Gmail pushing in 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jun 21, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I just tested a few messages on my end here, and they all pushed immediately.

I have my Gmail accounts automatically set to fetch every 15 minutes, but these came through almost instantly.. hmm...

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

just checked and its not for me =/. I really wish it would though...

3. uneek1 macrumors regular

Mine isn't pushing either, I also have it setup to fetch every 15 mins..

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Sometimes I almost think my emails are pushing as well. I did try that IMAP idle trick that someone else posted a while back, so maybe it's just working on again off again. I really wish Google would just step up and enable the service for the iPhone, though.

5. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

6. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

Nope, not for me.

However, I have gotten gmail right after rebooting. Mine appears to check for gmail right after rebooting, even though I have fetch set to "Manually" (with push enabled). The first couple of times this happened, I though gmail push was working, but it wasn't (I tested it).

8. michael31986 macrumors 68030

never understood why yahoo is only one that does this

9. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

To be fair Yahoo does not offer a conventional IMAP option for desktop clients. That being said, Google is pretty much the driving force in the tech world these days, so I don't understand why they can't or refuse to assist in the implementation of some sort of push or push-like solution for the iPhone.

11. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

You think Google can/would release a Gmail app for the iPhone and use push notifications? I wouldn't mind that :)

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

Google has this new product called "Android", and so they have no driving reason to come out with gmail push. :D That said, google already has push calendars and push contacts on the iPhone via an exchange service, and so there is hope that it will occur someday.

(But gmail with a secondary push account is soooo much more useful than gmail push. Unless you get little mail, there's not much reason to have a battery-draining gmail push.)

13. Stiss macrumors 6502a

My Googlemail pushes.

There was another thread on this with hundreds of comments and maybe even a way to make your mail push.

Search for it.

14. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Workin for me. I've got my phone set to push every hour, but seem to get my mail the moment they are sent. I've sent a few test emails and the just shoot right on down to my phone almost instantly.

15. jaycebeasley macrumors newbie

jaycebeasley

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Not necessarily. Google wants to be ubiquitous, thus it has incentive to provide features across the range of platforms, including some form of push for Gmail on all devices.

17. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

No push here. Just wish they'd pull their finger out and implement it.

18. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

With the first iPhone Yahoo was the only option for Push Email. And they did nothing with the lead. They could have added OTA Push/Sync of Contacts and Calendar and then added support for the desktop all before the 3G came out. By this time they could be far ahead of the competition. But at this point they have not made any changes since day 1. This kind of managment is what has held Yahoo back IMHO.....

19. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

20. shk718 macrumors 6502a

waiting for google push also. have you guys been using their exchange calendar and contacts - i'm finding it rock solid. i was hoping they were using those two features as a test case and will role out email once they feel they have it nailed.

they just released a program to allow businesses to transfer their corporate exchange email to google (offered at a fraction of the price Microsoft charges for exchange server) - so they obviously have it and are aggressively going after the corporate market. Once I heard that I wondered if the consumer market would be a loss leader to help capture a paying business market.

21. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Tried the gmail -> yahoo account forward trick - no push for yahoo either. I don't get any yahoo messages unless I have the account open.
    I received gmail faster prior to trying yahoo - ridiculous.

Plus I can't change the yahoo acct to use the gmail smtp, switches aren't grayed out, but the change has no effect.

22. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Doesn't push for me and, honestly, I could care less if it ever does. I don't get any email sent to my Gmail account that I can't wait at least a couple of minutes for.

23. TLewis macrumors 65816

Did you test yahoo push at least a couple of hours after you set it up? It might have been a coincidence, but the couple of times that I set it up, it took an hour or two before push started working (and another person said that it didn't work for her, but it worked when she tried it again).

24. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I have the Gmail > Yahoo Push working fine :) well tbh.. i THINK some messages dont come through for whatever reason but most do just fine :)