Go on... List your Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BreakGuy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

So with that, fire away yours.

----------

My biggest is people who can't spell 'definitely' correctly.

• Definately
    • Definatly
    • Definantly
    • Definetly and
    • Definently
    are definitely not the right way to spell it.

2. avro707, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

avro707 macrumors 6502a

You drive at the speed limit on a tunnel exit, and you have a heavy truck driver sitting right on your bumper bar tailgating you.

What do they expect you to do, drive 20km/h over the speed limit (and get pinged by the cameras)? That drives me nuts!

Memo to said truck drivers - your antics might be on camera in full high definition for the viewing pleasure of the Police...

I think we need 007's Aston Martin DB5 with those lovely little multi-pronged nails that can be dropped from behind the car.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

In addition to that, I can't stand people who drive 10 - 20km/h slower than the speed limit simply because there is a cop in front of them. Sure, they won't get a ticket for speeding, but they risk getting ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic.

4. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

-Subjects and verbs not agreeing in speaking
    -People that have poor table manners (chew with their mouths open, use their forks and knives as if they are savages, etc.)
    -People not re-racking their weights at the gym. Oh my god, this one is probably one of my new top pet peeves....

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, this would be one of mine as well. Especially when there isn't a cop and they are just doing it for no reason. And, people that drive 10mph less than speed limit in the left lane when there are multiple lanes. I wish everyone would just let people pass if they wish to drive faster, especially on multi-lane roads where it is safe to do so. It's also very considerate to pull over to let traffic by if you are carrying a heavy load and are not going fast, however very few people actually do this anymore.
    Another traffic related things that annoys me is when a semi driver going 37mph decides he needs the other lane to pass another semi driver doing 35mph, while driving up a mountain freeway where the speed limit is 65 or 75. Last weekend when going skiing I was a meter away from getting hit when a truck driver randomly pulled out in front of me on a 2 lane freeway to pass, without even using a turn signal. Luckily I was paying attention (I was driving almost exactly 65) and had enough time to apply my brakes quickly. Luckily the next car behind me was far away.

The only other one I can think of is people that touch my screen. I don't mention anything usually, but I clean my screen as soon as I can. :)

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Companies will terrible customer service, inconsiderate people, and loud roommates are the first things that come to mind.

7. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Another traffic peeve of mine is people who brake THEN indicate that they're turning. Nothing worse than someone braking for what I can gather being no reason at all. At least if you indicate first I have warning that you're gonna be braking.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Stupidity.

The inability to anticipate the consequences of one's actions.

Nationalism.

Organized religion.

(Not belief in a deity - but the corporations of religion.)

9. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Yes! I absolutely can not stand this.It makes me slightly ticked off just thinking about it...

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I could list a couple driving related ones, but lately my road travels have been very happy. :)

My current pet peeve is people using their phones while eating a meal with you, or even while talking to you face-to-face. WTF?

11. avro707, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

avro707 macrumors 6502a

Another peeve of mine is the muscle car drivers going on "cruises" late on Friday or Saturday nights. Backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards at least 10 times. Noisy...

Deliberately noisy driving - going away slowly and then flooring it to spin the rear wheels and make lots of noise. And the beeping the horn at the lights while they look across at each other trying to sort out their next traffic light drag race. :rolleyes:

I like fast cars yes, but not when they are driving illegally like that. Go to the race track which is out of suburbia and have all the fun you want in a safe environment.

Ah yes, the infamous "elephant racing" - the trucks running side-by-side at slow speed, especially going up a hill. Or in a dual-lane tunnel (both lanes going the same direction). They should be banned from using the middle (fast) lane.

Oh yes, and touching the Apple glossy displays is another of my peeves too - I hate that. Don't touch the screen. All of mine shall remain pristine and free of smudges and finger-prints.

Another one I can think of is people entering the motorway entry ramp and then slowing right down to a stop for no reason, especially when the entry ramp flows onto its own dedicated lane that allows slow vehicles to safely accelerate to the motorway speeds.

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

People who see me holding the door for them and instead of them holding it for the people behind them, they don't even touch it and expect me to keep holding it.

