Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Boss has an iPad.

Boss going on trip that it would be nice to have Prezi (http://www.prezi.com) app installed. This is mainly due to the inability to run Flash native, btw...

First, I go to App Store - 5 updates. I select what app to update, in which I am immediately taken back to home screen. So, I must do this routine 4 times in order to update all apps. On Android, I just keep on clicking through apps, never leaving the Marketplace.

Next, I go to install Prezi. Now, I have to agree to updated iTunes policy. I read through first page, get to bottom. Guess what, this is page 1 of 35 WTF!

So, after page 3, I agree to agree, without really knowing what I've given up to Apple by agreeing (first born, organs for the non-benevolent dictator, etc...).

Then I finally get to install Prezi, Success!

No, not success...

I am informed that once I sign into my account from a computer, I'll be able to continue on this magical carpet ride Apple provides it's users to actually USE our devices.

This is a small business, and we have an iTunes account for company devices. I open up my Virtual box install of XP, deny those chances to update to iTunes 210-and-a-third and go straight to our account settings to "Check for Purchases," Success! I see Prezi downloading to my iTunes, in Virtual Box, which I never use.

So again, I try to install from my iPad, on a wifi connection...same stupid error.

So, I am currently downloading the latest iTunes to my bosses laptop, so she can download the latest iOS for her iPad, so we can install a Prezi app, that has the world's crappiest reviews to date.

And people say Ubuntu and Android are confusing platforms to a new user, please spare me...

I think I'm having one of those F my Life moments.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Lot of drama there
My experience has been nothing like that

I keep my iTunes up to date and I "update all" on my apps periodically
When the iTunes agreement changes, I simply click "accept" and move on

No need to make a seamless and simple experience so dramatic

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I'm sure this is a right old pain for you at the moment, but it all sounds very straightforward to be honest! :)

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Lot of drama there
My experience has been nothing like that

I keep my iTunes up to date and I "update all" on my apps periodically
When the iTunes agreement changes, I simply click "accept" and move on

No need to make a seamless and simple experience so dramatic

Its not Dramatic . Its pain in the a55

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

I have to agree. I'm getting more and more annoyed with the frequent updates to everything. It's not Apples fault alone.

It's just every time I use my phone there are Apps to update. Half of them need Wifi to update. It seems developers get Apps out as fast as possible and only then start to fix bugs because it's more important to get your stuff out first than to provide quality.

iTunes gets an update twice a month. OS X every month or more. I have to u[pdate an iPod touch, two MBP's, two iPhones and every update either bocks bandwith for an hour or needs fiveteen mouse clicks......

It's the modern technology that becomes more a burden then a help.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
OP....you are the duck who decides to update your apps one at a time. That's why they have an UPDATE ALL button.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I have to agree. I'm getting more and more annoyed with the frequent updates to everything. It's not Apples fault alone.

It's just every time I use my phone there are Apps to update. Half of them need Wifi to update. It seems developers get Apps out as fast as possible and only then start to fix bugs because it's more important to get your stuff out first than to provide quality.

iTunes gets an update twice a month. OS X every month or more. I have to u[pdate an iPod touch, two MBP's, two iPhones and every update either bocks bandwith for an hour or needs fiveteen mouse clicks......

It's the modern technology that becomes more a burden then a help.
If clicking a mouse 15 times is the worst thing you have to worry about in your life then count yourself very lucky.

Honestly, people would be up in arms of Apple or iOS developers never released updates for their apps.

The fact that apps are updated often to fix security flaws/bugs or add feature requests from users is a very good thing, trust me. :)

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
If clicking a mouse 15 times is the worst thing you have to worry about in your life then count yourself very lucky.

Honestly, people would be up in arms of Apple or iOS developers never released updates for their apps.

The fact that apps are updated often to fix security flaws/bugs or add feature requests from users is a very good thing, trust me. :)

Updates are good as far they are managed well . I don't mind if updates go smooth and I feel some good features are added through the updates .

What if updates are buggy instead of removing bugs

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

What you listed doesn't seem all that much. Just tapping and selecting update. Why didn't you just update all :confused:

If you're hating Apple's style which is the most user friendly approach, you better avoid android. Also if you're that flummoxed within updating/installing you may be better off avoiding tablets, and smartphones altogether.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
What if updates are buggy instead of removing bugs
This does happen of course - remember iOS developers are only human!
As long as they are informed promptly by users I'm sure most devs would find a solution and submit an update as soon as they possibly could.

jgassens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
I applaud your gusto, OP

Coming on here criticizing Apple products isn't easy. Your ipad could have exploded and blown your hands off and you'd get 1001 snarky comments on why you're stupid for not using the iPad with your feet and at least a dozen on how it was designed to be used with arm stumps anyway.

