Gmail app or built in app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by eclipse01, Jul 25, 2013.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Do people prefer the built in email app or the gmail app from the store?

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I use my me.com account for email so obviously the built-in one. Back when I still used Gmail (before they removed push support) I still preferred the built-in app because I think it's cleaner and I would rather have the app that's supported throughout the OS. The Gmail app has gotten a lot better over time, but it's still not quite what I'm looking for in an email app.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I guess that is why i'm asking this, I used the gmail app once before and it was horrible compared to the built in app.

But I really like it on my Nexus 7 so guess I just wanted opinions

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It's still really nothing like the native Android Gmail app, from what I remember. I liked that app too, but the iOS version isn't nearly as tightly integrated (since Apple won't allow it) and is more like a web app than actual downloaded application like the Android version.

5. dkl macrumors member

I used the gmail app while I was on the Android platform. Now that I'ce switched to the iPhone5, I still continue to use the gmail app. It's cleaner and easier to setup. You see, My gmail account links with at least 5 other email accounts. Using the gmail app, I dont have to re-setup all the accounts, and still have them consolidated in one gmail account.

Of course, YMMV.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Both.

Built in email app for reading/composing.

GMail app setup for push notification, sound only, no badges so I know when emails are in.

GMail app for searching old emails.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I believe the gmail app only works with a Gmail account.
    Why would i use a Gmail account? I like my privacy.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've never felt a need to try the gmail app, the built in one works just fine for me.

9. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

not sure what you are getting at but i'm guessing it is some crack at google on spying on everyone?

anyone the question goes out to the ppl that use Gmail accounts and what method they prefer for mail on their IOS device.

10. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I use the built-in mail app to fetch gmail and email from my other email account. I tried the google app and it just seemed to add a bunch of features I don't need.

11. Holte139 macrumors regular

The Gmail app. I use my Gmail address the most as it's what I use when I register on websites and forums etc. It seemed easier to use the Gmail app rather than edit every single account I have on the web just so I could use Apple's native app!

12. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

The Gmail app seems to better support labels and other gmail features (especially now that they have the new tabbed gmail inbox feature).

I use the Gmail app for my personal email account and the built-in app for my work email. I was using the built-in app for both but I like having two apps because I can look at the icon badges and know whether its a work or personal email.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I used the built in mail app for my gmail account.

14. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have been using the built in app because I have an Exchange account as well. I did download the gmail app and set it up because I had an issue a few weeks ago where some of my sent email vanished when I tried to send it and my iPad gave me an imap error however, I still keep going into the built in app.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on who you ask. Some prefer one. Some prefer the other. Polling won't tell you what you prefer (on any topic). Try both.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Native. But I keep gmail around to access my gmail contacts and attach pictures when replying.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use both. I use the Gmail app for my Gmail and the Mail.app for my .mac account. I like both.

18. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Built in app

I reluctantly gave up push mail as I knew I would have new devices in the future.

Also I can't stand that silly multicoloured circle flipping over each time I get an alert. It's slow to load emails and the text wrapping sucks.

I like the build in app for speed, clean usage and content viewing.

I also ditched the hybrid use where you just use gmail for notifications. I like to click banners and go straight to the inbox

I keep gmail app as its search is far superior to the built in app

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're right about the Gmail app being slower to load and the text wrapping. The slowness, compared to the native Mail.app is what I don't like the most about it. I wish they'd find a way to speed that up.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Gmail app is better to use IMO.

Supports all the special Gmail features.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

No offline access to mail though.

22. luravua, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

luravua macrumors newbie

I dont have to re-setup all the accounts, and still have them consolidated in one gmail account.it looked like something out of a movie.[​IMG]

23. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I use the built-in app as primary. Only when I need to search a really old email, I will switch to the gmail app.

24. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Before google dropped activesync, built-in was a no-brainer.

Now,
    It's faster and easier to read emails on the built-in (for some reasons, gmail app displays some emails with extremely small font), but gmail app has the push notification. I would be happy to pay a fee just for exchange support, but as far as I know, there isn't anything like that available on gmail.

I hate when google kills nice features/products like that. Google reader, gmail exchange and etc, the list goes on. Google+ is a big fail, yet they are not shutting that down.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can pay a fee.

Get a custom domain from godaddy: 10/yr
    Get a business google acct $50/user/yr
    Profit!