Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
On Friday, I finally decided that I was done with the iPhone 4S. I had switched from Verizon to Sprint for their unlimited data and the fact that my employer had a 25 percent discount with them that would save me about $16 a month on my bill.

I had been with Sprint for 6 months last year when I got the Evo 4G. Their 3G network was fine at the time and I was very happy with them. I just got to where I was missing the iPhone and came back in December of last year.

Well, I preordered the 4S immediately when it went on sale and was more than willing to pay an ETF to Verizon to lock in unlimited data and the 25 percent employee discount on Sprint.

After one week of Sprint's painfully slow 3G network and the very disappointing battery life of the 4S, I decided to go back to Verizon. I returned my Sprint iPhone 4S 16GB to them yesterday and had to buy another iPhone 4 on Craigslist since I had sold my other one two weeks prior. I was lucky enough to find a 32GB mint white one that was only two months old for $325.

So I called Verizon and had my service reconnected and imagine my surprise when the CSR told me that as a bonus for returning to them, he would make my upgrade eligibility date immediate. I was shocked and had to confirm it back to him. Yes, after just under 6 months into my contract, I am upgrade eligible right now. I was so happy. That was just huge.

I charged my new iPhone 4 up last night and at this point have 15 hours of standby with 1 hour of usage and my battery is still at 94 percent. With the 4S, I would be at about 65-70 percent. Not horrible, but coming from the 4 just being very spoiled.

Sorry for the novel but I just felt that I wanted to share my thoughts about this.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good job, Verizon! You can get the new Nexus in a few weeks, then the iPhone 5 next year. I kind of want it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You have immediate upgrade eligibility because you didn't sign a contract with Verizon. You brought your own phone.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
You have immediate upgrade eligibility because you didn't sign a contract with Verizon. You brought your own phone.

No, I was about 5 1/2 months into a contract with Verizon for the iPhone 4 up until two weeks ago. I decided that I was going to switch to Sprint for the 4S, called Verizon and cancelled my service knowing that I was going to have to pay an ETF of about $300. I then sold my Verizon iPhone on Craigslist.

So, when I bought another iPhone 4 on Craigslist yesterday and called Verizon to activate it, they just waived the ETF but I was still in my original contract until April of 2013. For some reason, the CSR just decided to move my upgrade eligibillty date to immediate as a goodwill gesture for coming back to Verizon.

The first thing I did when I got home was to pull up my account on My Verizon just to make sure it was true and it was.

----------

the battery is gonna get fixed with a software update. Bet on it.

Maybe, I hope so for you folks with the 4S that they do. I wasn't counting on it.

MikeFairbanks

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Battery issues.

We have an ipad (great battery life....ten hours of solid usage), and I have a new Iphone4. It won't get 10 hours of usage. The battery goes pretty fast. I usually, through normal usage, get to about 10-20% of battery left by the end of the day. Kind of disappointing to me. I don't really mind plugging it in daily, but it would be nice if it lasted a while longer.

I remember my old Nokia that I finally abandoned about two years ago. I would have kept it but you can't text with those old things. Push the same button several times to get a C. You remember.

But I charged that phone once every two weeks and used it a lot.

I know: Apples and oranges (pun intended). I just wish I could use my Iphone non-stop for a week. At least give us three days.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Battery issues.

We have an ipad (great battery life....ten hours of solid usage), and I have a new Iphone4. It won't get 10 hours of usage. The battery goes pretty fast. I usually, through normal usage, get to about 10-20% of battery left by the end of the day. Kind of disappointing to me. I don't really mind plugging it in daily, but it would be nice if it lasted a while longer.

I remember my old Nokia that I finally abandoned about two years ago. I would have kept it but you can't text with those old things. Push the same button several times to get a C. You remember.

But I charged that phone once every two weeks and used it a lot.

I know: Apples and oranges (pun intended). I just wish I could use my Iphone non-stop for a week. At least give us three days.

Personally I think you're expecting too much from a smart phone especially one with as many Internet and location based features as the iPhone, not to mention a large high resolution colour screen. My dad still uses an old Nokia "dumb" phone and typically charges it once every 1-2 weeks. Should I expect the same from my iPhone, even 3 or 4 days ? No.

