Glitches when importing

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mark88, Jun 22, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Bought 2 CDs yesterday(Bill Hicks & Bad Religion FYI)....

I import to lossless on my Windows HTPC and ACC on my Macbook. Both CDs on both machines import with glitches on, even playing directly from the CDs I can hear these littlke glitches as if someone knocks the discs and it skips.

Never had this problem before and I'm confused why it's happening on both machines with 2 new CDs, surely not a coincidence? I've checked the discs are they are prestine, not marks on them at all.

2. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

When you say you hear the glitches when playing directly, do you mean playing directly in the computer or in a CD player? I'm asking because I have the same problem, but when I play my discs in a CD player, there is no defect whatsoever. When played in the computer, about 30% of my discs have defects in random locations. (I've noticed this since the first CD-ripping programs came out)

At first I thought that maybe the OS or ripping program got interrupted by some background task or it was a hardware timing problem, but I've run many different diagnostic programs and they consistently picked the exact location of the defect on the disc. I'm thinking that the reason for this is that the quality of computer CD-ROM drives is utter rubbish and they can't read small variations that dedicated players can handle.

You should do what I do - get yourself an audio editing program, locate the "click-pop" defects and cut them out. It's tedious, but there's nothing else you can do.

3. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It only happens in the computer, whether I'm playing off the CD or the encode.

Same CDs play without glitches in my Hifi.

Is it a bug with iTunes?

4. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

Arrrrggggg!!!!!

I just bought about 20 new music discs and on every single one there is at least one track with a "click-pop" defect when imported or played on computer. When played in a dedicated CD player, there is no defect whatsoever. The weird thing is that one disc set I bought contains a couple discs I already own and the defects are in the exact locations - even though these discs are entirely different releases! (but tracks in same order)

If the "click-pop" defect was caused by scratch or random manufacuring surface defect, it is too much of a coincidence for it to occur at the exact locations. It can't be a file write error because the CD players read it perfectly and it wouldn't make sense that there would be one per disc in specific tracks.

I'm beginning to think this is deliberate - maybe some primitive copy-protection or something.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Could you tell us which label this is?

Next, when you look at every detail of the packaging, does it say anywhere on the packaging that what you bought is actually an Audio CD? Does it have the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" label anywhere? Phillips doesn't allow anybody to sell something named "CD" unless it conforms to the Red Book standard; copy protection usually prevents that.

If it is not a CD, you should return it to the shop. Create the biggest possible stink if they don't want to accept it back.

6. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

The discs are from many different labels (Sony, RCA, Harmonia Mundi, Analekta) and all have the standard Compact Disc logo.

No, I was thinking that maybe Windows had some built in code to deliberately screw up attempts to rip CDs (similar to their other code that deliberately and secretly screws up attempts to record audio or video through "unauthorized interfaces"). Maybe not though if this is also happening on Macs - but I haven't seen any other threads about this problem here.