Gmail (using exchange active sync) no longer syncing read status

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by profets, Sep 13, 2014.

1. profets macrumors 601

I noticed it during the beta, and am still seeing it in the GM of iOS on iPhone and iPad.

One of the reasons I stuck with Gmail was to use it on my iPhone and iPad via Exchange Activesync. For years its been great, always live syncing in both directions, across all devices. I get a few new emails, showing on the lock screen of both devices, and for example if I pick up the iPhone and read or delete those emails, they'd instantly disappear from the lock screen of my iPad.

With iOS 8 it's no longer happening. I can leave my iPad all day sitting, triage emails on my iPhone or Mac, and they'll sit unread on the iPad (shown on the lock screen and in the mail app) until I open Mail and let it manually update.

Anyone else using an exchange account on multiple devices experience this at all?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Gmail dropped exchange support over a year ago. It only worked if you were on the same devise when they dropped it, and went you got a new phone, exchange is no longer supported.

3. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Should have been clearer I guess when I posted. I'm on a google apps plan includes exchange activesync (it's the main reason I even signed up with it to begin with). Besides, this isn't a new phone and as I said exchange connection to Gmail works, but keeping read status synced has stopped working with iOS 8.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Oh sorry about that. I hope you find a fix to you issue :)

5. profets thread starter macrumors 601

6. ckavanas macrumors member

I think I'm having the same problem, Google Apps for Business user. On the lock screen iOS 8 GM iPhone 5s, it's not clearing new emails that I've already read on Gmail on my PC.

Is this the problem you're having?

7. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, exactly!

8. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Also getting this between my iPhone 5S and iPad Air both running iOS 8.

I never had this problem on iOS 7 either.

I have a Google Apps email setup as an exchange account.

Time to report this issue to Apple I think :)

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Been having this issue in iOS 7 for the last few months suddenly and now with iOS 8 GM as well.

10. jww062 macrumors member

We aren't having that problem, but since updating to 8 GM, our Google Apps for Business accounts are not keeping messages in the original conversation when replying... it starts a new conversation/thread in both the phone and Gmail's webmail. Seems as though it's trashing the thread ID in the headers.

11. ckavanas macrumors member

Dumb question, but is this still happening in the public release of iOS 8?

Yes, I know that the GM and the public are the same... but didn't hurt to ask.

12. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Not a dumb question :)

I tried it with multiple new iPhones and existing iPhones that have been updated to iOS 8. Still not working as before.

13. ckavanas macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

Shame, I'll be on iOS 7 for a little while then... See you when 8.0.1 is released profets! Lol

14. profets thread starter macrumors 601

LOL!

Honestly this is driving me crazy. I have multiple devices and am so used to only seeing actual unread items on the lock screen.

15. royinla14 macrumors 6502

I have the same issue. One thing to note though is that when unlocking the device, the badge count will not show those read emails as unread. So at least this syncs.

16. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Good point, I notice that too. So at least it's purely the lock screen that's not getting updated and not the mail app itself.

17. ckavanas macrumors member

Well profets, have you updated to 8.0.1 yet? Is it still an issue?

Thanks.

18. Apothacarion macrumors member

Apothacarion

This is happening with Outlook.com email as well, which is MS exchange. The badge updates, but the lock screen does not as it did in iOS 7. Hopefully the next update fixes this.

19. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Not yet.. I was travelling yesterday and then saw all the 8.0.1 craziness when i checked macrumors last night. Hopefully something changes with 8.0.2.

20. blhoward2, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

blhoward2 macrumors 6502a

It appears that they have made the notifications on the lock screen static and independant of the read status. If you swipe left on an email notificaiton, you can now click the little x, which removes the notification but does not mark the email as read.

I'm not sure this is a bug versus a design change. Regardless, I bet it gets fixed eventually.

21. profets thread starter macrumors 601

I hope it wasnt a purposely done design change. Pretty terrible if so. Those actions on the lock screen for mail items are great. But still a bit dumb if you do it on one device and it doesn't update others. Imagine Messages worked like that?

22. ckavanas macrumors member

Someone check 8.0.2? It's out

Thanks.

23. profets thread starter macrumors 601

Who's brave enough to go first?

24. ckavanas macrumors member

Come onnnnn

Lol

25. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this was resolved in 8.0.2.