Last edited:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Personally I think you're expecting too much from a smart phone especially one with as many Internet and location based features as the iPhone, not to mention a large high resolution colour screen. My dad still uses an o.d Nokia "dumb" phone and typically charges it once every 1-2 weeks. Should I expect the same from my iPhone, even 3 or 4 days ? No.

My Treo would go days.... It's been an adjustment with my 4 to nightly charging. That alone will have me buy apple care on it, I will cycle the battery enough that it will need replacing. Smetimes I can go 2 days, if i manage to avoid spending much time on the phone.....

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
People expecting huge usage hours should use their phones the same way as the old nokias, no 3G, no email or gps, strictly text and calling on Edge. I bet there will be big improvements in battery life.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
So they waived your ETF when you came back and made you eligible to upgrade? Nice!

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I charged my new iPhone 4 up last night and at this point have 15 hours of standby with 1 hour of usage and my battery is still at 94 percent. With the 4S, I would be at about 65-70 percent. Not horrible, but coming from the 4 just being very spoiled.

That's pretty much my 4s. Weird that there are so many different results. Anyways, good job Verizon!

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
O
Well, I preordered the 4S immediately when it went on sale and was more than willing to pay an ETF to Verizon to lock in unlimited data and the 25 percent employee discount on Sprint.

There's something missing in this story. Please tell me VZW refunded you the $300 you paid to get this supposed 'upgrade eligibility'? But I suppose selling your old phone for that much would have returned that to you.

Something always has to beget something my friend. Especially in technology.

Typical psychological game the carriers play. Another reason why BIG TELECOMM (VZW/SPRINT/SOON TO BE ATT/TMO) needs to be torn apart and the FCC needs to be audited.

Last edited:

singlestick

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Southern California
Personally I think you're expecting too much from a smart phone especially one with as many Internet and location based features as the iPhone, not to mention a large high resolution colour screen. My dad still uses an old Nokia "dumb" phone and typically charges it once every 1-2 weeks. Should I expect the same from my iPhone, even 3 or 4 days ? No.

Some people were surprised that the iPad had such a long battery life. Now, it has set the standard that competing tablets are judged by. Smartphone users who accept crappy battery life in exchange for "features" are setting their standards too low. This reminds me of a tech show I watched where the guests showed off all the extra cables, battery paks, and phones that they carried around in order to get through the work day.

Seems to me that a "dumb" phone is not so dumb if you can use it reliably.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
No, I was about 5 1/2 months into a contract with Verizon for the iPhone 4 up until two weeks ago. I decided that I was going to switch to Sprint for the 4S, called Verizon and cancelled my service knowing that I was going to have to pay an ETF of about $300. I then sold my Verizon iPhone on Craigslist.

So, when I bought another iPhone 4 on Craigslist yesterday and called Verizon to activate it, they just waived the ETF but I was still in my original contract until April of 2013. For some reason, the CSR just decided to move my upgrade eligibillty date to immediate as a goodwill gesture for coming back to Verizon.

The first thing I did when I got home was to pull up my account on My Verizon just to make sure it was true and it was.

----------

Maybe, I hope so for you folks with the 4S that they do. I wasn't counting on it.

The CSR didn't "just decide" to do anything. Here's how it works:

When a customer leaves one carrier for another, the carriers have what is a called a "win back" period for the customer to come back. Usually it's 45 days, if I'm not mistaken. During this window, if you return, they will waive your ETF and give you an early upgrade. The upgrade works in the carrier's favor because once you use it, you sign a new two year deal, so in effect the carrier is turning the clock back on your contract. Yes, they're subsidizing another phone but they're still going to make much more off you on the contract. Phone subsidies mean nothing, it's contracts the carriers want.

So yeah, Verizon (and any of the other carriers) will just about always make it easier for you to return and spend more money with them. ;)

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
There's something missing in this story. Please tell me VZW refunded you the $300 you paid to get this supposed 'upgrade eligibility'? But I suppose selling your old phone for that much would have returned that to you.

