Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
how is this going to work? will messages be instantly pushed? will the app need to be downloaded and it checks every few minutes?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You must be new to iPhone :)

You use the stock mail app and you have the option of having it pushed or you can manually fetch it.

IcyStorm

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
What do you mean? There will be no difference in how it is now and with the 4S. There is also no native Gmail app in the App Store.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
how is this going to work? will messages be instantly pushed? will the app need to be downloaded and it checks every few minutes?
I take it you're coming from an Android device. The iPhone mail app is excellent. Better in some ways than the mail apps on Android. All you have to do is add your Gmail email address and set up how you want be notified. You know how on Android you can "pull" down the notification bar when on the home screen? Well in iOS5 it's like that only better. I've been using it for a few months and it's really nice.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I take it you're coming from an Android device. The iPhone mail app is excellent. Better in some ways than the mail apps on Android. All you have to do is add your Gmail email address and set up how you want be notified. You know how on Android you can "pull" down the notification bar when on the home screen? Well in iOS5 it's like that only better. I've been using it for a few months and it's really nice.

The mail.app is indeed much better but my temp android (POS Backflip) get's emails INSTANTLY, quicker than my Mac and my iPhone did, I never understood why.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
The mail.app is indeed much better but my temp android (POS Backflip) get's emails INSTANTLY, quicker than my Mac and my iPhone did, I never understood why.
See? Everyones experience can be different. I find that I get email faster on my Macbook and iPad than on my EVO. Sometimes it is the other way around but in either case it's just a minute or two so in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

But in terms of your Mac, it has a different connection to the web so the problem can be with your ISP.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
With push turned on I get mail on my Mac and iPhone within a second or two at most of each other. Often they both make the incoming mail sound simultaneously.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
See? Everyones experience can be different. I find that I get email faster on my Macbook and iPad than on my EVO. Sometimes it is the other way around but in either case it's just a minute or two so in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

But in terms of your Mac, it has a different connection to the web so the problem can be with your ISP.

My mail always hits my iPad faster than it does my Evo.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Unless you set up gmail as Exchange and m.gmail.com as domain name you will not have the option of push.

Last edited:

JudgeKenny

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Gmail Messages Are Not Truly Pushed, AT BEST They Are Fetched

Go into your settings and you'll see what I'm talking about. Gmail messages are fetched from the servers every 15 minutes (or longer, if you so choose) because in the advanced settings you are only given the choice of fetching messages or manually pulling them.

My AOL, Live, and Gmail accounts only fetch every 15 minutes. The only account I've seen, so far, that allows true, instant pushing of messages is MobileMe.

Attachments

• photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    129.1 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    75.9 KB · Views: 52
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 64

JudgeKenny

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Unless you set up gmail with active sync and m.gmail.com as domain name you will not have the option of push.

You can have push email with Gmail by setting it up as an Exchange account. See http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/ for more info.

Thanks! All these years (since 2008) and I never knew about this!

Ugh...and to think that I actually kept my MobileMe account so long for the SOLE PURPOSE of having true push with emails. :eek:

IcyStorm

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks! All these years (since 2008) and I never knew about this!

Ugh...and to think that I actually kept my MobileMe account so long for the SOLE PURPOSE of having true push with emails. :eek:

Haha, well it's not something strictly advertised or made well known, so it's easy to miss. I came across this a couple of years ago when I was searching for how to sync my Google Calendar calendars with my iPod touch.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Go into your settings and you'll see what I'm talking about. Gmail messages are fetched from the servers every 15 minutes (or longer, if you so choose) because in the advanced settings you are only given the choice of fetching messages or manually pulling them.

My AOL, Live, and Gmail accounts only fetch every 15 minutes. The only account I've seen, so far, that allows true, instant pushing of messages is MobileMe.
Edit: My apologies. I missed a post above.

Correct way to get push with Gmail is to set it up as google sync using Exchange. http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

Last edited:

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
WOW. This is completely and totally wrong.

You've misinterpreted those config screens. Trust me, you get gmail messages pushed to your phone. Anything hitting your gmail inbox will immediately cause a new mail sound on the phone. Anything else and you're doing it wrong.

You won't get it pushed unless you set it up as an exchange account (as said earlier). Otherwise, messages are only fetched.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Yahoo also pushes.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I have an additional question regarding Gmail Contacts and Apple products.

I currently use a personal Gmail (@gmail.com) and a work Gmail account (@company.com).

I plan on setting up the work account as an exchange to set up calendar, mail, and contacts.

I then plan on setting up the personal Gmail to pull in mail and contacts.

I am coming from Android and there was a way for me to separate my contacts depending on which account I was using. If it was a contact for work, I could file it under my gmail (@company.com) contacts. If it was personal, I could store the contacts under my personal email (@gmail.com).

Can I do this on the iPhone? I have an iPad2 set up the same way, but can't seem to find where I can add contacts to separate accounts.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I have an additional question regarding Gmail Contacts and Apple products.

I currently use a personal Gmail (@gmail.com) and a work Gmail account (@company.com).

I plan on setting up the work account as an exchange to set up calendar, mail, and contacts.

I then plan on setting up the personal Gmail to pull in mail and contacts.

I am coming from Android and there was a way for me to separate my contacts depending on which account I was using. If it was a contact for work, I could file it under my gmail (@company.com) contacts. If it was personal, I could store the contacts under my personal email (@gmail.com).

Can I do this on the iPhone? I have an iPad2 set up the same way, but can't seem to find where I can add contacts to separate accounts.

I don't believe there is a way to separate contacts based on source.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I don't believe there is a way to separate contacts based on source.

:''(

Maybe there is a work around.. go into settings and switch the default accounts depending on which contact I am adding?

That's going to be a major downfall if I can't do it.

French

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
The other advantage of setting up as exchange is syncing of contacts. I love that feature.

Unfortunately if you use exchange as the set up you do not get notes sync. I never used them before but with iOS 5 and Siri I thought I might start. Hopefully they sync via the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.