Glass or Plastic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sirus The Virus, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Which one?

1. Glass

53 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Plastic

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Can

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

What do you prefer your soda in? Glass bottles or plastic bottles? I think glass bottles are way better, the soda tastes better, and glass is reusable and doesn't pose a threat to the environment. I sure hope glass comes back.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never had it from glass, but I prefer aluminum cans. There seems to be more flavor and carbonation

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Back when I drank soda, a glass for sure. Way better.

Same now goes for beer.

4. seattle macrumors 6502

I like glass bottles the best. My local Costco store carries Coke in glass bottles with real cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Plastic. I drink too slowly and too little. :eek: Plastic means I can cap it up and stick it in the 'fridge to finish up later. Hee.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Stanley Goodspeed: Glass or plastic, glass or plastic?

- The Rock (1996)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, yeah I'm a bit like that too. However, I also like cans because they're cheaper than bottles here :)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oh way cheaper. :eek: Just means I have to be willing to drink slightly flat sodie. :eek:

Anyone drink Coke products who doesn't collect the MCR codes? :eek:

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You just can't beat a soda straight from the fountain, in my opinion.

Although, as far as the question is concerned, I feel that soda tastes best in those 20 oz. plastic bottles (a ton of carbonation!), followed by cans, and lastly 2 L bottles (goes flat before I can drink it all).

I've had soda in glass bottles before, but never the same brand I've had elsewhere so it's hard to make a comparison. Besides, glass bottles are way too expensive and too big of a hassle to recycle.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

A refrigerated can tastes about as good as one from a glass bottle or fountain. Whenever I drink soda, it's usually from a can because it's the most convenient form.

As for sparkling water, I prefer my oddly shaped Aquafina bottle. Sparkling water doesn't taste good out of a can, and I like being able to sip my sparkling water throughout the day. Plus, I can do cool juggling tricks with them.

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Glass. Oasis used to taste much better when it was in glass. Coke out of a glass bottle is just amazing :D

I'd like to see a return to more glass bottles being used, but better facilities for recycling them also to prevent them ending up in landfill.

Bars and clubs, of course, are increasingly only selling plastic bottles of beer/alcopops/etc as a safety thing...

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Err, personally, its all the same to me.

Though I definitely prefer a cold soda over a warm one.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I always prefer glass but it's not so easy to recycle here so I understand why it's not used so much.

(the orange recycling bags the councils give you specifically state not to put glass in there) Our nearest recycling bin is not so near either so it collects in our little flat for AGES, but it sometimes just gets gets thrown out... in the plastic bin bags, which we're forced to use since the councils here have not figured out that bins are probably a better and more civilized way to go and also make recycling of all kinds easier. Something about leaving a bunch of plastic bags full of trash on the street is very uncivilized to me. <shrug>

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What the container is made of does not make the drink any more acceptable. I'll pass, thanks.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Coke off my girlfriend's bare, heaving breasts is best, but it's embarrassing when I'm thirsty at work.

19. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I drink milk the same way. *honk honk*

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I work part time in a Package Store... We have a large scale bottle redemption center (here in Mass, there's a 5 cent deposit on most carbonated beverages and alcohol, sans hard liquor/wine). Overall, cans are by far the most popular choice for soda, with plastic a close second. Glass however is my choice, and I've seen a lot more in the way of glass in the past few months. Coke has recently upped their production of glass bottled Coke Classic, and overall has been selling well - hopefully this will spark some sort of trend towards glass.

23. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

24. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I like my Pepsi from Taco Bell mixed with the e coli tainted ice and the subtle hint of industrial cleaner.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Glass, whether it is a bottle, or just a plain-old glass cup is best, followed by can, followed by plastic bottle.