Godaddy and sending from Mac Mail - Is there any solution at all?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pkoury, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pkoury macrumors member

I have seen other topics that have no solution posted in the Leopard forums. Now that we have 10.6 and the problem still exists it's time for a new thread.

The details.
    1. Mail is set up exactly as it should be per Godaddy's site, and their phone tech support.
    2. Mail is being received on a regular basis and works perfectly.
    3. Some messages send, while others refuse to send with no pattern as to why.
    3.1. When sending these stubborn messages - Mail quickly shows the status reach about halfway through the "sending message" progress bar in the lower left of the app and then immediately stops and says it can not send with the selected server.
    4. Changing the message slightly sometimes allows the message to send, but not always.
    5. Godaddy points the finger at Mac Mail as the culprit.

So what can we do to start the troubleshooting process? How can we find out what Mac Mail is doing when it decides not to send these messages and just fail?

This is getting really old, really fast.

Thanks in advance.

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid I can't be any specific help, but I can tell you that I used to run a business domain off of Google Apps, which used GoDaddy, and I was able to get Mail to run with the GD domain fine. So it can be done. Don't remember what I had to do though.... Sorry.

3. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm not 100% sure, I have tried all of the suggestions from Godaddy. They say that it is Mail causing the issue. One rep even told me it was a Safari issue. I'm not quite sure that guy knew what he was talking about.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have an SMTP (out-going mail) server issue. However, you have given absolutely no information that can be used to diagnose the problem.

5. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, I have been over the settings a million times with the reps, the documents on their site, and so forth.

The outgoing settings are exactly as they state they should be:

smtpout.secureserver.net
    password authentication
    ports: 25, 80, 465, 587, and 3535 have all been tried

There isn't any usual suspect causing the issue. I'm looking for something unusual.

Edit: Not to mention as I have stated, it does send email sometimes.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I use
    smtpout.secureserver.net
    User name: full e-mail address
    password: for that e-mail address
    port: 3535
    No secure connection (so no SSL or TLS)

It works perfectly fine for me from my Macbook with Thunderbird. I don't use Apple's mail since I have found it to be rather lacking. You may want to give Thunderbird a try just to see if it is a problem with Mail or something else.

You may also want to try forwarding the port on your router to your computer just in case it is blocking the e-mail.

7. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

I use all of those settings you described. I would really rather stick with Mac Mail if I can figure out a fix for this.

To be honest, Godaddy's web mail is junk too.

I don't think the port could be the issue because I am able to send emails sometimes.

8. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any ideas? What to do / check to figure out why it does this and work toward some solution?

9. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

Here is a video of the issue. I didn't feel like cleaning up my inboxes so I blurred everything except the cursor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7etm_nB2gQ

Oddly, when I adjust the message it sends. This leads me to think something is really glitched up.

10. Zyniker macrumors 6502

11. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Watching a blurry YouTube video of you poking about in Mail.app is about as useful and exciting as would be shaving with a fork.

12. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

It's an IMAP mailbox.

I hope shaving with a fork would be more entertaining as it was not my goal to entertain you. The video was meant to try and show cause and effect.

This isn't a popularity contest, I'm annoyed with the issue and trying to get it resolved.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have had issues sending emails from some email accounts. you can use att's servers or maybe gmail for outgoing emails. sometimes that's the way it is. if you have all of the settings right there is not much you can do. but you can choose another outgoing server.

14. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

15. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

I want to believe that Godaddy is the issue, but it seems like a combo between the 2. This sucks because they have pretty good rates when it comes to a hosted email solution.

There is no way to diagnose any of this so that we can accurately find the root of the problem?

16. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

The easiest thing to do might be to use your domain name and sign up for google apps using that domain and use gmail. That will work for sure and you keep your custom domain.

17. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I guess we are going to just switch to Google Apps. I was thinking about that for the past week but I was hoping this could be fixed.

18. technomystic macrumors newbie

mac mail problem with different servers

I have the same problem on a macbook pro and 10.6.2. IMAP sending from dot mac account

Started about 2-3 weeks ago. occurs with smtp.mac, smtp.me, smtp.att, smtp.embarq, smtp.gmail usually works, (not always) but gives that address as the sent from: which I usually don't want.

I cleared old messages from server down to under 400 and trashed mail preferences. No change.

Reinstalled OS 10.6.2. and Mac mail app, No change.

And yes, I checked all the settings ..... 7 thousand times. It worked perfectly for 10 years before 2 weeks ago with the same settings.

19. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

So maybe Godaddy doesn't just suck. Maybe something else is going on with Mail?

20. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Most likely. One of my customers was constantly having problems with Mail and Bellsouth.net. Though the settings worked perfectly fine with Outlook and Entourage. Since mail was only being used to send pictures from Picassa Mac edition the only solid solution I found was using gmail and aliasing his normal e-mail address for replies.

As I said before use Thunderbird. It works great and since your account is IMAP with GoDaddy everything should still sync fine with other computers and smart phones since the messages reside on the mail server.

What I like most about Thunderbird is how seamless the transition is between Windows and Mac OS X. All I have to do is copy my profile folder contents from one computer to the other and all my mail, settings, address book, calendar and tasks are moved (calendar and tasks require installing the Lightning add-on for Thunderbird). Lightning is also compatible with several online calendars for syncing (such as Yahoo or Google calendar), though not Mobile Me or MS Exchange.

21. pkoury thread starter macrumors member

I have really gotten used to Mail, and other than this issue like it a lot. Google Mail is currently not within the budget so I am back to this again.

Guess I should send some feedback to Apple at the very least.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, being on GoDaddy doesn't mean you'll meet hot women. Just sayin'.

23. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Why don't you TRY another mail client. Don't switch full out - just see if it works without the issue. That will let you know if its Mail or Godaddy. Easy solution if you ask me...

24. jonesrg macrumors newbie

Port 3535 fixed it for me

Hey, I just registered to say THANKS! The suggestion of using port 3535 solved the problem on my MacBook Pro.

25. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

How many mailboxes are configured on your system? On my system I have 4 Gmail accounts, 1 AT&T and then my GoDaddy account. Each of these are limited to *their* SMTP by checking the checkbox that says "use this server only" in configuration of the account.

Make sure that checkbox is checked and try again.

Take care,