glass trackpad ??????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbcollins93, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

I want to know what the big hype over glass trackpads is. i mean i am not dissing them or anything, but i just want to know why everyone wants these trackpads. I mean they look cool and all but what are the perks? And what are the things that are going to make it suck. I just want the pros and cons basically. so thanks a lot.

cheers

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The idea is that a Glass Track pad can use multi-touch like the iPhone, and perhaps include a small display behind it so that you can either have a smaller representation of the main display or its own interface.

TEG

3. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

so basically it is just to make it look cool. my experience with first gen. "cool" things, that they dont do anything but look cool is that they suck.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's not what TEG said. So you think the iPhone and the iPod with a click-wheel sucked?

So you think that the first Apple laptop with a trackpad instead of a ball sucked?

5. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

Expect some of the first questions to be, "Can I use the large track pad is a drink coaster?"

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

well since they may not even be part of the next mb/mbp's, how would you expect anyone here to rate them?

7. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

i am not saying it is going to suck. because frankly every apple product i have owned has been superb. it is just i guess i am not getting the answer i want. i want to know what are some of the benefits of a glass trackpad and what i am not going to like about it. because i don't own a iphone nor have i used one. so i don't know what a glass trackpad is like. Basically what will it benefit me. And do yall think you will like it. note i will be getting a macbook pro within 3 months and it will be my first mac period. So if you think i i am doubting apple right now you are correct. i dont want to dump 3,00 dollars into something i absolutely hate. I have always had ipod and always been happy but computers are different. thanks a bunch.
    cheers

8. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

It feels good, look good and allows it to be programable. So the UI on the trackpad can change from app to app.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

The newest MBP trackpads already support multi touch, right? Mine does things similar to the iphone, i.e. pinch to make something smaller

10. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

that would be really cool. it would be like a gaming system (ie. xbox 360) where you can invert the controlls or change the controlls for different games.

11. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

Of course this would be the case. I mean, the trackpads on computers are already customizable now... :)

12. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I like the feel of trackpads on the current Macbooks, and I don`t think an iPhone-like glass trackpad would be as good. Whether you like it or not it will get greasy just like the iphone and it just doesnt let your finger slide as well. Although I admit it would look cool and all I am truly wishing Apple wont do it. They could maybe put it as an option?

13. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

This is true and I agree. I'm already OCD enough as it is. I don't want to have to worry about fingerprints. I'm going to be hesitant about buying an iPod Touch or using it much until I find a good case. Don't want to have to constanty clean my MB's trackpad as well. Not to mention, it would suck if the glass cracked...

14. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

yeah that is what i am looking for a customizable option. that is what i would want.

15. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Maybe if the heat was strong enough from the screen under it, it could either, A) keep your drink warm (if its a warm drink) or, B) you could dim the screen, make it a little cooler, and keep condensation from building up on the pad

I doubt, if this does come to the notebooks, it would be a BTO option. The change would be a pretty major one to the case design and therefore, it wouldn't just be a matter of which part to put in. Maybe someone else knows a little more about this and can clarify?

16. str1f3 macrumors 68000

i'd seriously doubt that it would be an option. it would either be on there or not. apple is not the type of company to put that as an option.

17. 4fingered macrumors member

I completely agree. Although I think it would be cool, espessially if there was a screen under it that would change depending on apps, I would not want this because it doesn't slide as nice as a track pad. I love my iphone but I can easily wipe the screen on my shirt and go about working away on it. If the track pad was glass it would be a bit harder to clean and I would worry way more about eating and working.

18. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I think of two cool things a glass trackpad can be used for

1.games (it will be like having a giant ds maybe they would even make a ds emulator that will work with glass trackpad)

2. It can be used as a tiny pen tablet for those that do not want the full sized one if they do come out with a full sized one.

19. 4fingered macrumors member

you know how retarded it would be to use a track pad that size as a pen tablet? I've borrowed my friend's tablet and it's the smallest size you can get. I would almost rather use a mouse. Although if the track pad was like twice or 3 times as big it might be useful for some people.

20. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I do not think any human being would attempt to do professional work on a trackpad that size. But someone will design writing recognition software for it and others will find use for it. Smart phones are small and they have writing recognition software on them and people find use so why not?

21. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

A $2000 Nintendo DS. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes, because the trackpad is the only part to a computer.

I dont really see the glass trackpad rumor having legs. The way i see it someone at apple let it slip that they would be like the iphone (meaning multi touch) but some idiot thought they meant glass.

Anyone have the origin of the rumor?

23. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Ya, in otherwords USELESS. Wow, a smaller representation of the screeen right in front of your face. :rolleyes: Who needs multitouch on a "desktop replacement" anyways, is the GUI too much trouble these days? The whole point to the 'touch' iPod is because its so small to begin with. Its a solution to make it functional. I seriously hope Apple isn't wasting time on this and instead puts r&d into just making the machine FASTER and better.

No to the glass trackpad.

24. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Hmmm, a smaller representation of the screen on the glass trackpad... or, a display that changes UI with each application...? Sounds cool, and futuristic... but totally impractical. Why would I want to spend all this time looking at a tiny screen below my keyboard and not the actual display on my MBP? As it is now, I almost never take my eyes off the screen to do anything with the trackpad, as it's a completely tactile experience - no looking necessary. I can't see the point of changing this.

25. Jonathan_W macrumors member

The biggest advantage that I can see using glass trackpads is that they shouldn't wear down like the plastic ones which eventually becomes sticky and shiny in the middle after lots of usage :p