Gmail Redesign for iOS Rolling Out Starting Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today announced that its mobile apps for Android and iOS are gaining a new look to bring them in line with the design changes and new features that were previously made available on the web.

With the updated version of Gmail for iOS, attachments like photos can be viewed without opening or scrolling through a conversation.

[​IMG]

There are clear alerts when an incoming email looks suspicious, and Google has made it easier to switch between personal and work accounts.

Google says the redesign that's rolling out to iOS and Android users "in the coming weeks" is part of a larger effort to make its G Suite products look and act like a family of products, all with Google's Material Theme.

Web apps like Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Docs, and Sites have already been updated with the redesign, and later this year, additional mobile apps will be revamped.

Article Link: Gmail Redesign for iOS Rolling Out Starting Today

2. cloudyo macrumors member

3. wicker21 macrumors regular

wicker21

My eyes are burning from all of the white. Please let there be a dark mode in the app at least.

4. invisibleshoes macrumors 6502

Too much white. Over did it with the minimalism.

5. shadowbird423 macrumors 6502

shadowbird423

I just want Inbox to continue existing, I don't care about Gmail anymore.

6. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

My Gmail account has been flaky lately on the native Apple mail apps for iOS and macOS. I keep getting error messages that my account is offline. I may give the Gmail app a try on iOS and see if that helps.

7. subjonas macrumors 68000

All I want is split screen support. This is all fluff in comparison.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't do business with a company where a person's personal information (and other usage) is mined and sold for company profit, no matter how nice their family of products may look.

9. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I bet it still won’t be optimized for the 11” iPad Pro.

10. qtrim macrumors 6502

qtrim

I hope is easier to search. In the web browser version, if I'm in sent mail and hit the search box it searches just the sent mailbox. But in their iOS app, I have to manually type in:sent before the search term, which is a pain.

11. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Been slowly migrating from gmail over 6 months ago. Still use it for hangouts.

12. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Inbox was slicker than baby doo doo. I liked it a lot. Baby doo doo? Not so much, but they're both pretty slick. But... Google gonna Google. Good efforts are going to be randomly killed outright or butchered and rolled into an existing effort that hasn't been killed yet. Such is life.

13. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

14. B60boy macrumors member

B60boy

Same here, are you going exclusively with Apple or what are you using?

15. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Install a Google app, you say? An email client? Really? You might as well invite strangers to conference in on your phone calls, while you're at it.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I mostly use Apple. The other few apps I use, I make sure that my personal information (credentials to use apps) stays on my side and not on their servers. For me, it has been a much better experience and peace of mind.

17. Eorlas macrumors 6502

Could we please please please blast out to all the designers in the world to cut it out with the white space thing

18. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

I feel ya, but it's going away soon so looks like we'll have to move on.

19. robjulo macrumors 65816

So why even comment?

20. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Because other readers considering installing this app might be interested in an opinion of the company that makes the app?

21. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

Pot calling the kettle...?

Could easily ask you the same thing, but forums are for sharing opinions. Threads are like guideposts. They help steer a discussion, but they don’t act like solid walls.

22. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

That's your choice but Google do make have some great apps and products. I have no issue with them having my data, I consider it a fair trade and I go into it with eyes wide open. They don't have my bank card and pin number, they have a limited amount of info which I couldn't care less if they have, use, sell or whatever. People love to say how evil Google is with "you are the product" claims, so what? Show me someone who has signed up to a Google product and had something hideous happen because of it.

On a different note it's a shame that they've increased pricing by 20% for GSuite users today.

23. Razeus macrumors 603

There's always at least one of these comments in a Google related thread. And they are always wrong on how Google makes its money.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I hope they improve offline support. It's so hit and miss currently as to be almost useless.

25. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

Your view is flawed... With digital information you not only need to have a historical view of what Google as done with the data you've given to them, but a future view of what they may do with that data. Remember, digital information never degrades or rots and lasts forever. Additionally, Google owns the information you've uploaded so even if you think Google is great today you may not think so in 10 or 20 years when Google and its data is now owned by some company using your data for reasons you don't like.

If you don't give a company a reason to exploit your data (i.e. don't give them the data to exploit) they can never disappoint you.

Can you enlighten the group on how Alphabet makes its money?

As Alphabet is very much aware that targeted advertising based on user data is their primary revenue source...

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...kq42017.htm#sDFF4659E47B3F771F6E978DBC5993A59