Gmail no longer works with Apple Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The General, Apr 11, 2007.

1. The General macrumors 601

I have been using Apple Mail to access my Gmail account for the longest time. Now it refuses to work. :(

I don't know what I am doing wrong. :mad:

All the settings are exactly as Google shows in their tutorial:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have POP turned on from the website:
    [​IMG]

Yet, I still get the /!\ thing:
    [​IMG]

And when I click on it:
    [​IMG]

Can somebody please help me? :eek:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hi Ted, when i first set up mail it would just not work at all. Then after deleting the account and re adding about 3 times (all with the exact same settings) it finally worked. Then about a month later it stopped working. So i deleted the account and then it worked again.

Worth a try maybe?

All the settings are the same as mine and its working perfectly here.

3. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I'll try that, but I have like 2800 emails. Is there a way to archive those, so when I setup the new one, I can just stick them back in without downloading them all again?

4. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

That's just the craziest thing i ever heard :eek:
    any idea what the problem is? All i use is gmail (outside of work). When I do get my mbp, i hope i don't have the same problem.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This actually just happened to me as well - I've been using Mail.app to receive my Gmail for a while now (at least the last 8 months) and today, all of a sudden, it stopped being able to connect.

I'd rather not delete the e-mails I have to make this work, but if that's my only course of action.... :(

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I can't help with your problem really; I have the same one.

I just noticed starting today that I wasn't receiving any e-mails (I usually at least get a bot e-mail from like Game Stop or American Eagle) and that my friend's weren't getting any e-mails I sent. I sent a test e-mail to myself to find out. Sure enough, it didn't come through. I logged into GMail online, and I saw e-mails there.

7. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I think I'll just wait it out. If you guys are having the same problem, chances are it's probably just something to do with their servers, and knowing Google, it should be fixed in a matter of hours. :cool:

8. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You could make a copy of ~/Library/Mail/(Gmail or whatever you called it)

Then in mail File -Im port Mailboxes.

However i have never done what i just suggested so can't say if it works at all. Weird that it has stopped working for you all today. Maybe google are doing some maintenance or something like that. It is working perfectly over here in the UK.

10. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

maybe you're in a different time zone and the problem hasn't gotten to you yet :confused:

:p :p :p

11. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I hope that it's just some maintenance work then. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

The only quirk I have though, is that it works fine if you log into GMail online. It seems more of a Mail.app problem, but so many people are experiencing it at the same time.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I also had the same thing happen to me, but I figured out a workaround for it. I have 2 Gmail accounts I use for different reasons, but my primary one just stopped working with Apple Mail for some reason. What I did was enable forwarding and forwarded all the messages to my secondary account and set that up with Apple Mail as Google describes and it works. If you just set forwarding then it should only forward the new messages and Apple mail shouldn't download all the messages that you have with the old account that's not working anymore. You will want to keep the old nonworking account enabled though, so you still have all your old emails. Make sure that you have the old account's settings the same as in the included screen capture. (One thing is that you won't be able to check for mail manually without getting the error message from the old account.) I hope that was clear enough.

Attached Files:

13. The General thread starter macrumors 601

I just talked to my friend who uses Thunderbird and he says his doesn't work either. It must just be a server issue.

Maybe the tubes are clogged. :p

14. dkirlew macrumors member

Well I thought I was the only one with the problem not receiving Gmail from Apple Mail. Now that I see some others are having similar problems I'll quit trying to get new mail, or try and reestablish the account.

15. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You've got to love Google's ad at the bottom: :D

1.png

2.png

3.png

17. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried my workaround to see if it works for you?

19. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

20. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yep - 10:15pm here and mine still isn't working :(

21. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Mine wasn't working before, but now it does. :D I'm in Australia btw.

22. The General thread starter macrumors 601

23. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

As of 7am this morning (CST), mine was working again as well.

24. cwong5 macrumors newbie

it's been like for at least 2 weeks for me now. It's on and off. I posted a question on the gmail forum too!
    No result!
    Chester

25. shelt macrumors member

shelt

This may be of help. There is a little known issue where Gmail will lock your POP access if it detects too many incorrect logon attempts. They have an equally hard to find page which enables you to "unlock" your POP access (even though there is no notification that it IS locked!). I have had this problem on a couple of occasions. Try this:

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha