Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I think that analogy for an optimistic or pessimistic person is stupid.

If the glass is half empty, you're the one drinking it. You're enjoying the drink and having a good time.

If the glass is half full, you're the one filling it up waiting for it to get full. That means you're the bartender and are serving others who're having a good time.

I'd rather be a glass is half empty kind of person.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Apple said:
I think you misunderstood the analogy.

Half empty = pessomist
half Full = Optomist
Yeah, I know that's what the analogy is supposed to be, but it doesn't make sense.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
What if the glass is half broken? Will the optimist drink out of it 'cause it's half not broken? There's gotta be an optimists hospital somewhere that is half busy. Err- maybe the analogy doesn't work that way. I dunno.

I guess it depends on what I'm drinking-

Beer = Half empty and should start looking to the bar to get another
Wine = Half full and I'm probably feeling a little nostalgic
Water = Half full - and sometimes a little brown
Tequila = If anyone finishes half a glass of tequila the toilet will be half full.
Juice = I can't tell- my sippy cup is opaque.

Maybe my theory is half baked.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
ibook30 said:
Maybe my theory is half baked.
Hm, I don't know. Maybe the one who throws the first glass in a glass house is half dead?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it is a silly analogy. one that i particularly don't like, and its usage is too common, so much so that its trite and a bit annoying to hear it.

the glass is half empty to me. why? because it had to be full to be able to be at a half way point.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
life is basically dictated by perception, not circumstance

there are always people who can have everything and be truly miserable, and it may be as little as their personality and not any fault or pessimism on their part

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
I don't understand!!

hold on there, cowboys. if it is half empty, then it is also half full!!! if it is half full, then it is also half empty!!!

half empty = half full!!!

don't you understand??? the question isn't "is the glass half empty, or half full". the qustion is "is the glass half empty AND half full" except that not a question, so if you have a glass that is filled half way to capacity, IT IS BOTH!!!

i feel like i am the only smart one around here

;)

you are all so lucky you have me

;)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
PlaceofDis said:
the glass is half empty to me. why? because it had to be full to be able to be at a half way point.
no, not necessarily. see last two lines of post above. ^

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
mlw1235 said:
I like to think that my glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

;)

YEAH! I just want a really big glass without the perception that it's too big...knowing that it's just right. A really big glass that's half ready...to be filled or to be emptied.

With St. Patrick's day on the morrow, I'd say I want a glass that is either empty or full, of Guinness. It'll be the lucky person that sees it anywhere in between for very long.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Glass Boy: Do not try and understand the glass. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Glass Boy: There is no glass. :cool:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree with gekko513: the analogy sucks.

If you say it's half full, clearly you consider "full" to be optimal, so it's only halfway there, and you're being way too bitchy because, hey, at least you've got something, so quit complaining.

If you say it's half empty, then, clearly, you're focusing on the part you can't drink instead of on the beverage itself, and so, while you might or might not be optimistic or pessimistic, you tend to look at the wrong things.

And, regardless of half full or half empty, you're way too anal because you've clearly spent time deciding upon the level at which the glass has exactly half of its available volume filled with liquid - no easy feat with a non-cylindrical glass - and you've waited until that exact moment to say something. Loser.

That, or you just don't really care at all where the halfway mark is, and you're just saying something to the effect of "hey, there seems to be something in the glass, because it's neither full nor empty" which is almost completely useless, unless it's of some importance that the glass is either utterly devoid of moisture or is filled to absolute capacity, which is very difficult to do - usually at least a few more molecules will fit.

To me, an optimist is someone who buys a Rev A Mac, assuming it'll all be fine, and a pessimist is someone who already knows that the next round of Macs will have crappy graphics and ship with way too little standard RAM.

No, wait, that's the optimist/realist difference.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Koodauw said:
I just drink drink from the bottle.

tomorrow, i will drink from two bottles...one black and one tan...for st. patrick's day...and because i am too lazy to make the guinness try and float over the bass ale :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.