glad i dumped appletv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fewlio, Jul 26, 2015.

1. fewlio macrumors member

had it for a few years. nice remote was the only highlight. uninspired interface and design, junk channels popping up on my home screen all the time, and lame system specs on the hardware.

got an amazon firetv box. voice dictation search! fast hardware, gaming potential, and it offers netflix, amazon prime video and hulu. if apple offered amazon i'd have kept the appletv but im glad it worked out this way because the amazon is all around better.

so my advice is don't let apple loyalty blind you like i did, amazon is a good company, too!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is there a way to stream your iTunes music library and OS X Photos to the FireTV? Those are two biggies for me with the ATV.

3. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

The fire TV has many third party AirPlay apps. They seem to work very well for music and photos. When trying videos it's not as good as the Apple TV. The quality of the video isn't as good and some apps aren't compatible.

4. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

well the firetv wows initially but that wears off, you can't control where your apps show up on that either, they just appear in the order after use. I've gone to plex for all my streaming needs it's pretty much device agnostic as there's a client for everything.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I have both but mostly use the ATV due to AirPlay and iTunes.

6. c55 macrumors regular

c55

I have both and I haven't touched the Fire in months, I'll probably just give it to someone as a birthday gift or something. It's a cool device but I already have an Xbox that does everything the Fire can do, but so much better. And when I want AirPlay or iTunes radio or apple events, I just pull out the AppleTV.

But whatever you do, don't buy that stupid Fire Stick. that thing is a hunk of garbage

7. riviera74 macrumors member

Well, you could get a Roku 3 instead of that Amazon device. I think that the only streaming device that works with iTunes and OSX is AppleTV.

8. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I have an ATV, Amazon Fire Stick, and Roku 3 (2015). They all have their pros and cons.

9. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Airplay & iTunes. That makes it best for me needs. I could care less about the remote.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I use Amazon as well as ROKU3, about 60/40% of the time respectively. I love Amazon Fire for speech search, and all the free movies through Amazon Prime,

11. riviera74 macrumors member

I thought the Roku included Amazon Prime Instant Video.

12. malvicus macrumors member

13. malvicus macrumors member

I have enjoyed using airplay to stream my amazon prime video collection from my phone and from my mac. Now, that I'm committed to Prime for the next year, I am very close to making some big changes to my cable service.

14. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Wow, I think you dropped AppleTV at just about the wrong time. The new AppleTV will allow gaming and apps. Get set to see the next explosion of apps like in the iPhone/iPad space and the new crop of useful apps you cannot live without. Not to mention all the new millionaire app developers hitting it big on the next AppleTV. AppleTV will work with HomeKit and you'll run so much of your house through the AppleTV and not just the TV. In fact I wonder if they will call it AppleTV anymore or something to suggest a bigger footprint of use.

15. riviera74 macrumors member

Maybe true, but the current Apple TV dates from 2012. Can you blame him if all other streaming devices got better during the interim?

16. normanfox macrumors 6502a

I too have been using ATV 2/3 for years but recently jump ship to android TV since Apple have done nothing for a long time. Nvidia shield TV + Kodi (XBMC) + Netflix = complete package. No need to jailbreak or root. everything I need is officially from Google Play Store.

Here are what I like about Android TV + Nvidia Shield
    1) Fast and simple UI
    2) app store
    3) Kodi officially in app store
    4) local streaming from NAS
    5) Android TV supports bluetooth or USB keyboard keys. This allows me to integrate more remote commands (in addition to factory built-in IR commands) into my universal remote (URC MX-880) and use them for Kodi
    6) no need to root/jailbreak. dropping customized Kodi files on the Shield TV is so easy over wifi.

Android M coming this Sep/Oct will add the following features that I am exciting about:
    1) allows installing app/game on external USB storage
    2) support bluetooth headset (private listening at night or noisy room)

I think the new ATV 4 coming this fall will have app store but Apple will not allow Kodi in their app store. the only way is through jailbreak but that would be a long while and lose the ability to upgrade ios on ATV.

17. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Interesting. I thought about getting a Shield for my 4k computer monitor to hold me over until I get a skylake MBP, since I don't have any way to feed it a 4k signal at this point. Not sure it is worth the $200 price tag for my needs, especially for the 16GB version, so I am holding out to see if the price drops. I would probably still use the Apple TV for video streaming/mirroring from iOS, though.

18. M@C macrumors member

I sold something I'm not happy with and bought something I'm happy about. I think I must post on the Internets so everybody knows.

19. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Since you no loner need it. Send it to me.

20. RJEvans macrumors newbie

Even if a new AppleTV is coming next month, that is not going to change the fact that Apple holds too much control over the UI of its apps. The AppleTV Netflix app is by far the worse among media players. The grid view is just not implemented well in many of the AppleTV apps, whereas Roku and Amazon Fire allow developers leeway in creating a UI that is simple and informative. I myself have an AppleTV, but I'm seriously thinking about dumping it for a Roku 3 unless the refresh can sway me.

21. ozaz, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

ozaz macrumors 65816

I've used Apple TV, Roku 3, Chromecast, and Fire TV. I'm not entirely satisfied with any of them because they all lacking at least one (in some cases several) major content providers.

This is has driven me to trying a full Windows PC connected to my TV. I've never previously been attracted to this because of the complexity, size, and cost of full PCs in years gone by. But now that you can get very cheap (I got one for £99/$150), small, virtually silent PCs that easily handle HD streaming I thought I'd give it a go. I have to say, it's exceeded my expectations. Boots from cold in less than 30s, and near instantaneously from sleep. Updates itself and Store apps in the background - getting rid of much of the previous hassle of a PC. And crucially I now have access to every TV/Movie service on the planet, and accessing content on my local network is entirely unproblematic. I also like how I can setup multiple user profiles. I've never understood why dedicated media streamers (Apple TV, Roku) don't see the need for multiple user profiles on a TV connected device. One thing that's surprised me is the much-maligned full screen Windows start menu is actually quite a nice launcher for a TV-connected PC.

I find only two negatives.

1) Need for a full keyboard. This hasn't bothered me, but I guess would bother others. I understand there are smartphone apps that can be used to control PCs so I might give them a go.
    2) Lack of Airplay and Google Cast receiver capability. There might be some Windows apps that add this functionality. But I might keep my Apple TV and Chromecast around anyway just for these purposes.

22. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I don't want to hijack the thread but wanted to ask about your set up - this plays media files well from your NAS and you can install Kodi on the Nvidia Shield? While ATV is a nice "front" for iTunes rental/purchases, I have yet to find any other reason to get it.

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You've made your point, bashing Amazon's product makes you feel good.

Personally I celebrate choices in the market place.

I have ATV and Fire... they're both quite nice and do what they were designed to do very well.

I'm a dedicated Apple AND Amazon customer and couldn't be happier :D

Viva Le Choice!

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I've used the Roku3 a lot, and it is not all that. The UI looks good in screenshots, but it's actually quite poor.

First, the inconsistencies from app to app cause confusion. While Apple does have strict guidelines, those have the benefit of making the UI consistent and predictable, and thereby lowering the learning curve. On the Roku, every app is different, has settings in different places, and has a different way of organizing the content.

Second, Roku is slow. I can't understand why since the hardware is supposedly great. But the apps are slow to load, there is a noticeable and frustrating delay between pressing a button the remote and having it react on the screen. That said, once content begins playing, it's solid. But the UI lag is very annoying. The lag seems greater when loading a longer list.

Third, the remote is awful. I suppose some people like it. The buttons are very spongey and deep. They don't really have a satisfying *click*, and you're not quite sure if the press registered or not - especially with the lag I mentioned above. The headphones port in the remote is a super idea, I just wish the rest of it was built well.

All of this is a shame, because on paper the Roku seems perfect.

25. thepixelpusher, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Enjoy the Amazon Firebox TV for a few weeks more until the Apple TV 4 comes out and offers a galaxy load of content/apps and features way beyond the Amazon Firebox TV.

Not bashing Amazon as I'm a loyal buyer there too. Amazon Echo is way better as a product than Firebox TV. Apple should have made something like the Echo.