Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Global smartphone shipments dropped an estimated 38 percent in February 2020, marking the biggest ever fall in the history of the worldwide smartphone market, according to new data shared today by Strategy Analytics.

iphone-11-pro-no-white-background.jpg

Smartphone companies shipped an estimated 61.8 million units in February 2020, down from 99.2 million units in February 2019.

Smartphone demand in Asia dropped heavily in February, leading to a significant collapse in sales as lower demand in Asia dragged down shipments across the world. Some Asian factories were unable to manufacture smartphones due to quarantines and travel restrictions and customers were unable or unwilling to leave their homes to visit retail stores and buy new devices.
"February 2020 saw the biggest fall ever in the history of the worldwide smartphone market. Supply and demand of smartphones plunged in China, slumped across Asia, and slowed in the rest of the world. It is a period the smartphone industry will want to forget."
Strategy Analytics Senior Analyst Yiwen Wu said that though there are now signs of recovery in China, global smartphone shipments are expected to remain weak throughout March 2020 as many countries are still struggling with the coronavirus.

Apple Stores in several countries including the United States are closed for the time being, and millions of consumers are in lockdown or unable to shop for new devices.
Yiwen Wu, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics, added, "Despite tentative signs of recovery in China, we expect global smartphone shipments overall to remain weak throughout March, 2020. The coronavirus scare has spread to Europe, North America and elsewhere, and hundreds of millions of affluent consumers are in lockdown, unable or unwilling to shop for new devices. The smartphone industry will have to work harder than ever to lift sales in the coming weeks, such as online flash sales or generous discounts on bundling with hot products like smartwatches."
Apple in February said that its March quarter revenue will not meet its revenue goals, though we won't know how far below target Apple lands until its April earnings call.

Article Link: Global Smartphone Shipments See Biggest Fall Ever in February 2020

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
And this is how it’s going to be in the foreseeable future. The last thing on consumers mind right now is buying ‘new tech’, given the uncertainty of the economy/jobs, lack of supplies in grocery stores, etc. In the midst of what’s happening right now, some will be repurposing how they spend their finances, and I think smart phones that breach over $1000 is not a very smart purchase right now if somebody isn’t in need of an upgrade. Consumers in general will be more mindful of where their dollar is spent until this situation stabilizes.

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
It's because almost everyone in the world who uses a smartphone can use it another year (or two or three or four) no problem. It's very rare for someone to wait until their phone breaks until they buy another one.
When financial uncertainty is ahead, the last purchase on someone's mind is buying another smartphone

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
And this is how it’s going to be in the foreseeable future. The last thing on consumers mind right now is buying ‘new tech’, given the uncertainty of the economy/jobs, lack of supplies in grocery stores, etc. In the midst of what’s happening right now, some will be repurposing how they spend their finances, and I think smart phones that breach over $1000 is not a very smart purchase right now if somebody isn’t in need of an upgrade. Consumers in general will be more mindful of where their dollar is spent until this situation stabilizes.

100% this -- especially when you consider the massive unemployment that is ahead of us. Suddenly that iPhone 8 doesn't look so bad.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
what a shock...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile...Toilet Paper is now being sold on the black market and recently a single roll was traded for a used iPhone.
Two months ago nobody gave a crap.

Inflation on TP is that high now? Just a few days ago it was free with two orders of pizza since business is dead at restaurants and they have a surplus of TP.

KingBrown1.jpg

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

This. We will see effects of this emergency for a long time. The iPhone will continue to be a successful product but they won’t have another record holiday quarter this year.
As people are working and studying from home I’d expect a raise in Mac and iPad sales this year though

Reactions: rdy0329 and klm9210

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
Yeah, well that’s that industrial garbage toilet paper.

Not sure it’s worth it.

Yeah, probably that abrasive sandpaper half ply shish but are they all that bad? If the good soft stuff is still sold out I'll take one for the team and try out different industrial TP to see if there's any decent ones.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
what a shock...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile...Toilet Paper is now being sold on the black market and recently a single roll was traded for a used iPhone.
Two months ago nobody gave a crap.

OT
Anecdote, I was in a supermarket a few days ago, people talked about toilet paper hoarding next to the
cashier, I laughed, said I don't need toilet paper, you should have seen their faces....
I have a shower toilet.:)
/OT

------

Bet Apple's revenue will be halved this or next season.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Yeah, probably that abrasive sandpaper half ply shish but are they all that bad? If the good soft stuff is still sold out I'll take one for the team and try out different industrial TP to see if there's any decent ones.

When you get down to the brown paper towels in the public bathrooms, you have my sympathy.

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
Ironically, I have to put together a workstation to work from home but sourcing parts has become difficult. My shipments from Amazon are just sitting in the warehouse with nobody moving them along. 1-day shipping has turned into 1-week shipping.

Reactions: rui no onna

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
Your reply is an example that you did not understand my post whatsoever, even though other members have. It’s nothing to do about being ‘broke’, it’s about prioritizing in terms of what you need versus want. That should simplify what I said to help you understand better.

I did understand your post, and I was simply pointing out that while you may need to prioritize purchases, others don’t. People have a way of projecting their circumstances and those of their immediate circle on to the larger population. It’s important to keep that in mind.

xxray

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2013
It’s crazy to think that the current bull market has been so long that the majority of Apple’s most successful products right now weren’t even around the last time there was a recession. The iPad, Apple Watch, and AirPods weren’t released, and the smartphone market has now matured. Interesting to think about.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2020
OT
Anecdote, I was in a supermarket a few days ago, people talked about toilet paper hoarding next to the
cashier, I laughed, said I don't need toilet paper, you should have seen their faces....
I have a shower toilet.:)
/OT

------

Bet Apple's revenue will be halved this or next season.
Not a full fail but pretty substantial fail
[automerge]1584754093[/automerge]
I don’t think many people wish to part with $1000+ when they’re not sure they’ll have a job the next month.
Nope fed money is going to be flooding the economy and guess what? People are going to use it

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
It's because almost everyone in the world who uses a smartphone can use it another year (or two or three or four) no problem. It's very rare for someone to wait until their phone breaks until they buy another one.
When financial uncertainty is ahead, the last purchase on someone's mind is buying another smartphone

meh

come September the next iPhone will be sold out for weeks and set new sales records.
[automerge]1584756451[/automerge]
February: Lowest shipments ever!!!

March: hold my beer...

Hold my beer. First time I’ve heard that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.