Glossy or Matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ishopukisfake, Aug 14, 2008.

?

Glossy or Matte

1. Glossy

56 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Matte

126 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Saw a few threads on this, but thought a poll would be interesting to gather the info clearly and get a better overall picture of the favoured preference

2. joequincy macrumors newbie

I prefer to have my color be consistent.

---Edit: and I like to be glare-free. I don't particularly feel like looking at the couch/cubicle/wall/counter/boogieman over my shoulder when I'm working/gaming/wasting time on the internet.

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I don't do any photo/video work and I like the glossy. So there! :)

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

a little up to this poll so that more people give their preferences ;)

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Ignorance is bliss as I've never seen a matte screen so I've extremely happy with my glossy screen.

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

:) Then it's better that you don't see a matte ;)

7. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

I really don't care what other people prefer... I just hope we get a choice with the new MacBook.

However, I'm curious how long it will take till people start screaming at each other in this thread.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

If I should see one somewhere, I'll look the other way. :D

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

Probably a good idea.

Hope that the new MB has the display option for matte or glossy.

10. tehFish macrumors newbie

Nothing wrong with the look of the glossy..It's actually pretty good, but the sun glare kills it. Just my opinion.

11. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

it is counter intuitive to offer glossy screens on pro models.

12. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i don't like the glossy screen, just way to bright and shiny.

13. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I love my glossy MacBook screen and will def be getting glossy on my new MBP!

It def gets smudged and reflexes the stuff behind me and in the bright sunshine its hard to see but i love it :) When im in side, where i do all my work, its amazing and the colours are sooo bright!

14. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Glossy screens are awesome they make everything look so good and shiny.
    I don't care if the colours don't look right, for the vast majority of customers glossy screens are there favorite. Glossy screens rule!
    :)

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

not another glossy vs matte thread!

Well, coming from someone who's used both for extended periods of time. I say the matte gets my vote.

It's easier on the eyes, color is just perfect, and not IN YOUR FACE, and EXAGGERATED.

Matte is great if you stare at your screen for more than 10 hours a day. Overall, it just looks much more professional.

16. cooriander macrumors newbie

Well I like the look of the glossy - but it does now work well when trying to color calibrate the laptop with a Spyder :( UGH Big regret.

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Have Glossy. Wish I had Matte. Not a huge deal, but it can be annoying when using my computer in sunlight. Also, any bit of dirt shows on a glossy display.

18. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I recently went to the mac shop in town to do a glossy vs matte comparison and am rather confused about the general consensus online. Here are the two views as I see it (for glossy I saw an air not a pro).

1) online view
    The glossy has inaccurate colour reproduction and has high reflectivity which can be annoying. But it does look good for DVDs.

2) what I saw
    I maxed out the brightness on the pro matte and the air and brought up the same demo photo. There were very complex and subtle colour gradients in the sea and sky. The air displayed smooth and detailed colours the pro looked muddy by comparison having just one colour in a given area where there should have been many subtle changes.
    I also found the matte rather straining to look at as it seemed to be diffusing light across the screen in both directions light coming out and into the panel. This gave everything a slightly fuzzy appearance compared to the glossy or even a standard desktop lcd.
    I then did a light test by lining up both screens with the door (i.e. Sunlight) and then the strip lights. Both had no problems or reflections (at fullbrightness) although the sunlight did subtly wash out the matte screen a little. For an acid test I then got out my bike light and shone it point blank at both screens. The glossy showed a small bright pinpoint of light on the screen but the rest was uneffected. The matte diffused the light into a ball covering a quarter of the screen and the rest was significantly washed out. When putting the light close to the screen you can almost see a screen door like structure on the matte screen that covers it and diffuses the light that seems to be causing all these problems.

Questions/ points:
    1) Why do people say the matte has better colour reproduction when on all the photos I tried it could not display the subtle colour gradients in seas and skies.
    2) the matte is misleadingly named. Matte implies 'standard' like a pc LCD where as in fact it has a very distorting diffusing surface blocking the view of the screen. I found this surface to make images seen more blurred and with less colour depth than glossy or my LCD on my pc at home. It also made the screen tiring to look at.

(I am not having a go at matte as I do not own either screen. I am just asking these questions as what I saw did not tie up with the general opinion on the forum)

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I personally prefer matte, but I've used glossy for a short time (Apple sales didn't ask if I wanted glossy or matte, sold a glossy, and I didn't realized until I fired up the machine), and it's not bad. I mean sure it's got a more reflections, but colors do look nicer. Of course I have a matte now.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

I will not get a laptop with a glossy display if at all possible.

That is the main reason that I did not get an MBA.

21. redmeister macrumors 6502

like the glossy personally. but when i get old my eyes will prob wished i used matte

22. azharc macrumors member

Glossy. Reflections don't bother me (hardly notice them, some people exaggerate). Looks awesome.

Go and see both from yourself. It's personal preference.

23. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

24. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

25. McBeats macrumors 6502a

glossy, CRISPER COLOR :)

matte is for people who easily get annoyed in life.

(i never get glare, or at least i never notice it, i got these things called BLINDS for my windows :D)

edit: I believe most people who go with matte will make that decision without a/b'ing the products first. but it is still personal preference :)