13. jaynone macrumors member

Same here!
    I also hate it when people are scared to pass a cop on the highway that is driving well under the speed limit, and instead tailgate the cop. I can't fathom how somebody is afraid to pass the cop, but isn't afraid to stay 10' behind them at highway speeds :confused:

Yes, at that point its not even worth signalling! I hate the people who only signal while turning the wheel, if I can see your car move before the signal comes on it doesn't mater.

I'll add to the list when people confuse "break" and "brake". "I'm going to buy new break pads for my car during my lunch brake!" :roll eyes:

14. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

lying, and a close second would be immaturity

15. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

When people touch my screen to point at something.

When the volume on the TV is not on an even number.

When people take out their retainer in front of you and set it down somewhere.

When people put on a new roll of toilet paper inside out.

When people try to freehand a straight line or attempt to rip a piece of paper in half, but mess up.

When people reuse old socks. Socks are meant to be washed after a single use.

16. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Stupid people.

People who argue constantly on walki-talkies/headsets.

People who talk about non-show related things on headset during a show.

Follow spot ops who don't listen.

Follow spot ops who can't keep their spots off the front edge of the stage.

Follow spot ops who can't keep their spots off the soft goods/curtains.

Follow spot ops who can't keep their spots still.

Follow spot ops who open their spots before they are even close to their target.

Follow spot ops who give unhelpful descriptions like "it won't turn on" and that's it.

Follow spot ops who manage to find every place they can go where they can't hear the announcements, and then never leave that place.

Stage managers who don't do anything productive.

Stage managers who say "Go...Go..GOOO!!! The lights aren't coming on," as they come on.

Directors who walk on stage with a mic, ask if it's working, then decide to hold the mic at their side, all while the mic is on.

Directors who tell repeatedly to take cues from the stage manager, then yell during rehearsal that the cues aren't happening fast enough or at the right time.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i really only have one pet peeve: hearing people chew loudly.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

Apparently, we do the same thing for a living. :D

As for other pet peeves, my list is so long it's easier to just say that pretty much everyone annoys me. :rolleyes:

But OK...a couple at the top:
    - People who are just ignorant of their surroundings and how their actions are impacting others
    - People who stop in a doorway, in front of an escalator or elevator, in a narrow hall, or whatever, to figure out where they are going or to talk to someone else
    - Drivers who stop or go reeeeaallllyy slow on a road when they don't know where they are or where they need to turn...just go until you see your turn, and if you miss it...turn around and come back.
    - One of my neighbors and his five ****** yapping, crapping little dogs, and his complete refusal to do anything about it.

19. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I absolutely loathe noisy eaters...

I also can't stand people who scrape something it makes an audible squeak, like nails on a chalkboard, or scraping forks across a plate. It makes my ears bleed

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Loud neighbors
    Bad teachers
    The sound of feet on carpet
    Dirt sink in bathroom
    Pee out of the toilet
    People who leave bathrooms foggy
    People who bard in public

I hate lots more

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this reminds me that i also hate the sound of someone scratching their skin and i also loathe my loud neighbors who live below me since it is just disrespectful.

if i keep reading this thread i'm just going to get angry.

22. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Ugh, I hate neighbors that complain to the landlords/authorities without trying to resolve a matter. To heck, I've seen some passive aggressive wimps leave a note on a bush complaining about how the owner of the house doesn't trim it enough and thus gets in the way of the sidewalk. Sorry about my rant. :eek:

23. Nick16 macrumors regular

Basically any mouth/nose/chewing noises or sounds that aren't exactly necessary or are repetitive... e.g. obnoxious chewing, repeated small sniffles, etc.

People taking my pens. For some reason I'm really particular about my pens.

Any repetitive noise when all else is dead silent.

Ignorant spelling mistakes (their/there/they're, it's/its).

When people squeeze a tube of toothpaste from the top leaving a big flat section between the cap and the rest of the tube (which is full). This is as opposed to pushing from the bottom so as to keep the upper portion of the tube full for easy disposal.

24. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

People tapping me on the head, irritates me to the point of physical violence. Not something I'm proud of but at the end of the day, that's me.

25. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

That's a big traffic peeve for me as well.