Going "all in" on the Lion philosophies

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Are you taking the Lion philosophies to heart?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Yes, after resolving software incompatibilities

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. No

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  4. Maybe / Undecided

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As a counterpart to the other poll - "Who left Lion and reverted to SL" - this poll is for those of you who love Lion as well as the philosophies behind it. For example, doing away with discs and the optical drive itself whenever possible - which is more and more frequent nowadays with the advent of the Mac App Store. iCloud will only make this easier for Lion users.

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'd say one goes "all in" with Lion by turning off the app open indicator lghts on the dock. Do that and you're really buying into Apples newer philosophies.

And leave the scrolling alone too! :)

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yes. Indicator lights turned off. Loving Automatic Termination, Autosave, Versions & Resume. I'm really looking forward to more apps supporting these technologies (and Apple ironing out some bugs). I also have natural scrolling enabled and scroll bars hidden. I'm even using Launchpad. :eek:

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep. Natural scrolling, indicator lights turned off, etc. The only thing I did change was the multi-touch commands, I switched the navigation commands to the three fingers left and right for back and forward and then four fingers for switching spaces. I've gotten used to that and it was messing me up.

jW

5. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I don't get the whole app indicator light thing since it's always turned on by default how it's suppose to be or am I missing something:confused:

6. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

But only a handful of apps support automatic termination, so if you turn off the Dock lights, you could just leave some huge memory hog application running and never notice it (unless you use the not-so-user-friendly Cmd + Tab, which clearly wasn't Apple's way of letting you know what's running and what isn't in Lion).

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Then I guess I'm not buying into their newer philosophies :p old habits die hard

8. tkermit, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

For the time being, that's exactly what I'm doing. I had been using that one to quit my apps even before Lion though. It's actually really useful and fast for quitting a lot of apps at once. I just hold down Cmd+Tab, and then for each app I want to quit, I use my mouse to change the selection, and then press q.

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

10. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

What do you mean exactly?

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Lion EATS Snow Leopard ...... Lion gets brain freeze from eating Snow Leopard to fast ...... Lion's bugs will disappear soon after brain freeze dies down.

12. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Having dumped two Lion installations for Snow Leopard I took the test anyway. There was very little in Lion that I would want to use on anything other than a tablet and it goofed up some features that I like to use on a 24in monitor.

13. AnneStuarto238 macrumors member

Tomorrow i will dump my third Lion-installation.

So embarrassing, if co-workers & friends can't connect to Lion-Shares with their Windows7-Notebooks.. :(

14. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I think something like: some apps have ugly new metaphor looks, some don't; some apps have Fullscreen modes, some don't; some apps always resume, some don't; some apps do autosave/versions, some don't; sometimes Launchpad randomly shuffles apps, sometimes it doesn't; some finder folders work with the new arrange by consistently, others don't. Things like that?

Especially the very first point is a right shame, given we were so close to a unified GUI for the first time in X years of X :(.

Oh and the poll needs a "dammit I've tried but they just make NO sense" option.

15. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

While I don't quite appreciate iCal and Address Book's new looks either and am skeptical about the whole skeuomorphic approach on the Desktop, I think a bit of visual inconsistency is actually perfectly fine, as long as it's basically just decoration and the UI behaves and is set up in the same way . Makes it easier to pick out a specific app.

There's just no way around that. Third-party developers need time to adopt the new APIs in their apps. I don't really see how you can fault Lion here for introducing a bit of inconsistency at the beginning of its life.

That's a bug

I agree with that. The Finder does show some inconsistent behavior. Hopefully there will be some fixes forthcoming.

16. Rowf macrumors regular

It might sound pedantic, but how can you embrace a computer system philosophy?

Surely the way that you use a computer is built from the ground up, using the knowledge that you have gained since first turning a computer on.

I've gone through Windows 98 - Xp - Vista and various Linux installations and business systems and taken something from each one them to arrive at the way I use a computer now, which is comprised of the knowledge that I have taken from the use of each system.

First coming to Mac only a short time ago I enjoyed exploring Snow Leopard, having installed Lion I'm really impressed and enjoying the system as well as looking forward to new developments as Apple moves the Mac experience forward.
    However, I'd consider a computer 'philosophy' to be a blend of the knowledge gained by an individual by the use of various systems over a period of time, rather than an idea presented for adoption by a company.

Take a little of all that you know and choose what works for you.
    That is the philosophy of the individual.