Going back to Apple Store with my Macbook pro 2018

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chekie, Dec 20, 2018.

  1. chekie macrumors member

    chekie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    #1
    I am one of the unlucky ones with MacBook pro 15 2018 that has crackling speakers. It happens only occasionally. In fact, it only happened three times within the 3 weeks since I had it. And killing the coreaudiod process fixed it every time. Also I experienced a different but related issue: when I play videos on youtube with chrome or safari, the videos just quickly fast forward to the end. It happened only once and killing coreaudiod also fixed it.

    I talked to apple support over the phone and was told that I could bring it back to apple store for a replacement. I am wondering if it is worth it. On one hand, most people believe that this is a software issue, eventually system update will fix it. (By the way, I am running High Sierra with latest patches). On the other hand, some people just never experience it and new unit replacements seem to fix for others.

    So I want to hear from those who have or had this issue. Did the system patches (2018-002 and 2018-003) fix the issue for you? How many of you have any luck with replacement units? And for those who still have the issue, are you going to wait it out for new patches?

    Another reason why I am a little reluctant for replacement is that I heard something about replacements not always being new ones. Sometimes Apple uses refurbished, open-box, or exchanges devices for replacement. I wonder if it is true.

    Thank you all and have a happy holiday.
     
  2. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2017
    #2
    If it were me, I would verify that the replacement computer is new... if not, then I would keep the one I have. If so, then I would take the replacement. If the new replacement has the same issue, I would live with it until Apple corrects the problem.

    Joe
     
  3. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

    Pangalactic

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2016
    #3
    NO. Just no. It's a faulty product Apple has sold you, go back and make them give you a properly working one. It should work NOW, not 10 years from now.
     
  4. chekie thread starter macrumors member

    chekie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    #4
    Thank you Joe. Is there any reliable way to verify if the replacement is new?
     
  5. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2017
    #5
    Yes. Ask them if the replacement will be new or refurbished.

     
  6. Never mind macrumors 6502

    Never mind

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2018
    Location:
    Dunedin, Florida
    #6
    Let’s see now, eventually it will be fixed. Really.? How do you know it will eventually be fixed or how long until it’s fixed knowing Apple. If it were me, I would just send it back, give me my money and wait until it’s really fixed. I would not trust Apple anytime soon in light of what’s going on with the butterfly keyboard and the T2 chip.
     
  7. turbineseaplane, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

    turbineseaplane macrumors 601

    turbineseaplane

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    #7
    Just to agree with others here, get your money off the table.

    The only hope for Apple fixing this crap moving forward is if people are voting with their wallet and hitting them where it hurts.

    It’s almost like Apple is playing a game to see how much they can charge and how much the customers will tolerate and… Frankly I’m pretty shocked with what some people on the forum are willing to tolerate.
     
  8. chekie thread starter macrumors member

    chekie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    #8
    As much as I am disappointed in recent MacBooks' quality, I do need a Mac for work as mobile app development machine right now. So getting a refund and waiting for future MacBooks with hopefully improved quality isn't really an option for me... :(
     
  9. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

    turbineseaplane

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    #9
    Any reason you need the very newest ones?

    Could you get a new/refurb/pre-owned 2015 model that would suffice and keep as much of your hard earned money in your pocket while we let Apple figure out if they're going to build reliable products again?
     
  10. Camark08 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2018
    #10
    I would get a new one. No way I wait and see if it's a software issue.
     
  11. leman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #11
    I doubt it's a software issue since it doesn't appear to be a common occurrence. I'd certainly take the replacement. That said, do upgrade to Mojave.
     
  12. GrumpyCoder macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2016
    #12
    What does that tell you? :rolleyes:
    We've seen the same thing hundreds of times with faulty kexts on Hackintosh systems until someone supplied a properly working one. This is a software issue, period. It'll be fixed in the future, infact it's been fixed on the iPads as well. This is where Apple's priorities are right now. iOS first, macOS later... just wait until an update.
     
  13. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

    turbineseaplane

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    #13
    I don't know - if I were the OP, I'd go take any free replacements I'm offered.

    At least that's what I'd do if my own money were on the line here.
     

Share This Page

12 December 20, 2018