Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
I've actually been reading the replies on this, because I've been curious as to what people prefer.

I actually prefer the glossy. For some reason, the colors stand out so much better, the blacks are deeper, the screens are brighter, and the black glass bezel that runs to the edge of the screen looks fantastic.

The matte option is good too, I just feel like the brightness is lower, the colors look duller, and I don't like the white bezel.

It's personal preference I guess ^_^

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I have 2010 MBA 13, The screen is kind of glossy. But, I think it is not as glossy as MBP screen. I hardly notice any reflection issue on MBA. I do kind of like the screen. It's very nice.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I prefer the antiglare, the only experience i've had with the glossy is the 13 in mbp, which i assume is the same. I love the glossy colors but it just gives me a headache after a while.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'm struggling with this decision right now. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 15", but I'm also planning to get the 27" external display with it, which only comes in glossy. I could buy a Dell U2711, but its sort of nice having a monitor that integrates so well with the Macbook (Charge connector built in, no miniport adapter need, etc). I'm going to be doing a lot of photography work and using Logic, but I dont have windows behind me so hoping it wont be an issue.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Since not many external displays are glass... perhaps best to get the glossy, and use a matte monitor with it?

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
I think viewing them in store, the anti-glare has the advantage that you can see the whole screen, though there are still uneven light distribution and slight shadows that you can see that are due to diffusing the light.

That said, comparing air, mbp glossy and mbp anti-glare side by side... the air looks like it has less saturated color than the glossy, and colors of the anti-glare look slightly more washed out than the air, despite having more color for the anti-glare.... weird.

The MBP glossy does have a more vibrant/images pop when you look at it, but in the store, the lighting makes reflections cover some of the picture...

Reading text from a webpage though feels more comfortable with the glossy probably having to do with deeper blacks, and just feel more sharp. So reading multiple paragraphs, i felt I could read faster with the glossy versus having to kinda concentrate and read slightly slower on the matte.

So to me, it feels like the glossy definitely has its advantages in that reading a lot of text is good, poppy, the dropshadows in iphoto feel like they give more punch... but at the cost of some glare.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
hi guys
do you think glossy + anti glare film is better than pure matte?

I'm not sure which to get actually.
I have a matte for Santa Rosa 2007 MBP.... loved it.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Want matte + low res

Unfortunately, you can no longer get an antiglare screen unless you also get hi-res. I looked at the new MBP's in the Apple Store yesterday and much preferred the AG screen -- except that menus etc. are very small, hard to read for someone whose eyes are aging. I have a Santa Rosa MBP with a non-hi-res matte LED screen and find it superior to any of the current screens.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I would have been a staunchly anti-glossy screen, but after buying a 2010 MBP, it's not as bad as I thought. Colours are a lot richer than the previous matte screen, and easier to clean without damaging the screen.

On the flip side, the glare is even worse than I thought. Ok if you're looking at a bright image, but if the screen image is dark, you're just looking at a mirror. It's bad enough now, but in summer (more/brighter sunlight) it'll be even worse.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Probably been answered here and there.. But -

With a properly calibrated Anti Glare screen. The colours (colors) should be 100% true and accurate, yes?

??

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Colors are accurate on both, glossy will always look better you will not be able to make the colors pop and drop shadows more drop shadowy on the anti-glare like you would the glossy. The glass, though may have glare, creates the cool effect of enhancing display quality.

dnenciu

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
Colors are accurate on both, glossy will always look better you will not be able to make the colors pop and drop shadows more drop shadowy on the anti-glare like you would the glossy. The glass, though may have glare, creates the cool effect of enhancing display quality.

The glassy model crushes blacks. It does have deeper black but at the cost of shadow detail. So if you are interested in doing any low key photo work the glassy is not the best.

But don't take my word for it, look at a low key photo on both and check the shadow detail.

I love punchy colors all my TVs are at super punchy and I would live with the crushed blacks on the glassy, is just that I can't stand looking at myself in the reflection or at night seeing the light from the keys reflected on the screen.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Having that mindset and using both glassy and AG side by side... opening up iphoto and looking at both displays, the glassy display did have more punch, but at the same time... the drop shadows are MUCH more apparent and look better than the Anti-Glare display.

I wouldnt say it crushes black.. there is still a gradient where you can see shadow detail... just that the degree as to which the shadow gradient is ranged, shifts more towards the dark range.

In iphoto, the shadow detail appears to be preserved, probably because the drop shadow looks very light in the anti-glare display to begin with.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
There are currently 3 screens that Apple has on its different laptops:

1. "Glossy with glass" - this is what is on the standard MB and MBP. It is a glossy screen with glass on top. The glass is even shinier than the glossy screen underneath. Call it "uberglossy", if you will. :)

2. "Antiglare" - optional on the 15/17 inch MBP. This is actually a MATTE screen. "Antiglare" is a misnomer. Traditionally screens of this type are referred to as "matte", like glossy vs matte paint. Nowadays more and more people are calling this "antiglare".

3. "Glossy without glass". This is on the MBA. It is the same screen type as the standard MBP but does not have the glass on it. It is still glossy. Just not as much as the glass itself. It is not a matte/antiglare screen. It's not even "semi-glossy". It's a glossy screen, like you see on most other laptops nowadays, but probably higher quality than most.

Apple has created a new category of "uberglossy" because of the glass. That's because the glass is so damned shiny. But it's glass on top of glossy, not glass on top of matte. If you remove the glass on the MBP, you will not have an antiglare or matte screen underneath. You'll have the glossy screen a la MBA. In order for Apple to "customize" the antiglare screen, they remove the glass and then put a matte finish on the original glossy screen. Or they simply use a matte LCD that's been pre-made for the custom orders.

The glass helps concentrate the colors, acting almost like a lens. It also protects the screen nicely and is easier to keep clean. But... it's even more reflective than the glossy screen it covers.

The old Santa Rosa and Merom MBP models circa 2006/7 had this glossy screen without the glass, just like the current MBA. It's a nice compromise between matte and glass, but it's still glossy and still pretty reflective.

Too bad you can't get that on the current MBP. It's either glass or full-blown matte, which, due to the matte coating, does diffuse the light a bit and comes off as just a little bit duller. A bit. And it smudges easily and is harder to keep clean, like all other matte monitors out there.

It also reflects light, btw. A matte screen does not completely diffuse the light in all directions. If it did, it would obviously be unusable. Some of the light hitting the screen from external sources is still reflected back, but it's quite a bit less, which makes the difference for many users.

If you remain undecided, it's best to check them side by side.

I personally like the MBA style screen best. I don't mind a little gloss in exchange for the vibrancy and crispness it offers. But to each his/her own.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Yeah, the MBA style screen is the best...... having a MBA and thinking of getting a Pro... my MAJOR concern was the display of the MBP 15 incher to must be at least the quality of the MBA.

Having put all three types of screens side by side at the apple sotre... the display quality I felt is:

1) MBP Glossy
2) MBA
3) MBP Anti-Glare

Reasons:

The MBP Glossy definitely had better color saturation than the air and things definitely popped more than the air in iphoto.

The SemiGlossy MBA compared to the MBP Anti-glare was an interesting one as the MBP Anti-glare definitely felt it had better colors than the MBA... however it looked more unsaturated and washed out... so despite the appearance of more colors with the anti-glare MBP... the MBA semi-gloss display definitely looked better overall and drop shadows on the icons in iphoto definitely looked better.

Of course... the annoying part is that while the MBA glare wasn't anywhere near as bad as the MBP... the MBP glossy display quality would have looked better if it were not for the glare. In a "controlled environment" with minimized glare... the MBP glossy would definitely outshine the AG.

I totally love glossy and my previous PCs have been displays like the Air type glossy without the glass... if there were the option of glossy without glass... I would pick the Air's display anyday. But since we have to pick extremes.... it does get problematic in decisionmaking. Thanks Apple.

Maybe Apple is purposely made the MBA with a silver bezel, and iPhone and iPad 2 in White, just so that eventually they can release a redesign of the MBP with no black glass bezel, and be semigloss like the Air just so people would be more inclined to not be fixated on the black bezel.

Last edited:

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
This debate is as polarizing as politics! I do agree it's personal preference, and wouldn't hate either one. It was a tough decision for me, but I went glossy, as I love the deep blacks. I'm a pseudo-videophile, and spend hours with my HDTV and calibration Blu-ray getting the black levels just right. I felt the AG was a bit washed out. And from where I sit on my couch, I see no reflection, unless I tilt my screen towards a light. So I'll live with outside glare the 5% of the time I'm outside.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Very political indeed, for what its worth, I think if this were split into age groups... glossy may come out the victor as most younger people according to apple store reps have better eyes.

Regardless, all 13'' ers and those going standard res have to use glossy anyways... so should be comfortable regardless of what is picked.

Last edited:

dkmlam

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
I went to the Apple store yesterday and compared the AG and glossy screens on two 15.4" MBPs, side-by-side. The Glossy screen had deeper blacks and more vibrant colours, however, there was too much glare, even at maximum brightness inside a mall, at the apple store.

Needless to say, I decided to go with the anti-glare screen. Personally, I don't want to have to readjust my screen to minimize glare. The glare will not disappear unless you are using your laptop in a pitch-black room.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I have two MBP, one is from work and the other one my private laptop. I always order antiglare but the one from work is a glossy one. I have to say that I was totally against the glossy screen but my mind has changed and it is not that easy to decide. I was like 99% for the matte and now I am more like 60% for the matte as I have to use the glossy for work everyday.

I have to add that I am a very long time Mac user but just recently in September got a Mac at work as well.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I plan on getting a MBP soon, but since I never had one before, is the glossy screen similar to the iPhone and the iPad (I have both)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.