All iPads Gluttonous post; iPad Air and iPad rMini; how do you use both?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duffer6, Dec 27, 2013.

1. duffer6, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

duffer6 macrumors 6502

I am the proud owner of a Ipad air and Ipad rMini. Trying to let one go but can't seem to do it. For those that have both how do you justify it. I understand and appreciate that having both is a privilege and viewed as gluttonous by some. I truly appreciate your input and perspective pro or con.

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Do you have the money?

Do you enjoy having both?

Boom. Done and done. Same way I justified buying an MBPr.

3. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to be arrogant but yes money is not the concern. I am enjoying both and curious if others feel a need and find uses for both.

4. Jasonkrick macrumors member

I have 5 iPads.

I use the Air during the day and the rMini at night in bed.

5. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Have them both plus rMBP, don't need them but enjoy having them. Could live with out the Air but I have enough use for it to justify keeping it.

Do what you want.

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I could totally see this. It's making my decision between the mini and the air tricky (if I end up upgrading from my 3rd gen at all). I'm a bed-user, and admit that sometimes the pad is tricky.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As long as what you want to do isn't illegal, doesn't infringe on another person's constitutional rights, and doesn't go against your personal moral code, it shouldn't matter what other people think of you having more than one iPad. And in my opinion, you shouldn't be concerned over the possibility of being offensive to others, just because you have worked hard for what you have acquired.

8. Jasonkrick macrumors member

Oh, I forgot about my rMBP as well. #

I very rarely use it now and just serves as a charging plug for one of my iPads.

9. rajpatel macrumors regular

Personally I find it foolish and a misdirection of energy to have both. To me, the basic issue is that it is a screen and watching others live life, in most or all instances. I say this as someone guilty of tv, video game, Internet addiction in the past. There's something vaguely creepy and dystopian, if that is the right word and it probably isn't, about so much electronics competing for people's time and attention. It's not a question of can you afford both. We re talkin bout nine hundred bucks. It's not an s class mercedes. It's roughly the cost of a nice 46 inch tv plus a ps4. A lot of people have that. The question is, do you want that and what's the point. The mini and air are similar in some ways and different in key ways. I just spent a month using my new retina mini and 4 side by side and ultimately concluded to use both a lot is to be spending too much time around electronics and to have both is redundant and unnecessary

10. Jasonkrick macrumors member

Everybody's life is different. Some are more unlocked in electronics whiles others prefer to go hunting. Both are good and correct if it doesn't hurt another.

Like I said. I use my Air during the day as it is a part of my job.

And then I wind down for the day in bed on my rMini. I don't watch tv nor do I pop up a newspaper. Both activities are socially separating to a certain degree. As is surfing the net solo. A lot of the times, I invoke my girlfriend in the discussions I have here as well as many other things.

The use of 'electronics', like any thing dan be isolating or engaging. It all depends in how one decides to use it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's your decision, the OP wasn't looking for judgement on why he has two. If he as the resources to buy two there's nothing wrong with owning two.

12. rajpatel macrumors regular

Ok, it may be a complicated question. I don't think I'm judging. That's why I mentioned it's the same as having a nice tv and ps4.....millions have that. I hope to not judge. I'm just sayin I don't know if you will find the answer in a screen or electronics is general because that is apparently what my dumb life wuz about

----------

Jason, I think that's good you don't watch tv, but five iPads might be too much. I don't know, I love them myself, just spent a month with a Rmini and 4 and now have the Air and just sold the 4 on cl, so easy. You can also use this stuff as currency at the pawn shop. They loaned me 95 percent of what I paid for my iPhone 5 and it was really helpful in a pinch. I'm going to maybe get my tv out of pawn today, for seventy dollars. But it will just remind me I don't have a ps4 and don't see how to get one.

13. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are correct. I was merely looking to folks who did indeed have both and how do you use them in your life. I do appreciate all the replies.

14. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I prefer to use the mini for reading eBooks and the air for surfing the web and watching movies. My wife and I share both, so sometimes when she uses one, I use the other.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Everyone has their own priorities and mine are for me. I try not to impose my priorities on others or judge them on their priorities.

My thought is that the OP is obviously looking for some validation of owning both devices by asking others that have both how they use theirs. My opinion is that if it's the right thing for him, then so be it and enjoy. Who cares how others use theirs? The OP must have already found separate and unique uses as he feels inclined to keep both.

For me, I actually thought about getting a mini in addition to the Air but couldn't justify it in my head. I really like my iPad Air and when not at work, spend a great deal of time on it. I thought about the mini just for an in between item but after about five minutes of pros and cons, it just didn't make sense for me. It really didn't add anything that I couldn't be just as happy either using my Air or iPhone. Now a Paper White reader might fill a niche that neither iPads are good at - reading out in the sun.....

So at least for the time being, for me, I can't justify having both iPads.

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have them as I like new toys, thats about all the justification I need. Same as when I spend £20K plus on a watch. I like them so I buy them. However a car, I have to justify in my head as it depreciates so much.

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have both. I use the Air at home and prefer the larger screen in general. The rMini fits easily in my purse and doesn't add much weight so I take it everywhere with me. It's nice to have both sizes and they both get used.

18. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you and the group for the replies. How do others who have both use them?

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It feels like a pretty simple answer; the Mini is easier to take places. Its your out and about device, there is your justification. But a grander question is why you feel the need to justify having both devices?

20. rojct20 macrumors member

Keep both!

My ipad air replaces the lap top & desk top. Mini for convinience & does almost everything the Air does.

21. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Because he feels that having both is redundant, but doesn't have willpower to part with one of them, so he wants people around the globe to spend their time to sweettalk him to convince that he needs both while he lazily reads the replies lying in bed.

For me, having multiple devices which are essentially the same thing, just slightly different in size, is a nightmare: they all need to be maintained, managed in iTunes, icons organized in folders, apps and content to be kept track of what is where, documents synced across (iCloud can be unreliable and slow; Dropbox support is not in all apps), etc etc. It's a waste.

22. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. Your reply is not only harsh but hateful. No need to reply to a thread you found to not agree with you. Your distain is noted.

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have both and use both on a daily basis. The Mini is the one which goes with me when I leave the house; it fits very nicely into purses or bags. The iPad Air is the one which goes out on the deck with me in warmer weather. When the Mini is on the charger, the iPad Air goes out-and-about with me. I am appreciating its lighter weight and smaller dimensions -- it's wonderful to carry around, unlike the earlier, heavier iPads.

I use the Mini for catching up with forums, reading the news, checking the weather, playing Solitaire or some other game occasionally, and of course for email. Occasionally I will read a book on it, too. Sometimes I watch an episode of a TV show on it but usually I do that on the iPad Air. The Air is my go-to iPad for watching movies, videos and TV shows, and of course does all of the other things as well. I have both set up pretty much identically, which makes it easy to pick up one or the other and be able to do the same things on either.

Not for a moment do I regret having purchased both!

24. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed and productive reply. Very helpful.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree. I was asking honestly because if you can afford them and want them both that's allt he justification you need.