GOD Ruling Needed: Requiring original install(grey)disks for Marketplace Sales?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by shu82, Dec 20, 2007.

1. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I was just wondering this. I understand there is an apple rule, but it doesn't seem plausible with most of the macs I own (Mostly pre- g3).

I sure as heck can't find the disks that came with the quadra I got new when I was 9:)

I was thinking 3 years (warranty time)? Or perhaps when apple deems them obsolete? (Like not being supported by Leopard)

Thanks!

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it seems to me the best thing to do is include in the description whether you have the discs or not. if you have them, include them; if not, then obviously you cannot. you just need to make sure potential buyers know exactly what they're getting from you.

3. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

That is true, I always would. But sometime people make comments about not having the original system software. I don't mean like Office (I know that is wrong), I mean like the grey disks.

I was hoping someone knew the real apple rule on this.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think Apple has an official rule, but apple has released i think through 7.5 free, so if it origionally shipped with that then if it is loaded on there don't worry. but I don't think Apple cares about it that much.

5. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Every Mac comes new with an OS. It would seem logical not to require OS disks if it's that version (plus free upgrades) installed.

6. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Not sure I understand the OP, but I as I understand this post, I would disagree that it would be 'logical' to *not* require OS disks. If you sell a system that you bought, that came with original grey OS disks, then by all means sell the system that way (I don't care what logic Apple may have otherwise). There is usually a Restore OS, and Install OS disk, along with the hardware test suite. This is not part of the usual separate retail version of the OS.

Therefore, include this with any system you are selling. Who cares what is actually *installed* on the system, the system could have the latest OS *installed* on it, but those disks that came with the system are the ones that the boot rom in that system will always boot up off of, incase you need to reformat/re-install or use Apple's Disk Utility to attempt a repair on a HD.

To me an used system (like the supposedly 'dealer refurbished' TiBook I just bought from Wegener Media, which has no disks included, neither retail OS or original set) without any OS DVD/CD disks has lesser value. Always nice to also have the user guide/manuals whether on CD/DVD or paper copy included. In short, the more complete the system being sold, as originally supplied by Apple, the higher the value, IMHO.

7. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I don't know how old your system but you can download System 7.5 from Apple ( link). You could sell it with that supplied / preinstalled?

8. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

I have seen people be told in the marketplace that they must include the original disks in order to sell a system here. Also, that this was an apple rule.

Ok, Lets say I buy some iMacs from a school and they have no OS disks. They are all stock config. w/ original OS. Why shouldn't I be able to sell them here w/o the original install disks? I know they are worth less because of this, thats OK, they will just be cheaper.

Why should it be banned outright to sell them?

9. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

I agree completely with what you've said -- but I think the OP was only asking about the Marketplace rule about including hard copies of all installed software.

For instance: I have a MacBook bought in January, long before Leopard came out. If I sold it in the Marketplace with an install of Leopard, I'd obviously need to include a real Leopard OS package in order to be within Marketplace guidelines.

But if I did a clean install of the stock Tiger system to sell on the Marketplace, and then was attacked by DVD-hating cows that destroyed the system restore disks, I don't believe it should be against Marketplace rules to sell the MacBook without the install discs (obviously, the lack would need to be mentioned). Every MacBook made until this month or last month came with Tiger and various other applications.

There's no question that NOT having the original install media is a value liability. The question (as I see it) is whether it's a policy liability in the Marketplace.

10. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

Exactly!!!

Now we need some ruling from the GODs here

GODs you are summoned

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm actually going to move this thread to the feedback section to get more feedback from the administrative team. I think it's a valid question.

12. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Well, the GODs of MacRumors (like the GODs of everything else) will say precisely the opposite of what I've said, so they might as well have already appeared and scribed their holy writ.

13. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

We shall see.

Thats why I was proposing a time limit: Like anything older than 3 years was not required to have the original system software.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That makes sense, as long as the computer comes with the OS that was installed originally (which I think is what you meant).

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think the idea is that if you don't have the system discs to ship with it it should come with a cleanly erased hard drive. nothing installed

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

my quick and dirty ruling is that original system software is fine if you don't have disks.

The spirit of the rule is so people can't advertise including a ton of apps (photoshop, final cut pro) and conveniently not have the install disks.

arn