Gmail for iOS Updated With Quick Actions, Share Sheet and Attachment Viewer

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google on Thursday updated Gmail for iOS with a trio of notable new features: quick actions, the ability to email files from other apps and a new attachment viewer. Gmail users on iPhone and iPad can now attach photos and documents to Gmail from other apps such as Instagram using the updated in-app share sheet, and open attachments from Gmail into any app.

[​IMG]
    Taking advantage of Apple's addition of interactive notifications in iOS 8, quick actions enable Gmail users to archive or reply to emails directly from a notification without leaving the app. The functionality also works for notifications in Notification Center and on the Lock screen. The latest release of Gmail for iOS pushes the app to version 4.0 on the App Store.
    Gmail for iOS [Direct Link] is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated With Quick Actions, Share Sheet and Attachment Viewer

2. gmintz09, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

gmintz09 macrumors member

Nice update, but why archive and not delete? I never have understood archive as an action in email. It doesn't get rid of it, it throws it to my "All Mail" section but still stays in my inbox. I would have preferred "Reply" and "Delete" as options.

Furthermore, these actions really don't work on the lock screen if you have a passcode/TouchID...I have to unlock my phone to complete the action. I also still have to leave the app I'm in to reply to an email. Not sure why it says I can do it right from the notification. Disappointing.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If only they would allow for a few more (basic) settings in the app, or at least follow the ones set online--for example, being able to disable conversation/thread view, or at least follow the selected setting set online.

4. thisrocks macrumors regular

thisrocks

*Patiently awaits Google Inbox updates*

For anyone that hasn't given it a shot, I strongly recommend that you do. I stopped using Gmail almost as soon as my invitation was accepted. The workflow matches mine perfectly, but of course, that doesn't mean it's for everyone!

5. technosix macrumors 6502a

I've been using all the Google iOS apps. They enhance the iPhone experience a lot. Very enjoyable.

Perhaps best of all is how rapidly Google Innovates without fear. They just do it and do it well.

6. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I recently switched from using the Gmail app to accessing Gmail via the Outlook app. I love it -- you can do almost everything that you can do via the Gmail app (except for "Labeling" messages while leaving them in the Inbox), plus a lot more... without the hassles and annoyances of the Gmail app (poor design, notifications that don't clear when you view the message in the app, account sign-in issues, etc.).

7. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

And still cannot attach files from other apps, outside of Google drive:rolleyes:
    Great update

8. gmintz09 macrumors member

Nor can you reply or archive messages within the notifications. It still has to open up the app.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You never know when you need an old email. Archive is easier than filtering.

10. gmintz09 macrumors member

That's true...but for any email I get, I can easily label it and put it in a folder to save for later. I'd rather just be able to get rid of the email if I don't care about it. Archiving just leaves it there for me to have to sort out later anyways. To each their own I guess.

11. artuuur macrumors member

And it's taking them forever to introduce share sheets in Hangouts :mad:

12. Statusnone88 macrumors 68000

Statusnone88

This. I absolutely love the Outlook App for iOS. It handles my Gmail mail perfectly.

13. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Can you use multiple Gmail accounts?

14. eprisencc macrumors member

You should be able to reply from Notification Center. Currently, it opens the app to reply.

15. coolfactor macrumors 601

With Gmail, you are the product. Google wants you to retain as much email as possible so that they can profile you for adverting campaigns. Regarding "All Mail" messages staying in your inbox, you just need to adjust some settings. Archived messages don't stay in your Inbox when configured properly.

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

Yup. Multiple email accounts of any kind actually. I've been using it since it effectively works as push gmail and you can set the notification action to archive or delete.

17. mungo2k macrumors member

No, it doesn't. Archive specifically removes the Inbox label. All your mail is always in "All Mail", whether it has the Inbox label or not, hence the name.

18. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That simply isn't true. Deleting email will not have any affect on advertising campaigns shown to you. Google uses an automated process to scan emails when they arrive. Once you delete the email, nothing will change. So there is no incentive for Google to want you to archive the email. To be fair, Apple scans emails (incoming and outgoing) as well. They just choose to not retain the data for advertising purposes.

19. blairh, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Okay thanks. I'll try it. Gmail app is fine but much room for improvement.

Edit: I bailed. I don't like the fonts.

20. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

NSA: Because we need to search all your messages.

21. kingdomkids macrumors newbie

i use Mailbox on iOS and you can swipe even with passcode and fingerprint on an iPhone.

In fact more and more apps can be swiped these days on the locked screen with passcode. In fact the new Inbox by Gmail has the swiping options.

I agree that not having "Delete" is really a deal breaker when it comes to swiping on the locked screen. NONE of the other options are good enough when it comes to something I just don't want ever again. One of the best things about Mailbox is that there is a "Trash" button/swipe that deletes the email.

22. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

They really should support AirPrint. Seems like Google Print is the only way.

23. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I can get the attach/share to work fine, but I do not get the reply/archive options. I'm on 8.3 beta. Anyone else not get the options? Or is there something else I need to configure?

24. Sleaka J macrumors regular

Sleaka J

Ditched the Gmail app for the Outlook app about a month ago. Used both Gmail and Outlook accounts in it, but found a better solution.

I now forward all my Gmail to Outlook.

Much simpler.

The Outlook app is much better than the Gmail app.

25. l00pback macrumors regular

l00pback

I'm not opining on whether or not this is happening. However, IF it is, "they" would have your email cataloged and indexed before it ever hit your inbox.