Glossy vs. antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greytmom, Feb 20, 2011.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yes, yes, I know there are 100 million threads on this. But none of them are special enough for this announcement: I have decided. After time at the Apple Store today, i have determined that the antiglare is the one for me. The colors are beautiful, and the silver bezel does not bother me at all. The light and reflection off of the glossy screen would just annoy me more and more over time.

I also discussed with an Apple Store employee the issue of the keys leaving an impression on the screen. He said that would be considered a fault with the machine and they would replace it, although he said he has not heard of anyone having this issue.

So, there you have it. Once the refresh hits, I will be purchasing a 15" MBP with an antiglare screen. Carry on.

2. saucy1360 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

same here. just hope the AG option isn't as expensive as it is now

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I really hope the AG option will be available on the 13 inch. More options meaning more decisions that i will try to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Er, still not seeing how this is different from the other 100 million threads on this TBH.
    Glad you`re happy tho :)

5. kolax macrumors G3

Antiglare (matte) is the way to go. If people like glossy, great. But Apple has to offer everyone both possibilities - whether it is an iMac or 27" Cinema Display.

The silver bezel is far more beautiful than the black one. It makes it look like a Mac..

6. BigWalt macrumors regular

BigWalt

I made the same choice, i can not wait for the refresh... My PC died over the holidays so i have been stuck using my little annoying Netbook... This will be my first MacBook and i can not wait. I love my iPhones and iPod's so this was a natural choice i believe.

7. davie18 macrumors regular

I'd like an anti-glare screen, but I just cant justify spending £123 to get it. Of course that means you get the hi-res screen too but they should offer an option to get it on the standard screen.

8. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

Its £41 not £123

9. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I have a first gen MBP w/ antiglare screen that gets little tiny marks on the screen from the keyboard oils. I am a very clean person and my MBP looks like new still after almost 5 years but I have had 4 LCDs and all of them have gotten little areas that are darker than others if you look at them in the right angle. For this reason I am looking forward to a glass-covered screen on my next MBP.

I had this problem even more with an iBook G4 where you can actually see the marks in the screen from the individual keys. Not a big problem in daily use, but still annoying.

Maybe they have fixed this problem though in the last 5 years. I'm not risking it though.

10. kolax macrumors G3

No longer an issue.

The keys are perfectly level with the palm rest, and on the antiglare screen, the screen is maybe a few mm's in from the bezel, so the keys will never touch. Pre-unibody MBP's, the keys weren't flush with the palm rest.

Feel free to get one with glass in front of the display and despise the glare for the rest of the time you own it.

11. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Will definitely be getting the anti-glare once the new MBPs are out.

12. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Good to hear. I'll have to think about it more then because I really do like the anti-glare screen. That being said, I do own an iPad and the glare doesn't bother me so I'm not sure it would in a laptop.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, but the iPad is a smaller device, and you can freely move it to avoid glare.

This isn't so much glossy v matte, but the fact that there is glass over the display. Glossy on its own isn't that reflective. There is glare, but compared to having glass over it, it is nothing extreme. Apple should just drop the glass, and do what they've done on the MacBook Airs.

Who knows, I'll be pretty disappointed if they keep the glass! Never understood that decision to put it on..

14. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

It's different cuz it's mine... and therefore all the more special! :D

I have a mid 2007 and that has NEVER been a problem for me... maybe I just don't have oily fingers, I don't know. But I'm not too worried. The new baby will definitely have Applecare on it, and if I don't see a problem up until the time Applecare runs out, I'm guessing I won't see one.

15. davie18 macrumors regular

I don't think you read my post properly.

The least you can pay to get an anti glare screen is £123, but like I said in my post that is also for a high-res screen too.

Yes, it does cost £41 more on top of the glossy high-res screen to get it as anti glare but if you want an anti-glare screen it still means the minimum you have to spend to get it is £123, which is outrageous really which is why I said in my post they should offer an option for it on the standard screen.

16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

When I got my 2010 MBP I stuck the Matte and Glossy MacBook Pros next to each other and I ended up going with the Glossy. The main reason was because my previous Mac was also a glossy screen, and glossy really didn't bother me that much. I think they're both good, and I hope apple gives the 13 MacBook (pro) a matte option too.

17. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've had both and hated the glossy with a passion. Glad I got rid of it a couple years ago. I hate how easily it smudges and shows every little spec of crap on it.

18. friends1stu2 macrumors newbie

I too hate the new mirror screens Apple is forcing us to use (if we want to stay within the Mac world). I have experimented with a number of possibilities including removing the front panel (which is not glass by the way, but some sort of acrylic material instead), which reduces the overall glare significantly (my guess by about 40%).

I have tried different films applied to the outside panel (terrible results with little improvement with low anti-glare films to awful red sparkles with the high anti-glare films (photodon films). I have tried applying the various films to the surface of the LCD itself. This has had better effects, and I settled on the MXH film from Photodon. This reduced glare slightly without any noticeable loss of graphic clarity. I would consider the higher rated MXT film if I had to do it over again. The red pixeling you see when film is applied to the outside panel does not exist with the MXH when applied to the LCD. I doubt even the MXT would be a problem if applied directly to the LCD itself. The film was much easier to apply than I suspected it would be and I completed the job w/o any bubbles at all.

I also had a piece of museum glass cut to size and replaced the front panel. I painted the outside edges black to cover up the hardware underneath, and are using it as I type this. From the outside it looks exactly like the original panel. The museum glass cuts down the reflection/glare by about 50% over the original Apple panel. I have contacted a fabricator to apply some metal strips on the glass to hold it tight in place and are confident it will be a very workable and attractive solution. Mind you, the film on the LCD and the museum glass in front together do not reduce reflection/glare to the level of our beloved matte screens, but it gets about half way there. I suspect it would achieve another 10% to 20% with a higher rated anti-glare film, but still not what Apple achieved with their old monitors.

Costs
    The film from Photodon (which I had custom cut, and they did a great job) was about $45 or $50. The museum glass was about $125. The custom corner grinding was $15. I simply taped the glass once it was cut and shaped and spray painted the 1" outside edges with a black paint. I am still working to get some metal strips attached to the glass so that it is held firm. Overall, I expect to have some $275 to $300 invested in my new panel. It should be indistinguishable from the original once complete.

Overall, I'd say I've got about a 50% reduction in reflectivity and a 10% matte appearance on my monitor. If I had gone with the MXT film instead of the MXH, I think my overall performance would have been closer to 60% to 65% improvement.

I am also investigating other materials for the outside panel. Museum glass is good if you don't ship or move your machine much, but it would be a real breakage hazard if you did.

You can see my work and pictures at: http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/album/A24A3933AAB4?c=pw59560&CS_003=4433951