Gmail + iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moria, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Moria macrumors regular

As my current phone has conviently broken just in time for the new iPhone to come out I'm looking to get one on July 11th rather than when my contract is up in September (with Three, can't wait to get away from them). I'm wondering how well Gmail and other Google Apps (the calendar in particular) sync to the iPhone? Will the iPhone sync to my Gmail automatically? Is there anyway I can make it sync to the Google Calendar automatically?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Gmail works with the current iPhone. There isn't built in support for Google Calendar but it could be possible with a 3rd party app. You can also sync your Google Calendar with iCal which then syncs with the iPhone.

If you want push syncing of calendars then you need to get mobileme.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I have been using GMAIL on my iPhone since I bought it in Feb. It works Flawlessly and the setup is very easy.

5. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I'd say that GMail works brilliantly on the iPhone, I switched to GMail from Hotmail so I utilise my iPhone better.

6. sara123456 macrumors member

When you get an e-mail will the Iphone make a sound?

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, there are audible email notifications.

8. sara123456 macrumors member

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

same here, gmail works great with the iphone that, and my company's mail it's pretty much all i use now thx to my iphone..

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I switched from yahoo to gmail. Gmail is a lot better, IMO. Works flawless with the iphone!

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I have nothing but praise for gmail and the iPhone. Additionally, I've set-up my school email accounts (IMAP) with my iPhone and they are just awesome as well. I'm using berkeley.edu and sfsu.edu email at present. :cool:

12. blorenz macrumors newbie

google calendar is amazing w/the iphone. I use spanning sync to sync it w/ical.
    and if you use twitter, you can gust call twitter, say calendar, and speak your appointment w/all details in to the phone and it shows up in google calendar, then gets synced to ical, very cool.
    bl

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Does your iPhone require JB? :confused:

14. blorenz macrumors newbie

15. Cruzer442 macrumors member

Hmmm. Yeah after you open your mail client. It's not like text message notification.

16. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Maybe you have your mail set to check manually instead of every x minutes? Or perhaps you turned off the "New Mail" sound notification in the settings? It's definitely there. My phone makes a "ding" noise and vibrates when I get new mail, but it isn't very loud. It isn't the same tri-tone sound like when you get a new text message, but it definitely makes a noise.

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not true. If you have the iPhone set to automatically check your email. It will make a noise or vibrate when you get new mail. You don't need the mail app open.

18. blorenz macrumors newbie

also in google calendar, if you have a phone number in an appt, it is blue, and all you have to do to call the number is tap it, makes life a little easier. not so in iCal
    bl

19. chrisuab macrumors newbie

I have my sound settings on my iPhone to alert me for new emails, however it will not alert me for email from Gmail. It does alert me when I get my work email though via Microsoft Exchange. Why won't it alert me for Gmail? Can it not do alerts for two different email addresses?

20. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

mine alerts me audibly for both my GMail account and exchange account... not sure why yours isn't

21. chrisuab macrumors newbie

Guess I'll just patiently wait until Gmail Push comes out. :(

22. btownguy macrumors 6502

The only problems with Gmail and the iPhone are common across any IMAP solution with Gmail. How do you handle deleted items? This stems from Gmail's incomprehensible "label" system and the "all mail" mentality.

Personally, I set my Sent, Drafts, and Trash to be on the Gmail server. That means that if I delete an email on my iPhone, it goes into Trash on the Gmail server and will be permanently deleted after 30 days. This is not the way Google recommends setting your trash on the iPhone however.

23. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

And when will that be??? :)

If they can get gmail to push, and give you the ability to make the email alerts louder it would help a LOT.

24. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

I would LOVE Push GMail... my YMail workaround works pretty well, but I want the real thing!

25. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have both GMail with several accounts setup on my iPhone, but I have about 10 calendars that sync via air to my calendar on my iPhone and my computer. Thus I'm always connected and my appointments are always available. Setting up calendar was a little bit of a pain in the butt, but it does work and it works flawlessly. I highly recommend it!