Going caseless: beware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 10, 2017.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Well considering subsidies stopped and I got 450 for my two year old iPhone 6+. I put down 400$ of thay towards the 7+. Payments are about 20$ a month. Paying off the phone now would be about 250 and getting 600$ for on eBay will get me much more than trading in the phone.
    Remember I'm not considering that 400$ I put down as the phone was paid off.
    How much are your payments with no money down on a 128gig or higher plus phone?
    I forgot all the details that I figured out when I did this last year but sellling the phone for a good amount and putting. 4-500 down on a phone and repeating every year made more sense than paying 35-40 for a phone payment.

2. Macalway macrumors 68030

No, I use the nice leather Apple case on mine and it has saved the phone at least 5 times. It's CRAZY not to have a case.

But apparently there are super careful people who don't need a case. Super human types. Amazing

3. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

I'm currently going nude on my MB 7 plus but that's because I'm going to upgrade soon and I have insurance. However when I get the new one I will put it in an Evutec case and put a screen protector for about 11 months or so till it's time to upgrade again lol.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I must be one of superhuman types. I never use cases and have never suffered Damage. In some respects, cell phone cases can be the culprit for damage when dirt and debris gets embedded inside and scratches the iPhone and/or there have been threads where some cheap cases have had a reaction with the anodized aluminum, causing damage.

5. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

I had the 6s Plus 128 GB under IUP. Got the 7 Plus 256 GB. I only paid what Apple asked for which was the first payment up front. So no $400 down or anything like that. I "received" $539.08 to pay off the rest of the loan on the 6S. No one was offering anything close to that in October 2016. Also, with the IUP, you get AppleCare+ included. By offering me 1/2 of what I would have paid for the phone and AppleCare+, I received 1/2 the AppleCare+ premium back. If I sold the phone to buy the next one, I would have had to convince the "buyer" of the AppleCare+ value left. Make sense? My payments for the 7+ are $45.75/mo. With no interest, it's a no brainer. In the end, I pay the exact amount I would have paid if paid in cash.

6. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

My jet black 7 plus is caseless, my X will be caseless.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Exactly. Your payments are 25$ more a month for the same phone. I put down 400 so my payment would be under 20$ a month and I could pay off the 240$ or do remaining and sell my phone for 600 on eBay. You ended up spending 300$ more in payments then I did.
    I'd have to figure out the math again. If I can sell the phone and put down around 400$ on each phone it made more sense selling it then trading it in. AppleCare is a plus but yearly upgrades I didn't want it.

8. bnekic, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I’ve been caseless since 6s but with iPhone X it looks like that will come to an end which kind of sucks. I’ve had my 7 Plus naked since launch and not one scratch. Glass backed phones get scratched super easily and really look like **** after normal wear and tear.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

At the very least I always think having at least a skin on it (clear and transparent), looks the best aesthetically for the phone and offers some level of scratch-proof protection without making your thin iPhone look like a fat rugged piece of brick.

10. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I’ve been caseless since the 5S. I completely shattered one screen on the 6 but a case wouldn’t have helped in that situation. I always took extreme care of my phones before the 7+ but since I’m on the iUP I haven’t worried as much about it this time around

11. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Never bothered with cases until i got my 6S....dont want to have a case on it but find it a bit slippy to hold so i've got a very thin case just for a bit of grip. Never had an issue with no case before though on my 3GS and 5....iPhones are actually a lot sturdier than folk think and can take a bit of a drop etc without any real issues.

12. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

I may go caseless for the iPhone X and use a leather slip pouch with the soft microfibre lining to carry it around in. Bit of a pain when you need to get it out quickly but might be the best of both worlds?

13. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

What your payments are don't matter. In the end, you are paying the same. Difference is, I can take the $400 you spent up front and invest it. In the end, I pay less. That's not taking inflation in to the equation.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

If you sold your phone you wouldn't make more than trading it in? You must like the 45$ payment

15. jeyf macrumors 65816

the iPhone 10 is $1000 but with only 64G
    the 256G option likely 1,200

iPhones are now exclusively for the rich

16. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

256GB is a bargain at $1149. o_O

17. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

Yup - at the time all the prices were less than what I could have given it back to Apple for. The $45 payment is nothing to me. If it was, I wouldn't be buying iPhones that often.

18. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I used to be like you until I had a few too many glasses of wine one day and my iPhone 4 went flying and crashed on a brick patio. Haven't gone caseless or had a few too many glasses of wine since.

19. jeyf macrumors 65816

What's with the 64G? Wasn't aware flash memory came in such small sizes.

The 64G iPhones have their CPU's run slower

20. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Now you have more things to worry about. 45$ just went to 60 at the least. And November release puts next iPhone it released in September out of your upgrade window

21. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

Not really concerned. Funny, you must spend a lot of time worrying about how to pay for your devices.

The only thing I worried about was water intrusion and dropping the thing and breaking it. Now that they are waterproof, all I'm concerned about is dropping it. I'm glad we are where we are with these things because I liked Lifeproof and they became complete crap after Otterbox took them over.

22. DanTSX macrumors regular

I use a Tumi folio case on my 6S. First case I actually enjoy using. Slim, attractive, and protective. I will base my next purchase on if I can use this line of cases on the X or 8.

Prior to the 6s I always went caseless. The phones always scratched up, but they held up pretty well overall.

IMO the old 5c was the best to go caseless with because the plastic body held up very well to drops, pressure, and other unintended abuse. It did scratch / gouge however. But that little guy would slip into my pockets easily, and I always had a good grip on it. 4/4s chipped or cracked front or rear glass too much.

23. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

id rather not have basically another car insurance payment every month and I do like to save money wherever I can what can I say.

24. jeyf macrumors 65816

the new iPhone has TWICE the amount of glass to break.