Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmo modo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
I just bought a new 24 inch iMac and i was weary about the screens
cause of al the negativity i read about it here on these pages.

But it's GORGEOUS it's the best screen i have had for years.

My previous 20 inch Cinema Display doesn't even come close.
Photos look so wonderful on this screen.
And yes, i do graphic design.

So for all photographers who are in doubt if they should get one, definitely go check it out for yourself.

I LOVE the glossy screen.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Wonderful for you.

Some of us have less-than-perfect eyesight and for me, glossy screens are a deal-breaker. I cannot deal with reflections and glare no matter how insignificant it seems to others with better eyes. Back in the CRT days, any reflection or glare off the display used to give me terrible eye-strain. The switch to LCDs has been a godsend for me and it just feels like a step backward for Apple to put a sheet on glass over their usually beautiful displays. I don't get it.

I'll be looking to buy a new computer early next year. Because of my job, I need specific specs at a specific budget. The mid-range iMac would have done the trick. Right now, there isn't a Mac that fits my criteria that won't give me headaches and eyestrain. I may seriously have to entertain getting a PC all because of a friggin' piece of glass. :mad:

I'm really puzzled by Apple's idiotic move on this. At the very least, they could have made that glossy screen optional.

Cosmo modo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Haha LOL. I have less than perfect eyes ???

You make me laugh.

Wonderful for you.

Some of us have less-than-perfect eyesight and for me, glossy screens are a deal-breaker. I cannot deal with reflections and glare no matter how insignificant it seems to others with better eyes. Back in the CRT days, any reflection or glare off the display used to give me terrible eye-strain. The switch to LCDs has been a godsend for me and it just feels like a step backward for Apple to put a sheet on glass over their usually beautiful displays. I don't get it.

I'll be looking to buy a new computer early next year. Because of my job, I need specific specs at a specific budget. The mid-range iMac would have done the trick. Right now, there isn't a Mac that fits my criteria that won't give me headaches and eyestrain. I may seriously have to entertain getting a PC all because of a friggin' piece of glass. :mad:

I'm really puzzled by Apple's idiotic move on this. At the very least, they could have made that glossy screen optional.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Haha LOL. I have less than perfect eyes ???

You make me laugh.

Did you read my entire post? The only way you could think I was talking about you is if you had only read through the first sentence of my second paragraph. I was talking about me and my eyesight.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
The main reason people are bitching about the glossy screens is not that it produces glare (something I find a bit over-exagerated), or that the display isn't visually stunning (which it is). The main problem is that for professional photographers (and presumably designers) the glossy produces colors that more saturated than they really are, and this leads to problems when printing, or viewing on another screen.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I do wish they'd made it a choice. I know I should give it a chance (and I may) but I prefer matte screens to glossy. I'm glad it's a choice in the MBP and I wish it were in the MacBook. Oh well, Apple is not exactly well-known for customizability in its products...but we love them anyway :)

Cosmo modo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
One should NEVER use a screen to judge colors.
Screens are RGB and print is CMYK.

And if you design for web than it's hopeless anyway since every one has a different display and color settings anyways.

Sorry if i misunderstood your text inkswamp.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
One should NEVER use a screen to judge colors.
Screens are RGB and print is CMYK.

And if you design for web than it's hopeless anyway since every one has a different display and color settings anyways.

Sorry if i misunderstood your text inkswamp.

While that is certainly true for GD, it's a bit different when you're trying to extract shadow detail from a 16-bit scanned negative, and then attempt to do saturation compensation on that. Yes- I can read a histogram as well the next guy, but having a glossy would make my work that much more difficult.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I think they should have gone with glossy but AR (anti-reflection) coated the glass. That would cut the glare to 1/4 or less of an uncoated glass.

The old ViewSonic PM790 CRT I use has an AR coating that works great. I can tell that it is coated because shining a flashlight at the screen I see a pale blue reflection except where my kids have left fingerprints. There the reflection is bright white (because the fingerprint oil messes up the quarter-wave thick AR coating).

Without an AR coating I would have to choose a product with a matte rather than glossy screen.

Greg

i just cn't imagine the imac without a glossy display!!! it would look akward

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
My main complaint with glossy displays is that they kill the display's viewing angles. This makes watching movies, especially darker ones, very frustrating and distracting. I prefer matte screens over glossy ones because the viewing angles on matte screens are much better, and movies are much easier to watch.

This has been my experience with laptops, especially the MacBooks. I have not seen the new iMacs in person yet, and from what I hear, the viewing angle on the iMac is good despite the glossy display, so they might have improved on the technology since the first MacBooks came out at least.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I think they should have gone with glossy but AR (anti-reflection) coated the glass. That would cut the glare to 1/4 or less of an uncoated glass.
Greg

Apple tried that with the C2D revision of the MBPs, as did other laptop manufacturers. It went down like a cup of cold sick. Grainy screens, unreadable text. Whites which looked permanently grey.... Nah, glare is the lesser evil.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I like the glossy screens too. People just need something to complain about.

I can't believe the arrogance around here when someone dislikes something Apple has done.

As has been tirelessly pointed out, some of us have imperfect eyesight for which reflective display surfaces can be an issue. Maybe it doesn't bother you. Great. For me, it's an annoyance. Why be insulting about it? :mad:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like the glossy screens too. People just need something to complain about.

That is a bit true :D

I only have matte screens here, but I'd love a glossy. I do photography but my pictures don't get printed, so if my display is the only viewing platform then I don't care if saturation is off.
Hah, actually back when I had my first IBM laptop (when laptops started using good displays), I used to get thrown off by the rich colours. If I made a graphic that used brown it would come off a little more red on CRT monitors. Watching a DVD on it and the picture looked oh-so realistic with the tones so it wasn't broke or anything.

Give me glossy.

Cashmere Fedora

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
Glossy screens on monitors = good, IMO.
Glossy screens on laptops = absolutely god awful when used anywhere outside a dark room.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Glossy screens on monitors = good, IMO.
Glossy screens on laptops = absolutely god awful when used anywhere outside a dark room.
For laptops: http://www.compushade.com. It's velcro'd so you can take it off. As I didn't want to put velcro on my MBP (matte), I've added a clear speck see-thru to the equation.

Actually, it's a very good move they've made at Apple.
"You're pro? Buy the Mac Pro. Yes, I know it might be overkill, but it's your only way to get a non glossy screen"
"You want it for family? Buy an iMac, and the whole family and friends will be impressed by the bright, heart-warming inaccurate colors"

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Wonderful for you.

You could get a refurbushed last gen iMac C2D, they're still very good.

I still use a 15-21" CRT with my mini (I change monitors a lot) and I'm perfectly happy with it. I did own one LCD, but it was a matte, and I was happy with it until the backlight died.

When I go into Apple stores, I hate seeing my own reflection on the screen of the computer I'm using.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I'm not sure how an AR coating could make the screen grainy. Not I'm talking about a real AR coating (like camera lenses have) not just a rough front surface that diffuses the reflections.

Greg

Apple tried that with the C2D revision of the MBPs, as did other laptop manufacturers. It went down like a cup of cold sick. Grainy screens, unreadable text. Whites which looked permanently grey.... Nah, glare is the lesser evil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.