Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As another poster mentioned in the very beginning of this thread, {market saturation and Smart phone technology} is at its peak point. The reality is, smart phones will continue to advance, but the inflation of prices is holding consumer stagnant from upgrading. More than ever, [with an economic recession in place], a smart phone is one of the last items in a household that would need to be upgraded at any given point, unless the user experiences hardware/software issues.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
As another poster mentioned in the very beginning of this thread, {market saturation and Smart phone technology} is at its peak point. The reality is, smart phones will continue to advance, but the inflation of prices is holding consumer stagnant from upgrading. More than ever, [with an economic recession in place], a smart phone is one of the last items in a household that would need to be upgraded at any given point, unless the user experiences hardware/software issues.

Yeah current smartphones are already amazing and most people already have one... but there is always someone who is ready to upgrade.

Hell... this was a disastrous quarter with a 20% decrease in shipments YoY... and they still shipped almost 300 million units in three months.

It'll be interesting to see how far the downward trends go in Q2 and Q3... but the smartphone market will still likely be at least a billion units for the year.

That's still huge.

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
With Samsung and Huawei down 23% and 27% respectively, Apple's much smaller drop of just 8% is impressive.

Apple has finally lowered prices for entry-level devices, so it‘s no surprise sales held up better than for other companies this year. But that was a one-time event. Next year they‘ll be joining the ranks again.

What I personally like: Huawei lost the most. I just can‘t stand that company.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And apple still sold over 28 million iPhone 11 models in Q1
[automerge]1591084003[/automerge]
We're Number Three!! We're Number Three!!
Market share is irrelevant given the amount of devices those other companies sell for super low price points.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not surprised fewer want to buy a new $400-$1200 smartphone when they’re all sitting at home with nobody to show it off to.
How sad to think that people buy an expensive smartphone just to show it off.
[automerge]1591092352[/automerge]
I was making fun of those companies for failing to have a presence in the USA market. It looks like you misunderstood my point. Maybe English isn’t your first language?
Lots of people on these forums, especially Americans, have no first language. English is their second or third, to judge by the quality. (I once saw a reporter at a tennis match, on live TV, saying that apparently English wasn't Martina Hingis' first language. Another reporter replied "No, it isn't, it's her fifth language. So what's your second, third and fourth language?")
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Yet compared to Xiaomi's 1.4% increase, Apple's 8% decrease does not seem as impressive.

I wonder, what part of that 1,4 % increase takes up Xiaomi phones over 300 $. I would guess it is pretty small, if there even is any.

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
Just like DVD Players and Large Screen TV's, the prices will go so low and quality at this low price will be excellent for most people, leaving only the few enthusiasts to go for the latest high end model, as no normal person will have any need for what the high end model offers.

Bang on. I have never once bought a "new" TV. I would only buy used ones from craigslist or shady used TV storefronts, because the brand new top-of-the-line ones were far too expensive.

Recently I decided to start shopping for a big 4K tv to replace our 42" HD basement tv I use for movies and gaming. I couldn't believe how affordable they have become. I'm expecting to pay no more than $500 for a very decent 4K 60" TV. It's wild.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Xiaomi’s phones aren’t even sold in the USA, they’re just another irrelevant Chinese brand here, same as Huawei.
I was making fun of those companies for failing to have a presence in the USA market. It looks like you misunderstood my point. Maybe English isn’t your first language?

No, it’s that your “point” was unrelated to the topic, and bad. So what if Xiaomi phones aren’t sold in the US? You realize that China is the biggest single market in the world right? You realize that the majority of products in the world aren’t sold in the US? That it’s not the be all end all of markets? Plenty of products only sell in or near their home countries. Unless the topic is “products that are selling well in the US” your so called “point” is IRRELEVANT.

People can read just fine, you just aren’t adding anything of value to the conversation.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Sales will be down across the board for every company so it's really no surprise. I also think we have reached peak smartphone. Not really anywhere to go from where we are at other then fancy cameras and faster processors.
Well, Xiaomi said otherwise. :D

Covid will test more of an OEMs logistic and distribution channel readiness. Those who were already focused on online channels like Xiaomi are in better position than those relying on offline channels (eg. OPPO).
[automerge]1591110493[/automerge]
Yet compared to Xiaomi's 1.4% increase, Apple's 8% decrease does not seem as impressive.
Considering the market segment Apple is at, and how they closed all their stores and have logistic problems with China, that mere 8% decrease is impressive. I mean look at Samsung, who doesn't even have factories in China (so logistic wise they're in much better position), yet got hit real bad.
[automerge]1591110731[/automerge]
Ok I'll bite. This isn't data. Its guesswork dressed up in the veneer of a report, that's a "hook" to get you to buy more guesswork. None of the vendors reports actual unit sales any more, and when they did, it wasn't unusual for Gartner etc to be out by huge percentages 2x or 3x in some cases compared to the actual "phone in a customer's hand" numbers versus "phones in a distribution warehouse" number.
Definitely. It's all "educated guess" by consultants. But hey, it's macrumors anyway, and we even got more serious in discussing mere rumors. So it's still a fun way to discuss things. :D
[automerge]1591110810[/automerge]
I wonder, what part of that 1,4 % increase takes up Xiaomi phones over 300 $. I would guess it is pretty small, if there even is any.
Based on the original link, it's mentioned that it's the Redmi models (which about less than US$200).

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
What is I see is that Samsung and Huawei despite dropping 20+% can still sell more handsets than Apple.

Oh sorry, but Apple only dropped 8%, they are the best (insert all other counter-arguments and Apple Gusher comments here) :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What is I see is that Samsung and Huawei despite dropping 20+% can still sell more handsets than Apple.

Oh sorry, but Apple only dropped 8%, they are the best (insert all other counter-arguments and Apple Gusher comments here) :rolleyes:

Doesn't that make you a Samsung-gusher or Huawei-gusher? Bragging about beating Apple? JK... :p

Look... Samsung and Huawei have sold more handsets than Apple for YEARS... I'm not sure why you're just noticing this news today.

But you'll note that while you need at least $400 to get a current iPhone... Samsung and Huawei offer extreme budget phones. They routinely sell handsets for less that $200. That's where they get the bulk of their sales volume.

So yeah... Samsung and Huawei sell more handsets than Apple. And no one is disputing that.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Well that is hardly impressive now is it? Selling more overall when those companies sell thousands of different type of phones.

What matters is the fact the phones that are marketed the iPhone destroyed the high end market with 28 million in one quarter.

Iphone 11- 28 million
S20 line- 8 million.

Says more than overall sales

With apple entering the lower end with the SE i can see the budget sales to be very good going forward.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Sales will be down across the board for every company so it's really no surprise. I also think we have reached peak smartphone. Not really anywhere to go from where we are at other then fancy cameras and faster processors.
Agree. I like larger screens, so I have liked to upgrade, but the last thing I consider a major change was FaceID.
[automerge]1591128745[/automerge]
Bang on. I have never once bought a "new" TV. I would only buy used ones from craigslist or shady used TV storefronts, because the brand new top-of-the-line ones were far too expensive.

Recently I decided to start shopping for a big 4K tv to replace our 42" HD basement tv I use for movies and gaming. I couldn't believe how affordable they have become. I'm expecting to pay no more than $500 for a very decent 4K 60" TV. It's wild.
Yea we always get the still new but on the way out big sale ones. We got a 58" Sharp RokuTV from Best Buy for around $300, and it's working great.

Insane you can get deals like that and then you have the 98" OLED 8K for just shy of $60K!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.