Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

make96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
ro
I've owned a 6 Plus for the past 2 years and now I want to go for the smaller phone.Has anyone made this jump? I'm curios how much worse the batter is between these two.
I've stopped using my phone so much in the last months and I wonder if it can get to to the end of the day with moderate usage. (1h of music, Reddit, some texting, Twitter, browsing and a few videos on YouTube).

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I use a 4.7" iPhone 6S and I can easily get to the end of the day with moderate usage. I usually have about 30% left by 10pm. One would assume the iPhone 7 would have a better battery.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I used a 6+ for about 8 months and while it did have some very good battery life I have been really amazed with the battery life of my 7(4.7"). Love the smaller size as it is much more handily usable for me. The battery life is fantastic for the size. really surprised me. The 6+ is no doubt a bit longer lasting, but given your stated usage which sounds about equal to mine I go all day with power to spare.

Side note regarding the battery charging, I use a 6' cord plugged into the standard apple charger and have noticed it charges about twice as slow due to the longer cord. I have heard that a slower charge is better for the battery and charges it more completely(just web speculation), no at all scientific. I like to charge over nite and find from around 30% when I go to bed it will take up to 4 or 5 hours to hit full charge. Then goes all day and then some.

So better than my old 6+? Nah, but damn close and good enough for what I need.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
In an effort to head off possible future threads, realize that the 4.7" iPhone has a lower res display, with lower dpi. Just a heads up if you didn't know.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Yeah, regarding the lower res display I never think about it as it is so nice for being low res. I did look at a 7+ while in store waiting to get the smaller 7 and could not really notice any difference. The camera on the plus is probably a bigger selling point along with more screen real estate.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, regarding the lower res display I never think about it as it is so nice for being low res. I did look at a 7+ while in store waiting to get the smaller 7 and could not really notice any difference. The camera on the plus is probably a bigger selling point along with more screen real estate.

I disagree with the screen clarity. 1080 P versus 740 P was significantly different. And I own both models in comparison. The 7 Plus has a stronger contrast in colors and appears more vivid.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Re above comment about 6ft cable charging slower - If they're not MFI certified that's what will happen. My Anker / Amazon Basics 6ft cables charge just as fast. The Chinese noname 6ft cables are limited to 1amp on any charger I use (used a USB power meter my coworker had).

I've always wanted to go back to the non-plus but the readability of text on the screen is a very big reason why I'm still with the plus. I agree with @Relentless Power here - it's a noticeable difference for me.

Family members with the non + edition of the iPhone seem to always be complaining about battery life.

Biggest advantage though? I think the non plus editions are easier to use caseless and feel a heck of a lot better in the hand.

Reactions: 44267547

make96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
ro
The plus model has a bigger and longer battery but not by that much.
How you're making out now with the plus model? Does it last you the day?
It's a very good phone , but I've experienced frame drops since iOS 8. iOS 9 killed it until 9.3 when they solved most of the animations. The battery is still great (89% health, lasts me a day without problems) ,but ever since i bought it i had a hard time carrying this in my pocket (i don't wear skinny jeans).. the bezels are HUGE. And i'm annoyed because Apple doesn't want to use this screen at full capacity(PIP, split-screen multitasking would be 2 great additions, but .. iPads sales.. haha).

In an effort to head off possible future threads, realize that the 4.7" iPhone has a lower res display, with lower dpi. Just a heads up if you didn't know.
Yes, i know that, but the difference between the battery life of the 6 and the 6 Plus where a deal breaker for me.
That's why i asked if somebody made this transition.. i expect better battery from a phone with a more efficient chip and a slightly bigger battery.

Side note regarding the battery charging, I use a 6' cord plugged into the standard apple charger and have noticed it charges about twice as slow due to the longer cord. I have heard that a slower charge is better for the battery and charges it more completely(just web speculation), no at all scientific. I like to charge over nite and find from around 30% when I go to bed it will take up to 4 or 5 hours to hit full charge. Then goes all day and then some.
You may be right, but i don't know if this applies to the iPhone. My cousin owned an S7 Edge and when he used fast charge he would get only 4-5 hours of screen on time compared to 6-7 when he charged it normally.

Biggest advantage though? I think the non plus editions are easier to use caseless and feel a heck of a lot better in the hand.
I went caseless 5 years ago. My 6 Plus has been naked for 2 years and looks very good with the exception of a couple of scuffs in the corners and a few scratches on the right side bellow the screen.

Last edited:

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Went from 6 to 6+ to 6S+ to 7 regular. Very happy to be back on the smaller size. The battery life is much improved and with OIS now on the camera, I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much. The larger screen on the plus is nice, but nowhere close to being as useful as my iPad. As far as the difference in resolution goes, it's noticeable but nowhere near the difference between non-retina and retina. The ease of use one-handed use is well worth the trade off in screen size and resolution in my opinion.

Reactions: Sunny1990

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
With the kind of usage you describe, my 4.7" iPhone 6 usually gets me 1.5 to 2 days on a charge, and it's battery is 2 years old.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Re above comment about 6ft cable charging slower - If they're not MFI certified that's what will happen. My Anker / Amazon Basics 6ft cables charge just as fast. The Chinese noname 6ft cables are limited to 1amp on any charger I use (used a USB power meter my coworker had).

I've always wanted to go back to the non-plus but the readability of text on the screen is a very big reason why I'm still with the plus. I agree with @Relentless Power here - it's a noticeable difference for me.

Family members with the non + edition of the iPhone seem to always be complaining about battery life.

Thanks for your comment, your probably correct if your 6' cable charges as fast as the 3 foot.
These cables could easily be from China, not really sure, but isn't that where iPhones are manufactured? . Got a six pack of them, three 3' and three 6'. The 3 footers charge as fast as my OEM Apple cable does. The 6 footers charge half as fast. It's been my experience that with fast(quick) chargers the battery always seemed to deplete to quickly. I'm liking the slow charge so quite happy with them.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for your comment, your probably correct if your 6' cable charges as fast as the 3 foot.
These cables could easily be from China, not really sure, but isn't that where iPhones are manufactured? . Got a six pack of them, three 3' and three 6'. The 3 footers charge as fast as my OEM Apple cable does. The 6 footers charge half as fast. It's been my experience that with fast(quick) chargers the battery always seemed to deplete to quickly. I'm liking the slow charge so quite happy with them.

How did you come up with the scientific conclusion that with fast chargers the battery depletes faster and with slow charging it lasts longer?

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I disagree with the screen clarity. 1080 P versus 740 P was significantly different. And I own both models in comparison. The 7 Plus has a stronger contrast in colors and appears more vivid.
Don't forget the iPhone 7 Plus display is not best in class

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
How did you come up with the scientific conclusion that with fast chargers the battery depletes faster and with slow charging it lasts longer?
Nothing scientific. Just personal observation. With the past two or three phones. Not claiming anything is true or not. Just been my experience is all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nothing scientific. Just personal observation. With the past two or three phones. Not claiming anything is true or not. Just been my experience is all.

Its inaccurate.
The device can and will utilize higher amperage (2.1amps,10W) to charge faster and that will not result in the device discharging faster than if you were to charge it with a slower charger (1amp,5W).

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
so instead of explaining yourself you're just gonna give a pointless reply like that?

not my fault you can't comprehend my post.

i don't need to explain myself, your post makes no sense. sorry you can't comprehend that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.