tabs so I deleted the app. Then I tried Terra. I have never had Terra crash no matter how many tabs I open. I have never run out of memory on my original iPad.

19. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I'll have to give Terra a try.

20. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

im gonna give terra a try, but iCab generally did the job for me

21. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

There are other reasons to upgrade and they are not based on a crummy camera, faster processor or more memory. Weight. Try holding the iPad1 and the iPad2 with a bum arm/shoulder/etc. The iPad2 is lighter and is easier to hold for longer periods of time.

We also sold our iPad1s locally for a very good price making the cost of the upgrade small. Could we have gotten more on eBay? Sure, but we would also get the hassle factor, the potential of being ripped off, etc. We sold to people we knew and they love the iPad1s just as much as we love our new iPad2s.

22. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Thanks for the heads up on Terra. Been using it exclusively since you mentioned it and it is great. No crashes at all and I like the minimalistic look. Thanks again.

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I saw the specs on the 2 and read the hype, and wasn't sold. Seemed like a nominal upgrade to me. I decided to wait for the 3.

Then I caught the bug and had to buy the 2 just to have it. Boy, when I use the original one it feels so big, bulky and old. It's like comparing the old white iMacs to the new ones. There's nothing wrong with it. It gets the job done just fine. But you don't even have to turn it on to be able to tell that it's more advanced.

I'm glad I upgraded, but would have been perfectly happy with my original if I hadn't.

24. weenie macrumors member

Is it really that expensive ?

If one sells the iPad-1 and upgrade to iPad-2, I guestimate losing at most few hundred dollars.

For me, that'd be cheap to pay for 1 year of usage on the iPad-1 and enjoying all of its benefits instead of sitting and waiting on the sideline.

25. Ashwood11, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Why call the iPad the iPad1?
    Apple built two models - iPad and iPad2.

Why call it an upgrade from iPad to iPad2?
    No one is upgrading. You are acquiring a new model.