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
Coming on here criticizing Apple products isn't easy. Your ipad could have exploded and blown your hands off and you'd get 1001 snarky comments on why you're stupid for not using the iPad with your feet and at least a dozen on how it was designed to be used with arm stumps anyway.

you seem right lol

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Well, last week I had booted Windows 7 on my iMac and it asked if I wanted to update, so I said OK. Then, without thinking, I booted up Black Ops and was making some real headway through a mission when, reboot! Evidently, the little reboot question doesn't come up in the middle of a game.

NOW, THERE WAS SOME REAL DRAMA! :D

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
First, I go to App Store - 5 updates. I select what app to update, in which I am immediately taken back to home screen. So, I must do this routine 4 times in order to update all apps. On Android, I just keep on clicking through apps, never leaving the Marketplace.

I do agree that some things could be handled more efficiently, but I think you are complaining for complaining's sake.

The App Store on my iPhones have had an "Update All" button since OS2. Doesn't the iPad have that? It will kick you back tot he home screen afterward, but you don't have to repeat the process for each app. I thought that Apple added a Queuing feature to the app Store; if not that would be nice.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

As many people have said... UPDATE ALL.

Next point I'd like to make, you seem to come from the Windows world. Great! You know the importance of keeping things updated. SO DO IT. Your probably one of the millions of windows boxes with spam bots installed (those who don't f*ing update).

Now your drama is gone, and you realized that most of it was self caused.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I do agree that some things could be handled more efficiently, but I think you are complaining for complaining's sake.

The App Store on my iPhones have had an "Update All" button since OS2. Doesn't the iPad have that? It will kick you back tot he home screen afterward, but you don't have to repeat the process for each app. I thought that Apple added a Queuing feature to the app Store; if not that would be nice.

Yup it sure does and so does iTunes and the iPhone and believe it or not the iPod Touch.

OP you can criticize Apple all you want on a forum but if your are criticizing something when there is a solution right in front of you well.. Of course you are going to get some backlash.

Also, how is it Apple's fault that the developers are putting out updates? Do you not want them too? Do you want them to release a product and then well say see yeah we have your money and now we are never going to update that product again? I am sure when an update comes out that it might break something will fixing something else. I know I know this is hard to believe. Heck even the big guy's get it wrong sometimes IE Apple, Adobe, MS. So to think a small developer is immune from this type of breakage is foolish on anyone's part. I am sure there are never ever any breakages or updates that don't fix all the bugs in the Google/Android market ever! :rolleyes:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Also, how is it that your boss is about to go on a trip which requires her to use presentation software that has never been installed on her iPad. Is she really about to leave without any experience running presentations on that platforms/software?

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
As many people have said... UPDATE ALL.

Next point I'd like to make, you seem to come from the Windows world. Great! You know the importance of keeping things updated. SO DO IT. Your probably one of the millions of windows boxes with spam bots installed (those who don't f*ing update).

Now your drama is gone, and you realized that most of it was self caused.

Wait ! I am from Linux world and here updates are provided where they are absolutely necessary .

As for " update all " I don't think its wise to update blindly without know which update I require the most and which is in the bottom of my wish-list

toypadlock

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
UK
i like how yr not responding to all the people saying USE THE UPDATE ALL BUTTON.

it's pretty simple, i mean it does exactly what it says. on the button. you press that, you see, and it updates all of the apps. all of them are updated. when you press the update all button. it updates all. all of them. updated.

tell me if i need to make this clearer.

asifnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2010
i like how yr not responding to all the people saying USE THE UPDATE ALL BUTTON.

it's pretty simple, i mean it does exactly what it says. on the button. you press that, you see, and it updates all of the apps. all of them are updated. when you press the update all button. it updates all. all of them. updated.

tell me if i need to make this clearer.

Well as I have said sometimes its not a good idea to "update all" without knowing what app you need to be upgraded .

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Update all, top right hand corner...... its amazing what you dont see when your not looking.....

Anyways, all software asks you to accept new t&c's when you update..... Office 2011 did exactly that to me last night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.