Go with iphone 4 or wait more for the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macnewbbie, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. macnewbbie macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    So im most likely going to get an iphone but im having some doubts. The thing is i could get the iphone 4 now because i have a good deal for one and then in a few months the ipad 2 or possibly the 3, or i could wait some more months and just get the iphone 5(probably wouldn't be able to get the ipad, don't know).
    But some of the upgrades the 5 is going to get are bugging me, which are the bigger screen and the a5 processor.

    Right now i have a phone with 3.2 touchscreen and i hate to type in it, i can't use qwerty, i use keypad and still is a pain to use. The iphone 4 has 3.5 but i don't know if it's good for texting and the possibility of the bigger screen in the 5 ( maybe 3.7 inch screen according to rumors) are making me undecided.
    Do you think it will be a big difference mostly in typing from a 3.5 to a 3.7? I think i will see differences from the 3.2 to 3.5 but i don't know.

    Other thing is the processor. I don't plan to use those "super games" that require a good processor but i do like the option and appreciate good speed when using the OS/phone. It will be a big difference from the current a4 to the a5?

    If you were in my situation what would you do : get the good deal iphone 4 + an ipad or wait for the iphone 5(making chances of getting an ipad uncertain or delay it) ?

    sorry for the long post, but i like to explain everything:D!
  2. NJFP macrumors 6502

    Feb 18, 2009
    Go with the 4. I'm completely satisfied with mine. I don't play the "super games" so that part isn't important to me. I came from Blackberry's and the iP4 just blows them away! Speed, ease of use, and especially email. Haven't looked back!!
  3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030


    Sep 3, 2011
    Just hold out one more month. You don't want to pay for something when you could have brand new for the same price in one month. And if you don't like the fifth iPhone you could always still opt for the 4. It's a win-win.
  4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a


    Mar 12, 2006
    Columbia, SC
  5. ct2k7 macrumors 603


    Aug 29, 2008
    London or Florida
    It might not be the same price, but the iPhone 4 will certainly be of lower price.
  6. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    I will wait anyways to see whats new, im not in a hurry but the thing is that i can get the iphone 4 with a great deal and then get an ipad, but if i get the 5, besides having to wai some more months(which is not really the problem), i probably won't be able to get an ipad.
    Do you guys think i will notice the difference of the processors just by using the OS for regular functions and the "not so exigent" apps?
    What about the screen, will it be a big difference, especially in terms of typing? I haven't tested out an iphone in a long time so i don't even remember if i can type okay on it or not :S
  7. ann713 macrumors 65816

    Nov 30, 2008
    Wouldn't you get an even greater discount when the iPhone 5 is released (if you still want an iPhone 4)? All the better to wait in my opinion. In terms of typing on the touch screen, I don't expect any difference. My typing experience from the 3G iPhone to the iPhone 4 has been the same.
  8. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

    May 25, 2010
    yeah iPhone 4 with probably 8gig of storage will be the lower cost model.
  9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816


    Nov 8, 2010
    South Carolina
    +1 it's so close now...you'll kick yourself for not waiting.
  10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

    Jan 11, 2011
    Smart/patient or stupid/impatient?

    Depends on what someone wants to be...
  11. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    For me the problem is not the waiting, i don't mind waiting and i will wait anyways to see the new iphone, the dilema is if even after the iphone 5, the 4 will still be a good/up to date phone because i can get a good deal, even with the new low cost version.
  12. malias4 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 21, 2011
    Greece and Holland
    i think you should wait, its prob here by oktober, if it was like 3 - months i d say buy the 4 now but for me u better wait a litle :)
  13. Ramio macrumors 6502a


    Sep 13, 2011
    Houston, TeXas
    I just sold my iphone 4 3 weeks ago so I can get the 4s/5. Even if its a 4s, its going have a 1ghz dual core processor and an 8 mp camera. Just based on that, I would wait. It's too close to the launching to get the 4. I would wait.
  14. RobT macrumors 6502a


    Dec 20, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah at this point (9/14/11) you gotta wait. We're too close to a new iPhone to get the iPhone 4 today.
  15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000


    Nov 11, 2010
    Carnegie and Ontario
    As with your previous reasons for waiting for the iPhone 5, I'm sure if they include the A5 in it you'll likely see not only a great performance boost in your phone, which you said you may not necessarily need, but the A5 is also more battery efficient than the A4.

    That said, the A5 coupled with a new GPU and possibly a bigger screen(I for one like the idea of this screen) with more pixels would probably make that efficiency negligible.
  16. SXR macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2007
  17. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2007

    Last upgrade, if you purchased the iPhone 3Gs, within a certain timeframe (I forget) they would let you upgrade to the neweest model.

    Im coming from a BB back to iPhone (Launch day veteran) and this crossed my mind, however im not in a huge hurry to upgrade, and this would cause a hassle for me to do anyway.
  18. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    Hello. Sorry for not answering before but i wasnt able to. Thanks for all the answers.
    So here is the reason i got undecided: my carrier lets me get the iphone 4 for free and the limit to upgrade my phone is this week. In my opinion they are making this offer of the free iphone 4 because they are trying get rid of the iphones 4 in stock. But if i want the next iphone 4S or 5 i would need to pay more instead of getting it for free on the contract.

    So this is the reason i got undecided because with the new models just coming out im afraid that i would be making a bad decision with going with the 4 considering the inferior processor, i don't even care about the camera but the 4S at least i would get a A5 and thats why i wondered if i you noticed the difference between the 4 and the 5/4s.

    Other possibility is to get the LG Optimus Black, which is also free and with bigger screen but considering this is a mac/apple forum,users would probably advice the iphone anyway.
  19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Dec 15, 2010
    You would be foolish to get the 5 now

    if you want the 4 wait for the 5 to be released and the price will go down.
  20. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    I think you switched the numbers a bit there but i got what you mean.
    The thing is that the iphone 4 ( the current one) would be free now but the 4s or 5 i would have to pay for it, i just don't know if getting the 4 ( current one) would still be a good deal.
    Also the Optimus black is confusing because of the bigger screen ( 4" against to 3.5" of the iphone, right now i have a android with 3.2" and i hate to type on it, can't even use the qwerty on it)
  21. Qoo macrumors 6502

    Jun 15, 2010
  22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Dec 15, 2010
    Well it would all equal out data wise and i guess depends what you will get tariff wise.

    getting the 4 would still be a great option as with ios 5 would make it seem like a new phone anyway.
  23. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus


    Sep 8, 2010
    This is my suggestion. Wait for the 5 (or 4S) to be released and then buy the 4 at a discounted rate.

    I'm going to wait for the new iPhone to be released and after the keynote description, decide if I want to get the new one or get the 4 for cheaper. I'm still using the 3GS so either will be a nice upgrade for me.
  24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Dec 15, 2010
    For sure

    the 4 is a great phone and will run IOS 5 smoother too.
  25. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 5, 2006
    You guys do make a good point about iOS 5, because the iphone 4 will also get it it will still be a updated/current phone.
    But it will probably not be considered for the next version of the iOS but that might also take some time to happen.

    Now other question that doesnt completely relate to the thread, but for the ones who have used a 4" screen to type and the used the 3.5" of the iphone, did you noticed a big difference? I have seen some videos comparing screen and it seems that the 4" is more "taller" than wider comparing to the iphone.

Share This Page