Gmail:Apple Mail-Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluefiberoptics, Oct 6, 2007.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I was just wondering if the members of this forum use Apple Mail to manager their Gmail accounts. I would like to use it in the future when I switch to a Mac for my main machine, but one thing bothers me.

My only complaint deals with Gmail's way of handling POP accounts. Anytime I send an e-mail to myself, it will not show up in my POP E-mail application, but it will show up on Gmail's web based system. Any ideas?

2. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I use mail app for my gmail accounts, almost exclusively (99.9%). Don't know about your email issue, I always get my email, with no issues. Maybe someone can answer that for you.

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Yes, I use it, 99% of the time.
    Unless I'm away, all my mail is in Apple Mail. ;)

As for your problem, maybe try Mailplane. I haven't tried it yet, as I don't need to.

4. lanray macrumors regular

use it a lot

It's one of my main accounts. Works most all the time, though sometimes gmail is slow or won't allow me to logon.

I actually had to set up a rule at gmail telling it to trash emails that I sent that ended up in my mailbox - I didn't like them in my mail ap mailbox. So, I'm surprised to hear that you don't get them.

5. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I use mail and it works like a charm.

I've had a few issues here and there, but nothing consistant and therefore nothing too bothersome.

6. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Let me clarify the problem.

I can send an e-mail on the Gmail site to myself and receive no problem.

However, I cannot send an e-mail to myself from an E-mail program and receive it.
    (But the GMail site sees it)

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

It might be in the sent folder.

8. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have always used Gmail but not with any mail program, just yesterday i downloaded Thunderbird and i can saftly say it much better then mail. To set it up all i had to do is type my email address and password, it did everything else.

Regarding your problem, so you are trying to send an email from your mail program to yourself (same email as sender) but its not showing up. Humm thats strange i have never faced that problem, that might be the programs fault. Try Thunderbird and see if it makes a difference.

http://en.www.mozilla.com/en/thunderbird/

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I use Mail.app with 4 of my Gmail accounts...and it works like a charm. Love it.

10. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Yeah, mine works the same way. But for my purposes it's fine since if I email myself it's to back up a document and I don't need to see it in Mail anyway.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

mail is one of my most used apps. it manages my hotmail, gmail and uni. account... i love it

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yup, I use my Gmail account with Apple Mail and it works great :)

13. hopejr macrumors 6502

To the OP: The Gmail POP implementation is not a usual one (it's still within spec, but does a few things differently from the norm). I've come across this issue that you've mentioned, and it's simply just part of Gmail's POP.

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The only complaint I have is when I'm not using mail.app (like when I'm @ school) and all of my messages are marked unread and I need to go through and mark them as read. This isn't such a long process but its annoying because sometimes you don't notice which messages you've read and which ones you haven't.

15. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i used to useit, but one time, i needed to send a important email and i did it with apple mail but after 2 days i came out that it wasn't sent, so that wasn't pleasant, but after reading this thread i'm back into using my mail.app

16. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I use the mail app with my gmail, university, and domain emails. Works like a charm. I'd never go back.

17. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Is there a way to fix this problem?

18. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Well I think it isn't a bad idea when they implement IMAP support, so you can access gmail via Mail.app on more than 1 computer, without losing mail -> thats the problem with POP.

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, in gmail's preferences, set it so that when a message is accesses via POP, it is marked as read and archived.

20. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I'm using Mail all the time for my GMail account. Works great. Only on some rare occasions the SMTP server doesn't seem to work, then I use the one provided by my ISP.

21. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

You are absolutely right. I can't wait for the ToDo List coming in Leopard's Mail.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So far Google seems to be pointedly ignoring requests to implement IMAP... however, there is this:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47948

I use Google on multiple devices without any problems....

23. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i now use it again, after reading this thread

24. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

25. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv