Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
And this is how it’s going to be in the foreseeable future. The last thing on consumers mind right now is buying ‘new tech’, given the uncertainty of the economy/jobs, lack of supplies in grocery stores, etc. In the midst of what’s happening right now, some will be repurposing how they spend their finances, and I think smart phones that breach over $1000 is not a very smart purchase right now if somebody isn’t in need of an upgrade. Consumers in general will be more mindful of where their dollar is spent until this situation stabilizes.

Spot on. So many people's lives have fundamentally changed and have become unrecognizable. The world is essentially, currently unrecognizable.

It's insane.

Reactions: Osxguy

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I don’t think phone sales are going to increase anytime soon.

Makes me appreciate my current phone.

I’m not ready to drop another $1000 with TP, paper towels and tissues at 110% markup.

Reactions: Osxguy

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
Over saturated, over subscribed and tbh the **** os as of late has sent many many and i do work with many retirees who spend money scared of updating... while some do Make the jump for $1,000 they expect that device to do a lot more than it currently does.. besides when i spent over a thousands dollars on a device it better last at least two years... I’m sure ill get a whole lot of **** which is why i stopped posting here but i just could’t be silent on this one.. apple has been producing crap lately...

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
all year/year stats are going to be screwed this yer and next because of covid-19. well next yers stat can be compared with 2019, alltho we will not have to 5G bump in demand. we can expect next year

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I did understand your post, and I was simply pointing out that while you may need to prioritize purchases, others don’t. People have a way of projecting their circumstances and those of their immediate circle on to the larger population. It’s important to keep that in mind.
Only edit to your point is one word YET.

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
Only edit to your point is one word YET.

For some, but not for others. It’s easy to forget how much money is out there and how many millionaires are in the world. The market for luxury goods will always be there. There’s an untapped market for more expensive phones in the $5-10K too. I mean if you’re rich, do you really want the same phone as your waiter?

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Apple is well positioned to weather this, but unless something changes in the trajectory of the virus, we're in for a huge economic storm.
Where are all of Apple’s advanced A-series CPUs made? Oh yeah, that would be TSMC on the island of Taiwan. China considers Taiwan a renegade province, and what better way to fix that issue than a “reunion” party. President for life Xi would garner total support from his PLA for such a move and given the chaos of the rest of the world, he would likely get away with it easily.

How many iPhones will Apple ship if they have no CPUs or access to manufacturing in the PRC? Didn’t the CEO of Huawei call his company the “Apple of China”?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Hopefully this sends a strong message to phone manufacturers.

The growth period is long over, especially with a recession looming over us.

Stop releasing multiple phones a year. No one is gonna buy them. The whole industry needs to slow down and adapt their supply to the global demand. At this point I even question if we need a new phone every year..

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hopefully this sends a strong message to phone manufacturers.

The growth period is long over, especially with a recession looming over us.

Stop releasing multiple phones a year. No one is gonna buy them. The whole industry needs to slow down and adapt their supply to the global demand. At this point I even question if we need a new phone every year..
My guess is Apple(BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc) aren’t changing their business models. They’ll diversify their lines. If one wants a cheap phone, get an A50.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I would be willing to upgrade my XS for an 11 pro... if there was a decent price drop. Supply and demand and all.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
It's hard to expect people to purchase electronics when they are out of work.

Was the toilet paper new, refurbished, or used :) ?
Used, but well taken care of.
[automerge]1584870125[/automerge]
When you get down to the brown paper towels in the public bathrooms, you have my sympathy.
When you get down to newspaper, you will get mine.
[automerge]1584870275[/automerge]
Ironically, I have to put together a workstation to work from home but sourcing parts has become difficult. My shipments from Amazon are just sitting in the warehouse with nobody moving them along. 1-day shipping has turned into 1-week shipping.
Use your iPad. It’s a computer, right?
[automerge]1584870463[/automerge]
I did understand your post, and I was simply pointing out that while you may need to prioritize purchases, others don’t. People have a way of projecting their circumstances and those of their immediate circle on to the larger population. It’s important to keep that in mind.
What you don’t realize is that Apple relies on the masses to buy its iPhones and not on a few percent whose finances will not be affected by this crisis.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.