iPhone Going back to iOS 6.x.x

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kamilkp, Oct 6, 2013.

1. kamilkp, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

kamilkp macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I've watched a ton of youtube videos of how to downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6, and why it is not possible now (because Apple have stopped signing iOS 6).

But my question is: if i try to restore my phone from a full backup which i took on iOS 6, will it restore my phone along with that version of iOS? Or are backups just for data? And will restoring the phone to factory settings will restore the phone to the state in which i bought it including version of iOS or is it just for the settings?

Is there a some kind of jailbreaking way to go back to iOS 6? Or if not yet, do any of you think it might be possible in near future?

Thank you for your responses.

PS. I have an iPhone 5.

2. moargolems macrumors regular

Short and unfortunate answer is no. The backup has nothing to do with the actual firmware restoring.

The only way to downgrade is to have your SHSHs/APTickets saved for that particular version.

3. Arifater macrumors newbie

The answer is NO! You cannot downgrade back to iOS 6.

4. Markyyy, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Markyyy macrumors regular

Not currently possible...

When you restore your phone, you can choose which firmware version to install (by holding alt when you click restore), but iTunes checks to see whether Apple still allows it to be installed. Apple only allows the latest firmware to be installed. If you try restoring using an iOS 6 .ipsw, iTunes will do its usual check with Apple's software update servers, and you will be told you can't install it, and be prompted to download iOS 7.02 (latest firmware version).

Well known developers/hackers in the jailbreaking scene have come out with ways of downgrading devices to a firmware that you choose, but these methods are limited to mostly early iDevices. For example, I have an iPad 2, and I'm able to use a method (involving some software the jailbreak-scene developers have written) to downgrade my iPad 2 to iOS4 and iOS5 firware provided I have what is called SHSH blobs saved for them. These SHSH blobs are required for the downgrade. You have to obtain them for your own iDevice because they are unique to your own iDevice; you cannot use somebody else's that's been posted on the Internet. You can only obtain the SHSH blobs for a particular firmware version of iOS whilst that version is being signed by Apple (a.k.a whilst that version is still being allowed to install on your device). Obtaining these blobs ensures that you will have them for the future when a method for downgrading might become available.

The downgrade hack works through using some availble software (such as TinyUmbrella, iFaith, or RedSn0w).

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Even if thread starter had complete 6.x.x SHSH saved, an iPhone 5 could not be restored backwards to iOS6 (since it is not susceptible to the Limera1n exploit)

6. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

please go back to iOS 6 and stay there and never come back on these forums again since we wont be able to talk about the same stuff.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

The heck? That was unnecessary.

8. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

There are 10+ threads on this first page with the same comment. DO we really need another troll who started a new account just to flame iOS7? Mods needs to merge / clean this up because this forum is worthless having to navigate the same thread about how they hate iOS 7.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    Dang, you're being a bit tight in the shorts today, no?

10. Ann P macrumors 68020

Going back to iOS 6.x.x

The OP wasn't flaming, he was simply asking a calm and legit question. What's with the "troll" usage? Is that the word for anyone that expresses any bit of concern or dislike to Apple now? The nasty attitude on this forum as of late has been baffling.

11. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

Posts like this...

...and this...

...really make me long for the days when we had a downvote button. Now if we want to express our disdain for a post, we have to say it with words. And it's a lot easier to hurt feelings that way. I'm sorry I singled out the same user twice, but I didn't notice the username until I already quoted it.

Steviejobz, I mean no disrespect to you as a person, and I hope one day you understand that not everyone thinks the same way. You don't have to surround yourself with a group of people with the same viewpoint. That's how circle-jerks like r/atheism form.

The thing I really like about the MacRumors forum is the fact that these multiple viewpoints exist in the first place. It seems we can't agree on anything. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

12. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

What I like about MacRumors is the Search field. Before OP posted his question, these were on the first 2 pages of threads all with the same question and a variety of thoughts, opinions, and suggested answers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639330&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1642209&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1649327&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1647002&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1613532&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1640143&highlight=downgrading+to+ios

Was my response harsh? Perhaps a tinge. But if we're going to have constant new accounts w/ new threads to ask a question that has been and continues to be asked 100s of times then the forum becomes a massive $h*tshow. Lastly, OP toned down his original post which initially was more flamish.

13. allthatjazz macrumors regular

No need to play forum police. Takes literally 1 sec to glance at a thread title and ignore it - rather than going in it to complain.

It's a public forum with high traffic. You're going to get repetitive questions everyday from old and new members a like. Get over it or go hide under a rock. :rolleyes: