GM not ready for release

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DiscardedPacket, Oct 10, 2013.

1. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

Way, way too many bugs.

To start with, lets get in scrolling fixed please.

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I think Mavericks was relatively bug-free through the latest Developer Previews and the GM seems perfect. I've heard about the Safari issues, but that could be fixed in 10.9.1. Not ideal, but I think the GM is pretty solid. I haven't encountered any problems with Safari in the GM.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree. I've encountered a lot of bugs. Looks like both iOS and OS X this year will be half assed. Lovely.

Bash me all you want but even with a clean install OS X 10.9 gm is garbage.

4. Bear macrumors G3

That's why some of us won't be bothering with Mavericks until 10.9.1 or 10.9.2.

5. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

When is iOS and OS X not half assed?

It's all been a gigantic cluster**** of half-assed attempts ever since they switched to this "yearly release" garbage. Software should ship when it is done, and not before. You pick out all the features you want, you get them done, you test the hell out of them, and then you ship. Anything else is just management ********.

What really bakes my noodles are the users who are basically responsible for the yearly releases- those users who believe their hardware slowly becomes useless because the software is somehow "stale" (read: refined and reliable), and that they won't be able to get anything done unless they're sitting on the bleeding edge of a new release with new features that nobody wants or needs.

-SC

6. Mrlal8 macrumors member

I think its been great so far. Went from mountain lion to the GM on a late 2011 macbook pro. No problems

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

There are a lot of general statements here and no specifics.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've been plagued with scrolling issues in both chrome and safari.

Restarts fix sometimes, but they return eventually. 3 reinstalls didn't help

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

+1

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Ejecting FireWire drives no longer spin down the hard drives... occurs in GM and the build before... This is specific enough... :D

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Software is never finished. There will always be bugs, and you always have to ship with bugs.
    A decision has to be made: What percentage of users get this bug? How long will it take to isolate and fix?
    The more difficult the bug to fix and the fewer people it affects means: ship now.

It's a pragmatic decision.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1622634

Apparently Apple themselves acknowledged that scrolling would be affected in one DP release.

You would think it would be fixed by GM by now. I hope this isn't what is shipping on new computers. This is a MAJOR bug.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a feeling this may be the first time I can recall a GM will not be the same as the release version.

14. TrashCanBin macrumors regular

Lets not get into philopsical seas. There is a difference when you have a 2 year developement cycle and 14 months cycle.

15. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Same here. Have been running the GM for a few days now, have not had any major issues on my main machines.

16. Northgrove macrumors 65816

My scrolling works on my MBPr and I've used it for 6-7 hours at a time for a week. How strange.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the GM sitting on a USB stick ready to go. One thing is for sure...It's not going on either my Imac, or the Mac Pro ( although we have a scratch drive that is running it ) until it's solid.

I have a little space on my rMBP so that's where I will install first. Not taking chances and there is a lot in IOS7 that leaves a lot to be desired as well. It's all right overall, but some of the colour choices and KB / email client layouts are not that great.

18. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'd disagree.

Running on a 2011 iMac and 2013 MBA and whilst there are a few small issues I've come across, none of them are leaving me with less functionality than I had in ML.

Appreciate everyone uses are different, but I don't see any major changes required before release, and the usual 10.9.1 update within a few weeks afterward.

I love the noodle quote though :D What really bakes my noodles is people saying the world is going to end on internet forums, when in reality it's just started to rain a little :rolleyes: That said, I tend to agree that adopting a yearly update cycle is completely unnessesary.

19. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Nonsense. That you have such problems doesn't mean they are widespread. Scrolling and everything else work perfectly for me on an unsupported machine (Mac Pro 1,1), except for one bug I've encountered: Safari tabs other than the one you are dragging disappear until you drop it again, but that will probably be ironed out when 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 are released.

20. kheowkul macrumors newbie

kheowkul

After updating from 10.8.5 on my 2011 MBP, Mavericks GM felt very laggy, especially vertical scrolling in Chrome and Safari. Also had a few sudden reboots.

Did a SMC and PRAM reset and everything feel much snappier and stable now, maybe worth a try for whoever experience unexpected and laggy performance.

21. bwat47 macrumors regular

scrolling works flawlessly here with my MBA 2013, and I have't run into any major issues, seems very stable and works well.

22. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Couldn't agree more.

23. stooovie macrumors 6502a

There's no point in discussing smoothness of GUI. Some people can't discern. They just don't see. Also, there's no baseline - what's fine for user A is unacceptable for user B.

24. bwat47 macrumors regular

Going from 10.8 to 10.9 the scrolling is quite noticeable smoother for me, absolutely butter smooth. I'd definitely notice laggy scrolling if I was getting it. In fact 10.9's scrolling is the smoothest I've ever seen in a desktop OS.

The users experiencing scrolling issues are experiencing some kind of abnormal behavior, perhaps its a bug effecting certain hardware? No one thats experiencing scrolling issues has really described the problem or what hardware they have.

25. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

This is still an issue for me. Maybe it's a Sandy Bridge thing on my Early 2011 MBP.