Glues in our devices...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Newtype, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Newtype macrumors member

I just don't like glues. Something about it in our expensive devices ticks me off. It is NOT because of user-replaceability or upgradability concerns.

It's just that I used to think of my old MacBook pro (2006) and Mac Pros as a well-designed mechanical watch or high-end audio components where everything is tightly engineered and assembled. Apple devices nowadays just don't have that feel anymore. Feel more like a disposable gadget.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. I'm just reminiscing of the good old days :apple:. I'm not sure if I share this feeling with anyone out there.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Well, you aren't sharing the feeling with me. Glue doesn't bother me.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree OP. Glue is not an elegant engineering design in many cases

4. terraphantm, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

I must agree... Something that's held together with glue just screams "cheap" to me. It's something that would be required in a Chinese knock-off - not a $3000 high end machine. I would have been willing to take the .1mm hit to have a more solidly built device.

I'm sure they could've at least designed it to be held in with friction alone. I really don't see why the glue was a necessity.

All that said, I did end up buying one, and am excited about it. It's not perfect, but there's not much better out there

5. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually can't believe they used glue...

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Would you feel better if it was an industrial adhesive? Guess what. It is. Because that's what glue is known as in the manufacturing industry (actually, there are several other things it can be called, but all variations on the theme). It's used in more luxury goods than you can likely imagine, but certainly in nearly all consumer goods. And it's a good thing in many situations.

In the case of the rMBP, adhering the batteries to the case meant that they didn't have to build a plastic or metal shell for the batteries that could keep the soft cells from bumping around and getting damaged, because now they're attached directly to the most solid part of the computer. It also means that they could be significantly larger cells, because plastic and metal take up space, especially when you factor in the space needed for braces and screw mounts and other parts inside the casing for them to fit to.

Basically, if you don't want to lose a significant amount of battery life, be very glad Apple glued the batteries in place in the rMBP. Keep in mind that you already weren't supposed to replace the batteries in any Apple laptop for the past few years, so this just stops those who were doing unauthorized service in the first place.

jW

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

No, not really.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Nope:cool:

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

FWIW, glue/industrial adhesive doesn't bother me in the least :)

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Why is that? What about those four letters is so off-putting?
    :confused:

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I really don't understand this complaint. It can't be seen, it does not effect your computer at all, so why is it a problem? If there was even one negative to using glue, I could understand, but as it stands now, there are none.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's based on ignorance regarding adhesives. Adhesives and "well engineered" aren't mutually exclusive despite the assertions to the contrary above.

13. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

What if they used the word "resin" instead of "glue"? Would that satisfy you? I ask because I have no problem paying $10k for my Specialized Tarmac SL4 bicycle and the thing is made of carbon fiber - which is pretty much fabric held together with, you guessed it glue - or resin if you want to be fancy.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Better not buy a car since there are many parts glued together. Glues can be far stronger and better then mechanical fastening. Modern day life would not be possible with high tech adhesives.

If you don't like adhesives it is time to get rid of all your technology.

15. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

Glue in general is not a problem. "Glue" is used for some pretty serious engineering (aerospace and F1 for instance), and this anti-glue snobbery is incredibly misplaced.

...but using it to install a consumable (such as a battery) into an expensive notebook is a very poor move by Apple. There are other alternatives that would have taken-up little more space (if any at all); it's clear that Apple had an ulterior motive for this move.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So I'm curious what all the sideline engineers would consider a "better" alternative to the glue in there. And they're not using this if that's what you're worried about...

[​IMG]

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I don't really understand this complaint (besides people just needing to find something to complain about). If you have ever disassembled a mac product you will see that all the workmanship is TOP NOTCH. Yes there is glue to adhere the batteries to the case...but look at said glue. It isn't all over the batteries, it is perfectly dotted in the right place. When I took apart my Mac Mini to install the SSD I was REALLY impressed at the accuracy of the welds...and the quality of the pin connectors...that in other, cheaply made computers, would have broken at the touch of them (ahem dell). Apple makes the best products on the market. Plain and simple...and the fact that they choose to use an adhesive other than metal is not a negative in any way.

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

This rMBP certainly doesn't feel to me like a "disposable gadget"...

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Asides for superficial bits (lip spoiler and trunklid badge), I cannot think of a single place in my car where glue (or industrial adhesives if you prefer) is used to hold anything. And I've taken quite a bit of it apart.

20. Aodhan macrumors regular

I don't object to glue in certain places in a computer, where it is called for. I just object to it securing the one component which will definitely need to be replaced at some time in the ordinary lifetime of the computer.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

your windows first of all. I have watched videos of robots applying adhesives in the car assembly lines. Tires have adhesive too. sound deadening will have adhesives attaching them. many many places have adhesives. this will get you started.
    http://www.koe-chemie.com/doc/a5.pdf

22. gokart mozart, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Glue is efficient. It reduces bulk and weight. Engineering is about finding a dependable, efficient solution to a problem. Glue gets that done in many situations, and it is used in everything from your Ray-bans to a BMW.

It is if the end result is a computer as powerful and as skinny as the rMBP. It's not like they're using Elmer's or Crazy Glue that you find in the super market.

Now, this is a legitimate complaint.

The interior has loads of glue. Trim, audio components, wiring is often held down with it by some brands, the dashboard, windows, tires... anything where a bolt or screw simply wouldn't be as efficient (components) or aesthetically pleasing (as in the case of the trim).

23. MacBird macrumors 6502

I am not familiar with the kind of glue used in the rMBP but read somewhere that it takes chemicals that are quite toxic to remove the batteries. If the batteries need to be replaced, do they need to replace the entire case or "just" the trackpad? Either way, environmentally speaking, this seems to be a very inelegant/un-Apple-like design.

24. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So you think that the old multi-panel-construction Macbook Pros feel better designed and sturdier than the unibody aluminum models? :confused:

25. MacBird macrumors 6502

How is this related to glueing batteries?