Glass trackpad flexing on uMBP 2009!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBritishBloke, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I've heard the horror stories of the trackpad cracking. However, now I have to push exceptionally hard on the top half of my trackpad to get it to click. And if I press it at the middle of the top of the trackpad, it doesn't click, it just flexes.

Should Apple replace this under applecare? I'm worried about using it incase they begin and blame me.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The trackpad is hinged at the top. It will only physically click from about mid-point forward.

I only use the physical button for dragging - everything else it tap-click. If you haven't, you might give it a try.

3. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

You shouldn't be clicking on the top half of the trackpad anyway; it's only the bottom half that clicks.

The trackpad itself is hinged in the middle which is why you you can only click on the bottom half of it. The flex that you're experiencing is the click itself.

4. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Surely it should work on both sides.

I do use tap to click, but sometimes I just physically click it without thinking, just a habit. If it breaks at the top, we'd get the blame for it when it's actually THEIR design flaw?

It depends how I'm sat. I usually click the top when I'm sat upright, and the bottom when I'm on my bed.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I was experimenting with my trackpad and it actually does click at the top right and left, but not top center (though, it will click about 1/2" down from center). Those top corners do take considerable pressure compared with the bottom of the trackpad. I never noticed it before, because I'm used to clicking at the bottom of any trackpad [with my thumb]. It it obviously hinged/mounted at the top area of the trackpad. It's just the way it's built. Yes, the owner's manual does say "anywhere", but to me, common sense says "they" probably expected people to use the trackpad in a similar fashion to the separate button - i.e. towards the bottom. I'm not trying to apologize for Apple, except to say they probably should change the wording. I'm just saying the general usage would be to click somewhere in the bottom half.

If you have tap-click enabled, just try and remember to use it. If you find the trackpad resisting, it's moot since you've already clicked with tap-click. :confused:

There seems to be some variance in the pressure needed to "click" the new trackpads. Perhaps your's is stiffer than most, but in any event trying to force it to the point of breakage might be considered abuse and not be covered under warranty.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

How can it work on both sides when it's hinged? There has to be an area where the trackpad doesn't work due the hinging action, and in the MBP that area is roughly the top sixth of the trackpad, and consequently it becomes progressively easier to click as you approach the bottom of the trackpad.

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Laptop trackpad buttons have always been at the botton. Apple designed their for the button to be integrated at the bottom of the trackpack, so the bottom physically moves acting as a big button. I have never known a laptop to have buttons at the top so just click the bottom and you wont have an issue. :)

8. kolax macrumors G3

The trackpad button has always been below the trackpad. Why on earth are you clicking at the top of the trackpad?

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

really....

i could name 4 laptop manf. with buttons on the top.

thinkpad , ibm , dell , hp ....all there corporate ones have 2 sets of buttons.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I understand were this guy is coming from. i mean when apple gives the sales pitch on this glass pad they say "the whole track pad is the button"

the "whole" trackpad.

with that said, i did figure out the design about 2 mins after using one and realized the click only occurs on the bottom half of the pad.

if you click on the top and push until it does, you WILL crack the pad. it is not a design flaw, it is just the design. now that you know, it would definitely be abuse now.

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

they should have just put a skinny button like the MBA-much better

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

While you're entitled to your opinion I respectfully disagree. I am quite fond of the large surface area of the touchpad and the additional convenience afforded by being able to click almost anywhere (within reason) on the trackpad surface. Due to the nature of the hinge mechanism, I find myself most often clicking within the lower 40% of the trackpad, but that still a much larger area than a skinny button would offer.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Now that I'm used to my glass trackpad, I go crazy when I switch to my wife's MBA. I keep pressing on the trackpad (bottom edge) and, surprise: nothing happens... ;) I think I do it because I'm used to the contiguous surface of the glass trackpad.

I would prefer it to be a lighter/quieter touch on the combined button, but the trade-off for the larger real estate is more than worth the slight compromise.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ive tried to use it and i hate it. I dont use tap to click b/c i do live music stuff and a accidental tap would mess a lot of stuff up. the skinny button would be nice, i dont really understand the whole (bigger trackpad is better) my pointer speed is on as fast as it gets and i dont need the whole pad. Just like you dont need the whole pad to do 2-3-or 4 finger gestures. and for dragging, its much easier to hold my thumb on the button and drag with my index, instead of trying to hold down while dragging

15. Pocket lint macrumors regular

The buttons at the top of thinkpads et al are not for the trackpad, but for the trackpoint. There are buttons below the trackpad to be used for the trackpad.

16. chriszzz macrumors 6502

No it shouldn't. As others have mentioned, there is a hinge located in the top-middle that allows the button to move. There is no movement for a click because of this.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

the need for the large realestate is due to the gesture introduced. it was done so that we have enough room to do 3 & 4 finger gestures. especially people with big hands like myself. if i was to have a smaller pad and try to do 4 finger it would be difficult.

as for accidental taps, i dont think i have ever "accidentally" clicked a the tap when i had tap to click on. the computer has special technology built in to recognize and filter out accidental taps.

you can always use a bluetooth mouse if you dont like it.