No, I never had time to pay the $300 ETF. It was only two weeks ago that I had cancelled. They bill you for the ETF. It's not like you have to pay it as soon as you cancel. They mail you a bill at the end of your next billing cycle.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
On Friday, I finally decided that I was done with the iPhone 4S.

So I called Verizon and had my service reconnected and imagine my surprise when the CSR told me that as a bonus for returning to them, he would make my upgrade eligibility date immediate. I was shocked and had to confirm it back to him. Yes, after just under 6 months into my contract, I am upgrade eligible right now. I was so happy. That was just huge..
Thanks for sharing your successful story.

I too am using an iP4, having bought only one 4S for my wife. After getting screwed royally with Apples dreadful Antennagate phone, I wasn't about to give them more money till they learned how to build a phone.

That, and to give up with the tiny old school display.

Having broken her fragile glass iP4, but still wanting an iPhone I did by my wife a 4S reluctantly. With the various bugs in it, I'm happy I kept the 4.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
The CSR didn't "just decide" to do anything. Here's how it works:

When a customer leaves one carrier for another, the carriers have what is a called a "win back" period for the customer to come back. Usually it's 45 days, if I'm not mistaken. During this window, if you return, they will waive your ETF and give you an early upgrade. The upgrade works in the carrier's favor because once you use it, you sign a new two year deal, so in effect the carrier is turning the clock back on your contract. Yes, they're subsidizing another phone but they're still going to make much more off you on the contract. Phone subsidies mean nothing, it's contracts the carriers want.

So yeah, Verizon (and any of the other carriers) will just about always make it easier for you to return and spend more money with them. ;)

I don't know if this is true about them giving everyone who returns an early upgrade. If fact, I had talked to two CSR's earlier in the day trying to make sure of the process of getting a phone reactivated with them and both of them had told me my upgrade date would still be the same as it was before, December of 2012. I had just assumed it would stay the same.

That's why I was so shocked when the CSR who reactivated my service offered it to me.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
I don't know if this is true about them giving everyone who returns an early upgrade. If fact, I had talked to two CSR's earlier in the day trying to make sure of the process of getting a phone reactivated with them and both of them had told me my upgrade date would still be the same as it was before, December of 2012. I had just assumed it would stay the same.

That's why I was so shocked when the CSR who reactivated my service offered it to me.

I assure you that is the case. They don't have a choice to an extent - what if you had told them you no longer had your a VZW phone? Force you to pay full retail AND pick up your contract? How likely would anyone be to return if it's going to cost them about $600 to pick up where they left off? It's called the "win back department" for a reason. And like I said, there is no downside for them in this scenario. It's all money. The only catch is a person can only take advantage of the win back scenario twice.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I have an AT&T 4S on order but I am thinking about returning it when it shows up. (Can't cancel) I am impressed by the Camera and Siri but overall I thinking that waiting for the iPhone 5 will be the smart way to go. I was really hoping for a new, slightly larger, screen but alas it did not happen.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
In my mind, the 4S is technically the superior phone than the 4 internally. But sometimes you don't really see a real life difference when you actually see the performance. The 4S is still on 5.0 and no updates that will bog it down eventually. Not downplaying the 4S because it technically looks exactly like the 4 but improved internally. I don't get jealous when the newer ones comes out. It is still the best iPhone out there. But being it is still NEW, we don't know the issues with it yet. Obviously the standby time is something to take noting.

But going back to Verizon and getting the upgrade eligibility is the bigger break. My stepdad got a deal where he just had to pay $199 (upgrade fee) to get the new Droid X2 to replace the first X that was starting to lag. Since he is a business man with a monthly contract of well over $100 and he is a valued customer for many years, he can actually upgrade every year for a newer phone paying about $200 if he wanted to. Verizon is that kind to him. Verizon is the superior network over Sprint and has the best current lineup of phones for this year. With Sprint, you can save money but you get what you pay for.

If next month's Androids like the Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR, or HTC Rezound don't interest you, you still got a worthy 4 to keep for awhile and you can just upgrade for next year's newest iPhone! Sweet deal from Verizon to give you back that eligibility. It is like getting the top free agent player on your team and you still have the #1 draft pick to give you even more options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.